• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2021 - 2022 Offseason Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still leaning towards Hickory, myself. But excited to see what he's got, wherever he is.
Lots to catch up on but also excited to see what he has.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possible Opening Day Starters in Rangers Organization

AAA - Cole Winn

AA - Jack Leiter

High A - Owen White

Low A - Tekoah Roby

I guess Leiter and White could flip flop in where they are assigned. I think by the end of the year they all move up a rung or two.

If Vanasco wasn't on the 40 man, he night have bumped one of these guys to the second starter, maybe.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm back finally. Have missed you guys and Ranger status. Please write down your password so you will always know it. I had been hacked and my bank account had been effected. Forced to have my computer scrubbed and that is what caused my prouble. Every thing was secure but SportsHoopla.
Special thanks to all you guys and @HaroldSeattle for your support.
Welcome back.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possible Opening Day Starters in Rangers Organization

AAA - Cole Winn

AA - Jack Leiter

High A - Owen White

Low A - Tekoah Roby

I guess Leiter and White could flip flop in where they are assigned. I think by the end of the year they all move up a rung or two.

If Vanasco wasn't on the 40 man, he night have bumped one of these guys to the second starter, maybe.
it sucks that those players who are not going to be on the MLB roster but who are on the 40-man can't play in the minors. Vanasco should be starting at AAA until this gets settle if it ever does

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Wilson gave an overview of what will be happening in minor league camp. He highlighted key positions, players to watch, and sleepers. Here is what he said about starting pitching:

Starting rotation: The Rangers have never built a homegrown rotation, but they have a chance to do so with the prospects who are edging closer to the majors leagues. They have a chance to do so with a deep group of prospects.

The closest is right-hander Cole Winn, the reigning Rangers Minor League Pitcher of the Year, and he has impressed the past month with four quality pitchers he can throw for strikes in any count.

The next few pitchers in line aren’t necessarily high draft choices, like 2019 sixth-rounder Cody Bradford and 2019 ninth-rounder Zak Kent, but they moved significantly forward in 2021.

Jack Leiter has never thrown a professional pitch but could come quickly. Fellow righty Owen White has seen his stock rise rapidly.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Wilson gave an overview of what will be happening in minor league camp. He highlighted key positions, players to watch, and sleepers. Here is what he said about starting pitching:

Starting rotation: The Rangers have never built a homegrown rotation, but they have a chance to do so with the prospects who are edging closer to the majors leagues. They have a chance to do so with a deep group of prospects.

The closest is right-hander Cole Winn, the reigning Rangers Minor League Pitcher of the Year, and he has impressed the past month with four quality pitchers he can throw for strikes in any count.

The next few pitchers in line aren’t necessarily high draft choices, like 2019 sixth-rounder Cody Bradford and 2019 ninth-rounder Zak Kent, but they moved significantly forward in 2021.

Jack Leiter has never thrown a professional pitch but could come quickly. Fellow righty Owen White has seen his stock rise rapidly.
has any team ever had a totally homegrown rotation?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All parties to the table please

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers have never built a homegrown rotation, but they have a chance to do so with the prospects who are edging closer to the majors leagues. They have a chance to do so with a deep group of prospects.
Let's take a look at why there is at least a chance of a homegrown rotation. If I had to guess how that would look based on our best 5 pitching prospects, I think I would guess that the 5 rotation mates would be Leiter, Winn, White, Vanasco, and Roby. If two of those guys do not fill out the top 2 slots in the rotation then it would be hard to imagine the Rangers pulling off a homegrown rotation. I think there is a good chance that 2 of those guys will be able to fill out the top 2 spots.

Now, for the other 3 slots. If 1 or 2 of those remaining 3 guys fail to be good enough, there are a lot of potential replacements within the organization. Some of those replacements are listed below.

Kent
Englert
Alexy
Weems
Henriquez
Rodriguez
Ragans
Bradford
Slaten
Latz

One thing to consider is the definition of homegrown. I would consider anyone who has spent 2 years in our minors homegrown even if they were originally in another organization. I didn't consider Otto or Dunning as homegrown. I think the only guys I have listed who have been in other organizations are Weems and Alexy.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is what Jeff Wilson had to say about the caching situation in the minor league camp:

Catcher: Another position that is being affected by the lockout is catcher, where Sam Huff is the Rangers’ top prospect at the position. His absence will give David Garcia, Efreyner Narvaez and converted infielder Cody Freeman some extra attention behind the plate.

That trio is young, having never played above A ball. Jack Kruger and Meibrys Viloria have the most experience of any of the catchers, and Yohel Pozo can continue to work on his defense. If the Rangers need a catcher during the regular season, Huff, Kruger and Viloria would be candidates.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What worries many clubs now is that so much more information is available. A player left unprotected in November might have gone to winter ball and excelled, long after the draft ordinarily would have taken place. Or, now that minor-league camps are opening, an unprotected player could arrive in spring training and show enough improvement to captivate opposing teams, making himself a Rule 5 target in March even though he might have been barely on any club’s radar in December. Executives fear a club would be unfairly penalized if it lost a player while operating under a different set of assumptions than it did at the time of its original decision.

• The player effectively would be penalized, too, receiving less of an opportunity in a shortened spring training than he would under normal circumstances.

A typical Rule 5 selection might arrive at camp in mid- to late-January to get accustomed to his new club, then spend the full six weeks of spring training vying for a spot on the major-league roster. But players eligible for the draft are now participating in minor-league camps. Those selected would be uprooted, then forced to compete on an abbreviated timetable with their new clubs, increasing the possibility they would be on the move again.