• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2021 - 2022 Offseason Thread

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Extensive Look at 2022 MLB Draft Prospects

Over the course of the next few days I thought I would find several short writeups on some of the guys suspected to go early in the draft. I will go in no particular order. Today's post is about Brooks Lee the shortstop out of Cal Poly. Here is the information I found along with a link to an extended article about him from Baseball Prospectus.

‐---------------------------------

COLLEGE PLAYERS TO KNOW FOR 2022 MLB Draft - Through The Fence Baseball

Get to know the name. Much like Henry Davis did in last year’s draft, Brooks Lee is a name that keeps gaining momentum. In 2021, Lee had a .342 batting average and an incredible 1.010 OPS. His 139 total bases sits near the top of all collegiate players. Of course, there are a few prep shortstops that will contend with Lee for the number one spot, but barring any major drops in performance, Lee should be a top-five pick in July.

‐‐----‐‐‐‐----------------------------
2022 MLB MOCK DRAFT 3.0; Brooks Lee, Druw Jones - Through The Fence Baseball

Between Carter Young and Brooks Lee, 2022 might turn into another Mayer/Lawler debate like 2021 had. I like that Brooks Lee can hit very well from both sides of the plate and displays the same type of power each side he’s swinging. He’s got the size you like to see for a shortstop of his caliber, and he displays quick hands at the plate and in the field. On the base paths he leaves little to be desired, but the rest of the package is there.

------------------------------------------

MLB draft prospects 2022: Ranking top 50 players in the class, with Termarr Johnson at No. 1

Expecting the switch-hitting Lee to become the most decorated big-league player in Mustangs history would be unreasonable. Ozzie Smith is a Hall of Famer, and both Mike Krukow and Mitch Haniger made All-Star Games after playing their college ball in San Luis Obispo. Forecasting Lee to dethrone John Orton (25th) as the highest selected Mustang, however, is more than fair. Scouts have the utmost confidence that he's going to hit, and possibly hit a lot thanks to his bat-to-ball skills and his track record; including his stints in the Cape Cod League and similar constructs, he's batted .357/.412/.513 in more than 400 collegiate plate appearances. (He did record more than five times as many strikeouts as walks on the Cape, though it's hard to knock his play there given he batted .405/.432/.667.) Evaluators are less harmonious about his chances of remaining at shortstop for the long haul. Lee, who plays for his father at Cal Poly, has great instincts and less-great athleticism; a move to second or third base would seem like a fine compromise between value and ability. Provided he stays healthy and reaffirms that he merits an average or better power projection this spring, he should go in the top five picks come the summer. And, perhaps, even first overall.

-------------------------------------

An Inside Look at Potential Prospects on College Baseball Opening Day

Quite possibly the best all-around player in college baseball, Brooks Lee will certainly turn some heads. The 6’2", 205 lbs. shortstop is nothing short of magnificent. Defensively, his range can be attributed to his quick reads off the bat, and his cannon of an arm can throw out the fastest of baserunners from anywhere on the field. At the plate, Lee is a powerful switch-hitter that shortens up when he needs to and finds a way to get the bat on the ball.

--------------------------------

2022 MLB Mock Draft 1.0 | Just Baseball

When it comes to amateur shortstops, Brooks Lee checks all of the boxes. Widely regarded as an early-round pick out of high school, Lee has done nothing but produce at the college level. The 6-foot-2 switch-hitter possesses a smooth swing from both sides of the plate, with the ability to grow into some more power. On defense, he has the actions, athleticism, and leadership qualities to stick at shortstop long term.

After missing most of his freshman year due to hamstring surgery, Lee impressed in 2021, slashing .342/.384/.626 with 10 homers in 55 games. Last summer, splitting time with Team USA and on Cape Cod, Lee shot up draft boards industry-wide.

The San Luis Obispo native was objectively the best player on Team USA’s roster while owning a 1.099 OPS in 21 games on the Cape. Although the quality of prep bats this year is very good, Lee looks to be the best player in the class right now.

---------------------------

Last edited:

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Over the course of the next few days I thought I would find several short writeups on some of the guys suspected to go early in the draft. I will go in no particular order. Today's post is about Brooks Lee the shortstop out of Cal Poly. Here is the information I found along with a link to an extended article about him from Baseball Prospectus.

‐---------------------------------

Get to know the name. Much like Henry Davis did in last year’s draft, Brooks Lee is a name that keeps gaining momentum. In 2021, Lee had a .342 batting average and an incredible 1.010 OPS. His 139 total bases sits near the top of all collegiate players. Of course, there are a few prep shortstops that will contend with Lee for the number one spot, but barring any major drops in performance, Lee should be a top-five pick in July.

