• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2021 - 2022 Offseason Thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to depend on how serious they plan on taking 2022 to if they trade IKF or not sometime soon...
They have liked Davis W as a utility infielder. I am not worried one way another about IKF. We have plenty in the pipeline

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or if one of the high dollar middle IFers gets hurt???

I can hear the screaming now when they try to plug Ibanez into one of those slots and his mediocre defense becomes front and center for all to see... :nod:
Which is why we don’t give up or give away guys whose best spot is Middle INF. Don’t get underpaid on Foscue is we go that route.

I am on the bay corner re shedding prospects just yet. That could change in a year but we shall see. They may even draft another anyways

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Via the Athletic
The planned resumption of conversations about core economics marks a positive development in the negotiation process. But there is plenty of work to be done if the sides are to reach an agreement and avoid postponement of the originally scheduled February start to spring training. The first slate of games are scheduled for Feb. 26, and players typically report to major-league camps two to three weeks ahead of the first game. (Jan. 11)

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have liked Davis W as a utility infielder. I am not worried one way another about IKF. We have plenty in the pipeline
I'm talking about 2022 and 2022 only, cause I know someone else will "probably" be ready by 2023...

If the team is going to be serious about competing/contending to appease the fan base (as has been opined by a few people even though the consensus is they shouldn't) then he will stay for this year, if not then he will be traded is my thought process. If he stays they can play him 5 days a week even if Jung claims 3rd cause he will be the guy that gives people days off and will be a quality fill in especially if he hits like he finished out last year. It can also raise his value in a potential trade to get one of the last pieces they need to get over the top...

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to depend on how serious they plan on taking 2022 to if they trade IKF or not sometime soon...
In 2010 we went to a World Series while having Joaquin Arias and Andres Blanco as our backup infielders. I think guys of that ilk will be available to be had if we find someone to trade IKF to.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Dorow could step in and be a utility infielder in 2022. He played almost 700 innings in Round Rock at 3B, SS, and 2B in 2021. He played some in Frisco early in 2021, at the same positions.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2010 we went to a World Series while having Joaquin Arias and Andres Blanco as our backup infielders. I think guys of that ilk will be available to be had if we find someone to trade IKF to.

everytime I see or hear the name “Joaquin Arias”. I cringe! To think we could‘ve had Robinson cano instead.

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seemed like just a couple of years ago when the Rangers thought they could still compete (and had holes in the lineup) everybody was talking about the "super utility guy" Danny Santana and how well he was producing, instead of the usual scrub utility guy... :nod:

Then you have teams like the Dodgers who see the need for their players to get some R&R throughout the season to keep everybody fresh. So they utilize guys like Chris Taylor because they know what value they bring to the team. I wonder if they would have won or even gotten to the WS without a guy like Chris around :think: Just last year the guy with the most games played for them had 151 the runner up had 148 Chris Taylor, who got a lot of playing time at SS with Corey Seager being hurt and he produced for them... :D

Teams think differently nowadays, especially the better ones, you see very few/if any of their players go every game or even get into the high 150s. Their only goal is to win the WS and running your players into the ground during the regular season isn't leaving them with "gas" needed to get to and win the ultimate prize... :nod:

And if we look back at those Rangers WS teams that lost, how many holes did both teams have on their rosters :think: Just from what you said they had at least two and probably a couple more... :nod:

I'm not saying keep him permanently but just until one of the younguns can take his place (probably next year) and maybe he can raise his trade value further this year. His current trade value isn't that high only 8.5 so to get a decent piece back you will have to ship off one or two more players with him. (Just to get OFer Myles Straw 19.6 you'd have to add another 12 points worth of players to have a chance at getting him but more than likely it would have to be 15-18)...

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then you have teams like the Dodgers who see the need for their players to get some R&R throughout the season to keep everybody fresh. So they utilize guys like Chris Taylor because they know what value they bring to the team. I wonder if they would have won or even gotten to the WS without a guy like Chris around
If that is the case, then you need to trade IKF and sign or trade for someone better, because IKF is no Chris Taylor.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team still has several improvements to make in the starting lineup and other places before we make sure we have the best bench that we can.

Putting together a compete team ready to go to the World Series and putting together a team to go to the playoffs and make some noise are different.

Once the team finds 2 or 3 better starting pitchers, a much better catcher, a better left fielder, a much better center fielder, a really good DH, a closer and a great set up guy, then maybe they can add 3 really good bench players. You might want to upgrade at 1B before that too. The bench would be moves 10, 11, and 12.

I don't think we are getting to the second half of those number of moves in this offseason or even by the next trade deadline.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers pitching prospects have a mini camp in Arizona this weekend.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

White, the Arizona Fall League’s Pitcher of the Year, called it an “investment in creating a championship atmosphere.” Smith, who came from the 27-time world champion Yankee organization in the Joey Gallo trade, said it was evidence that the Rangers are creating a “really special organization.” Harris, the organization’s Minor League Player of the Year, said there was a focus on creating “a connection with teammates.”

