• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2021 - 2022 Offseason Thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you do realize that the Rangers would be one of the teams that would be included in any contraction talks
One reason I go the opposite and want two more teams is so we can get our of those West Coast games and into a division in our area

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had numerous teams lose over 100 games in the same year. I think it is a problem. I remember when the Astros basically put a AAA team on the field so yes I guess we have a difference of opinion
Well, I didn't pay much attention to what the others did, but I know the Rangers did not do anything wrong. There is nothing wrong with losing a lot of games when you are wisely rebuilding.

Sometimes teams lose 100 games and sometimes they win 100 games. That's how baseball go.

Every once in awhile teams do something unethical to win 100 games and when those teams(see Astros, Houston) do so, they should be punished. That doesn't mean every team that wins 100 should be punished as if they are all guilty of wrongdoing. Likewise, every team that loses 100 games isn't doing something wrong, and shouldn't be treated as if they are all doing something unethical. Punish the proven wrong doers and leave the rest alone.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One reason I go the opposite and want two more teams is so we can get our of those West Coast games and into a division in our area
The easier way to do that is to go to a balanced schedule. That is really the only fair way to do it with all of the wildcards. Wilcard candidates shouldn't have an advantage over the other ones just because they are in a weak division.

Moving the A's further east in the country or contracting them would decrease west coast trips for everyone.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The easier way to do that is to go to a balanced schedule. That is really the only fair way to do it with all of the wildcards. Wilcard candidates shouldn't have an advantage over the other ones just because they are in a weak division.

Moving the A's further east in the country or contracting them would decrease west coast trips for everyone.
and that would be the only excuse to do anything with the A's as they always seem to field a competitive team.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought I’d ask…… what do you guys think is the worst trade of JD’s tenure? the best trade should be nearly unanimous : Mark Teixera to the Braves.

I seem to remember Chris young and Adrian Gonzalez to the padres really hurt. The only memorable player we received back was akinori otsuka the reliever. Everyone else we received in that trade pretty much sucked.

I also hated the Brandon McCarthy trade, giving up tanner roark for Christian guzman, trading for cole Hamels seemed exceedingly costly and we got fleeced by the cubs every single time we dealt with them. Didn’t we give them Kyle Hendricks who is really good for Ryan dempster? The jury is still out on the Darvish trade. I wasn’t excited when Calhoun was the main piece of the trade, but if AJ Alexy can be a solid #4 or #5 then we got decent value out of it. Who knows maybe we can trade Calhoun for value somewhere?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I didn't pay much attention to what the others did, but I know the Rangers did not do anything wrong. There is nothing wrong with losing a lot of games when you are wisely rebuilding.

Sometimes teams lose 100 games and sometimes they win 100 games. That's how baseball go.

Every once in awhile teams do something unethical to win 100 games and when those teams(see Astros, Houston) do so, they should be punished. That doesn't mean every team that wins 100 should be punished as if they are all guilty of wrongdoing. Likewise, every team that loses 100 games isn't doing something wrong, and shouldn't be treated as if they are all doing something unethical. Punish the proven wrong doers and leave the rest alone.
having a record of losing games consistently over multiple years is the major guideline when you start talking about contracting teams

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Owen White, RHP, Texas Rangers

Bats: Right | Throws: Right
Drafted: No. 55 in 2018

The Rangers signed White to an over-slot deal in the second round in 2018, only to have him need Tommy John surgery that kept him out through 2019, and then the pandemic happened, and he finally made his pro debut in May of last year … and broke a bone in his hand. When he got healthy, though, he rolled: In his last three starts in Low A, he struck out 33 batters and walked 2 in 18.2 innings. He got stronger during all that time away from the mound, and now sits 93-96 mph with an above-average changeup and slider along with a curveball that’s his least consistent pitch for now. His delivery works and he pitches in attack mode, going after hitters with the fastball so he can set up his other weapons. He has just 35 innings of pro experience, plus another 28 innings in the Arizona Fall League, so we have no idea how his newfound stuff or his command will hold up over a full season.

Just miss lost via KLaw

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought I’d ask…… what do you guys think is the worst trade of JD’s tenure? the best trade should be nearly unanimous : Mark Teixera to the Braves.

I seem to remember Chris young and Adrian Gonzalez to the padres really hurt. The only memorable player we received back was akinori otsuka the reliever. Everyone else we received in that trade pretty much sucked.

I also hated the Brandon McCarthy trade, giving up tanner roark for Christian guzman, trading for cole Hamels seemed exceedingly costly and we got fleeced by the cubs every single time we dealt with them. Didn’t we give them Kyle Hendricks who is really good for Ryan dempster? The jury is still out on the Darvish trade. I wasn’t excited when Calhoun was the main piece of the trade, but if AJ Alexy can be a solid #4 or #5 then we got decent value out of it. Who knows maybe we can trade Calhoun for value somewhere?
The Gonzalez trade was terrible and the Soriano trade was pretty bad. He had several back then. He's improved since then. In recent times, the Gibson and Crouse trade for Spencer Howard and two no names, seems to be one of the worst Rangers trades of all time,.

Reactions: DTC

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To me it was Dempster trade

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Owen White, RHP, Texas Rangers

Bats: Right | Throws: Right
Drafted: No. 55 in 2018

The Rangers signed White to an over-slot deal in the second round in 2018, only to have him need Tommy John surgery that kept him out through 2019, and then the pandemic happened, and he finally made his pro debut in May of last year … and broke a bone in his hand. When he got healthy, though, he rolled: In his last three starts in Low A, he struck out 33 batters and walked 2 in 18.2 innings. He got stronger during all that time away from the mound, and now sits 93-96 mph with an above-average changeup and slider along with a curveball that’s his least consistent pitch for now. His delivery works and he pitches in attack mode, going after hitters with the fastball so he can set up his other weapons. He has just 35 innings of pro experience, plus another 28 innings in the Arizona Fall League, so we have no idea how his newfound stuff or his command will hold up over a full season.

Just miss lost via KLaw
White, Foscue, and Harris are starting to get a little respect. i think after this next year,Smith, Duran, Vanasco, and Roby will start to get more respect as well. Blaine Crim will have to do well in the big leagues for a couple of seasons before he gets any at all.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
White, Foscue, and Harris are starting to get a little respect. i think after this next year,Smith, Duran, Vanasco, and Roby will start to get more respect as well. Blaine Crim will have to do well in the big leagues for a couple of seasons before he gets any at all.
I was looking for Foscue but guess it should not surprise me that White was noticed due to his AZ visibility

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dempster trade turned out to be awful, but I can't personally blame JD because I was okay with the trade when it happened.

On the other hand, I was completely against the Matt Garza trade.

Don't forget the Koji Uehara trade. It was a really bad trade. And the Pedro Stop for Mike Gonzalez trade was really bad.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was looking for Foscue but guess it should not surprise me that White was noticed due to his AZ visibility
Foscue is on MLB Pipeline's top 100 list.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Since JD took credit for it, I will say the Kyle Gibson trade.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Otto and Hauver do very much at all in the big leagues, then the Joey Gallo trade has a chance to be even better than the Teixeira trade, when judged in hindsight.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Otto and Hauver do very much at all in the big leagues, then the Joey Gallo trade has a chance to be even better than the Teixeira trade, when judged in hindsight.

that's the thing with trades, you never really know the true outcome for quite some time.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kudos to Chris Halicke and Jeff Wilson. They have continued to provide great content for Rangers fans throughout this offseason.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3