‐‐----‐‐‐‐----------------------------
2022 MLB MOCK DRAFT 3.0; Brooks Lee, Druw Jones - Through The Fence Baseball

Between Carter Young and Brooks Lee, 2022 might turn into another Mayer/Lawler debate like 2021 had. I like that Brooks Lee can hit very well from both sides of the plate and displays the same type of power each side he’s swinging. He’s got the size you like to see for a shortstop of his caliber, and he displays quick hands at the plate and in the field. On the base paths he leaves little to be desired, but the rest of the package is there.

------------------------------------------

MLB draft prospects 2022: Ranking top 50 players in the class, with Termarr Johnson at No. 1

Expecting the switch-hitting Lee to become the most decorated big-league player in Mustangs history would be unreasonable. Ozzie Smith is a Hall of Famer, and both Mike Krukow and Mitch Haniger made All-Star Games after playing their college ball in San Luis Obispo. Forecasting Lee to dethrone John Orton (25th) as the highest selected Mustang, however, is more than fair. Scouts have the utmost confidence that he's going to hit, and possibly hit a lot thanks to his bat-to-ball skills and his track record; including his stints in the Cape Cod League and similar constructs, he's batted .357/.412/.513 in more than 400 collegiate plate appearances. (He did record more than five times as many strikeouts as walks on the Cape, though it's hard to knock his play there given he batted .405/.432/.667.) Evaluators are less harmonious about his chances of remaining at shortstop for the long haul. Lee, who plays for his father at Cal Poly, has great instincts and less-great athleticism; a move to second or third base would seem like a fine compromise between value and ability. Provided he stays healthy and reaffirms that he merits an average or better power projection this spring, he should go in the top five picks come the summer. And, perhaps, even first overall.

-------------------------------------

Quite possibly the best all-around player in college baseball, Brooks Lee will certainly turn some heads. The 6’2", 205 lbs. shortstop is nothing short of magnificent. Defensively, his range can be attributed to his quick reads off the bat, and his cannon of an arm can throw out the fastest of baserunners from anywhere on the field. At the plate, Lee is a powerful switch-hitter that shortens up when he needs to and finds a way to get the bat on the ball.

--------------------------------

When it comes to amateur shortstops, Brooks Lee checks all of the boxes. Widely regarded as an early-round pick out of high school, Lee has done nothing but produce at the college level. The 6-foot-2 switch-hitter possesses a smooth swing from both sides of the plate, with the ability to grow into some more power. On defense, he has the actions, athleticism, and leadership qualities to stick at shortstop long term.

After missing most of his freshman year due to hamstring surgery, Lee impressed in 2021, slashing .342/.384/.626 with 10 homers in 55 games. Last summer, splitting time with Team USA and on Cape Cod, Lee shot up draft boards industry-wide.

The San Luis Obispo native was objectively the best player on Team USA’s roster while owning a 1.099 OPS in 21 games on the Cape. Although the quality of prep bats this year is very good, Lee looks to be the best player in the class right now.

---------------------------

This guy sounds great. I like your Chase guy too

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing about Chase DeLauter is he plays against weaker competition, but then so do a lot of other guys, like all of the high school kids. I am curious to see how he does in the few games he plays against better teams. He played against Florida State to open the season and struggled in the first 2 games, but did better in the Sunday game.

I will probably save him for last in this exercise.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeLauter currently has an OPS of 1.344. He hit another double and another HR today.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evan Grant is counting down the Rangers top 31 prospects this month.

31. Chris Seise, SS

30. Trevor Hauver, OF-2B

29. Justin Slaten, RHP

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last night I had an idea: pick up tickets to the first series of the season still on the schedule, thinking that if an agreement is reached then that would be the de facto Opening Day.

The Rangers clearly anticipated people doing that, because they have removed the option to buy any single game tickets for any game.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What does this mean?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last night I had an idea: pick up tickets to the first series of the season still on the schedule, thinking that if an agreement is reached then that would be the de facto Opening Day.

The Rangers clearly anticipated people doing that, because they have removed the option to buy any single game tickets for any game.
I have tickets for April 14th. At least, I do for now.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What does this mean?
It looks like they are finally getting rid of the shift in 2023. It will be just in time for those teams signing Joey Gallo next offseason. This could substantially increase his new contract size, I would think.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What does this mean?

These are the things that MLB is said to have inserted into the negotiations at the 11th hour, causing the talks to break down. MLB is now saying that offering to negotiate them at all was a courtesy, and they can just force the changes onto the players if they want to.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are the things that MLB is said to have inserted into the negotiations at the 11th hour, causing the talks to break down. MLB is now saying that offering to negotiate them at all was a courtesy, and they can just force the changes onto the players if they want to.
I think current rules will allow them to implement those rule changes to begin the 2023 season. They would have had to have a change to have them in effect for 2022.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW did check and it does look like DT bailed for the Fordman board

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Today, I continue with another group of short writeups about one of the guys suspected to go early in the draft. Today's post is about Brock Jones, a centerfielder from Stanford. Here is the information I found, along with a link to two extensive articles about him from Baseball Prospect Journal and the Future Star Series.