“Everyone has a different definition of what leadership means,” said Jung, who could be the major league team’s starting third baseman in 2022. “But be a good dude, first. If I can invest in other people and them in me, the game is going to take care of itself. Because it’s not just about me or them. It’s about all of us together.”

Said Smith: “It’s about what kind of guys do you want around you in the clubhouse? Be that kind of guy.”

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

White, the Arizona Fall League’s Pitcher of the Year, called it an “investment in creating a championship atmosphere.” Smith, who came from the 27-time world champion Yankee organization in the Joey Gallo trade, said it was evidence that the Rangers are creating a “really special organization.” Harris, the organization’s Minor League Player of the Year, said there was a focus on creating “a connection with teammates.”

“Everyone has a different definition of what leadership means,” said Jung, who could be the major league team’s starting third baseman in 2022. “But be a good dude, first. If I can invest in other people and them in me, the game is going to take care of itself. Because it’s not just about me or them. It’s about all of us together.”

Said Smith: “It’s about what kind of guys do you want around you in the clubhouse? Be that kind of guy.”
Some good stuff there. Jung and Smith comments remind me of Beltre.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In his first intervuew with an American reporter, Suzuki had a question of his own, and it bodes well for the Rangers. Here is an excerpt from an article about that interview.

Suzuki was wrapping up his first interview with an American reporter — his first, anyway, since Hiroshima officially posted his rights to major-league clubs on Nov. 22 — when he snuck in a question of his own.

He wanted to know which city had the best eats.

What was he looking for? The izakayas with their luscious yakitori skewers turning over hissing coals? The sushi counters with their jeweled cuts of sashimi flown in from Tokyo’s world-famous Toyosu Fish Market? The upscale kaiseki restaurant with its elegant progression of a dozen plates, each one a harmonious and integrated work of art? Or was he curious about something other than Japanese cuisine?

Suzuki tried to explain. He made a pouring motion with one hand. “Chīzu” was among the words he uttered.

“Oh,” said one of his agents, Dai Sugiura, from his quadrant of the Zoom screen.

“He means nachos.”

There are so many things that Suzuki is eager to experience as a Major League Baseball player: The high-level competition, the different training methods, the ballparks and cities, befriending new teammates, learning from new coaches. And yes, the nachos. His eyes widened when informed that many stadiums serve enormous portions in plastic souvenir baseball helmets.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some good stuff there. Jung and Smith comments remind me of Beltre.
They are two guys that I think will really be beneficial on the field and in the clubhouse.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nachos made their American debut at the old Arlington Stadium so Mr. Suzuki should be interested. Lol

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suzuki also addressed the lockout in the interview. This is what he had to say.

The labor impasse almost assuredly will continue past Feb. 1, when Hiroshima opens its spring camp in Okinawa. But the Carp are expected to be without their former franchise star, who left little doubt that he’s committed to coming to America despite the current stalemate between MLB and the union.

“I’m just going to wait until both sides agree,” said Suzuki, who arrived in Okinawa last week to conduct workouts on his own. “There’s no date I set on myself. In Japan, you don’t experience a lockout so it’s a first for me. At first, I was a little worried about it. But when you think about it, it’s going to end sometime soon. Just having that positive mindset that it will end sometime has allowed me to keep my head up.”

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suzuki had this response about choosing a team to play for.

“I can’t stop thinking about which team to pick,” he said. “I’m going to be honest with you: I’m still very confused. I can’t sleep every night because a lot of the teams hit my heart. I still have to give it a lot of thought.”

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more excerpt:

The calls from clubs began minutes after Hiroshima posted Suzuki’s rights, opening a 30-day window in which major-league teams could sign him. Requests for meetings over Zoom were so plentiful, and the lockout loomed so near, that agent Joel Wolfe had to schedule two teams per day. He set a time limit out of fairness.

“Some had elaborately prepared presentations and others were a small group having a very personable chat,” Wolfe said. “All of them had at least the GM, manager, and hitting coach. Many included Japanese staff members. In each case, the GM and manager led the conversation. Seiya always had thoughtful answers and interesting questions.”

So did his wife, Airi Hatakeyama, a former Olympic rhythmic gymnast turned television personality and sports commentator. She joined every call and came prepared with her own set of questions.

“The environment and atmosphere will be very important to her,” Suzuki said. “The cities, the lifestyle, the routines.”

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and that pitching prospect was dumped into the Starting rotation because we had no one else and he understandably struggled against MLB hitters. i would put him at AA or AAA in 2022 and let him work out the issues.
I think he's a bullpen guy in the future, but he'll rightfully get his shots this year to round out the back end of the rotation