Jones and Stanford are on a mission. After being ousted in the second round of last year’s College World Series tournament, Jones and his squad are on a revenge mission. They are a high-rising team that are currently ranked sixth in the nation. Jones is a former two-sport athlete, now solely focused on baseball and it shows. I wouldn’t call him a five-tool player, as I feel that is tag every writer and scout throw out nowadays with prospects. He can hit for average and power and is very fast, but his arm lacks. His glove is okay. Those are the two things he’ll need to perfect heading into the season. If the whole package comes together, he could become the third or fourth outfielder called in the first.

------------------------------

Jones is the biggest wild card in the class among collegiate position players. He recovered from a rough 16-game introduction in 2020 to hit .311/.453/.646 and to lead the Cardinal last season in homers (18), steals (14), and OPS (1.099). (Stanford had two hitters drafted, albeit neither earlier than the 11th round.) Jones' breakout occurred while he was splitting his energy between baseball and football, where he was a safety who played special teams. He's now ditched his athletic duality to pursue baseball unity, or, at least, to better align his play with his potential. He has an intriguing power-speed toolbox and he's shown a willingness to work counts. It must be noted that Stanford's hitters have a reputation for disappointing in the pros: Jason Castro, Jed Lowrie, and Carlos Quentin are the only Cardinal hitters to make an All-Star Game since the last round of expansion. The cave you fear to enter is supposed to hold your treasure, so some team will likely pop Jones in the top 10 if he has a good spring.

No one draws walks the way Stanford’s Brock Jones does. Last season, Jones drew walks on 16% of his at-bats while smacking 18 homers in 56 games. The 6’3" lefty is the definition of an athlete as he was also a member of Stanford’s football team before making a full time commitment to baseball.

In 2019, signability concerns landed Brock Jones on campus, and now he’s looking at being a first-round selection. Jones played football for the Cardinals his freshman year, then decided to focus on baseball, and it paid off. In 56 games last spring, Jones hit .311 with 18 homers and 49 walks.

Jones knows the strike zone, walking at a 16% rate last spring. The Fresno area native closely resembles a linebacker, with most evaluators believing he can handle center field. Another strong spring could cement him into the top half of the first round.

‐----------------------------

Top Baseball Draft Prospects

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 55 | Run: 60 | Arm: 45 | Field: 50 | Overall: 55

A tremendous athlete from the Fresno area in northern California, Jones headed to Stanford for both football and baseball. A safety who played special teams as a freshman, Jones gave up the gridiron to focus on baseball after that first season and his game took off. He hit 18 homers and stole 14 bases for Stanford in 2021 before showing that his skills were legit with Team USA last summer.

Jones oozes with confidence and started to really tap into his tools in 2021 to back that up. He has an intriguing power-speed combination, using a fairly simple and conservative setup to get into a good position to hit. He makes good swing decisions with a short stroke and has very strong hands, with plus pull raw power. While he’s close to maxed out from a physicality standpoint, that’s not a concern because of plus speed that pairs nicely with his instincts on the basepaths.

The former safety has good reads and routes to give him a chance to play center field long-term, though his arm is fringy at best from the outfield. There might be some concerns about a platoon risk and a Joc Pederson-like profile, but another strong spring will help prove that Jones’ ability to adjust will keep improving as he continues to focus on this craft.

---------------------------------

The Top 300 Players Available in the 2022 MLB Draft — Prospects Live

A two-sport stud, Jones played football at Stanford his freshman year before eventually giving it up to focus on baseball. That appears to be a good decision. An ultra-physical, muscled-up outfielder, Jones is tooled up across the board. The 6-foot, 205 pounder hit .311 with 18 homers and stole 14 bases in 2021. His strikeout rates remained healthy and he drew an immense amount of walks. Jones has a sweet, compact left-handed swing coming from a wide base with an all-fields approach. He has a ton of pull-side juice and can really impact a baseball into the left-centerfield gap. He’s at least an above average runner, maybe plus. He’s a solid average defender with a fringier arm; a toolset built for centerfield with more reps and seasoning. Given the athleticism and trajectory of his game, many believe Jones’ game will continue to grow and flourish as he gets more and more comfortable committing to baseball full-time. For now, it’s above average tools across the board with the exception of the throwing arm.

Brock Jones offers an intriguing toolset - Baseball Prospect Journal

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW did check and it does look like DT bailed for the Fordman board
I think he must have done so because he had no other alternative since he can't get back on here. That is a shame.