• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the JD plan all along. every other team offers 6, 7 or 8 years to a top FA and the Rangers offer 3, 4 or 5 years with close to a similar AAV and when the FA chooses another team he comes out with "well we made what we felt was a viable offer and they chose to sign else where." bigtime FA's are looking long term deals so they can close out their careers with one team and not wanting to move around every few years so the Rangers will miss out on 95% of them.
don't expect to see them come close on Cole, Rendon, Strassburg, Wheeler or Ryu and see us signing much lower level FA's on short term deals like Donaldson, Moustakas, Miley, Mller, Wacha etc
I will give him the benefit of the doubt on being willing to go longer than 5 years for Rendon for now. I have a lot to complain about JD for now without borrowing anything. Lol

The cost of Donaldson puts him above those guys you lumped him with.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with Jung, Wendzel and Apostel, I would offer one of Wendzel or Apostel. maybe Florentino, Henriquez, Acosta and a pitcher or 2(Jurado, Mendez etc) and see what drops from the trees
I don't believe they can trade Jung or Wendzel until a year after they were drafted. If you are offering Apostle and Henriquez you had better know exactly what is in those trees, and it had better be substantial and more than a 2 or 3 year stopgap. Those two can help you throughout a big chunk of the next decade, so a 2 or 3 year fix won't cut it.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will give him the benefit of the doubt on being willing to go longer than 5 years for Rendon for now. I have a lot to complain about JD for now without borrowing anything. Lol

The cost of Donaldson puts him above those guys you lumped him with.
Donaldson and Moustakas are 3 or 4 steps below Rendon was my point. and 23-25M AAV is well below what Rendon will get from the teams really interested in him

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe they can trade Jung or Wendzel until a year after they were drafted. If you are offering Apostle and Henriquez you had better know exactly what is in those trees, and it had better be substantial and more than a 2 or 3 year stopgap. Those two can help you throughout a big chunk of the next decade, so a 2 or 3 year fix won't cut it.
if the trade gets you a Starling Marte to patrol CF for 2 years with Taveras, Thompson, JPM etc then I would pull the trigger. Jung, Wendzel and Apostel are going to be battling each other for 3B so you have an excess there and the same is true about Henriquez.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess just waiting for the winter meetings now.

am I the only one cautiously optimistic? They gotta do something besides sign some #4 pitcher from the twinkies. The natives in Arlington are expecting something after forking over all that money for the new stadium and Texas live.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the trade gets you a Starling Marte to patrol CF for 2 years with Taveras, Thompson, JPM etc then I would pull the trigger. Jung, Wendzel and Apostel are going to be battling each other for 3B so you have an excess there and the same is true about Henriquez.
Then you want to have a really good CF for a couple of years a lot more than you want a WS. I cannot agree with that at all.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess just waiting for the winter meetings now.

am I the only one cautiously optimistic? They gotta do something besides sign some #4 pitcher from the twinkies. The natives in Arlington are expecting something after forking over all that money for the new stadium and Texas live.
I will be optimistic about free agency until Rendon gets snatched up.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then you want to have a really good CF for a couple of years a lot more than you want a WS. I cannot agree with that at all.
no I want a multiple WS and I think that a Starling Marte gets you closer to that goal especially with Taveras, Thompson, JPM all expected to be ready in 2021/22. that makes for a smooth transition. not thinking now and beyond will make the move up slower and more haphazard. DDJ and Gallo are not the CF answer. Gallo needs to be in RF and DDJ needs to be somewhere else that is not the Rangers

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no I want a multiple WS and I think that a Starling Marte gets you closer to that goal especially with Taveras, Thompson, JPM all expected to be ready in 2021/22. that makes for a smooth transition. not thinking now and beyond will make the move up slower and more haphazard. DDJ and Gallo are not the CF answer. Gallo needs to be in RF and DDJ needs to be somewhere else that is not the Rangers
You are trading away guys who can help you win a WS or 2 and getting a CF who can help you chase the second WC or fool's gold. We are not sniffing a WS in those two years Marte would be here. If you want to trade away prospects then do that to acquire a final piece or two when the time comes. That time is not here.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are trading away guys who can help you win a WS or 2 and getting a CF who can help you chase the second WC or fool's gold. We are not sniffing a WS in those two years Marte would be here. If you want to trade away prospects then do that to acquire a final piece or two when the time comes. That time is not here.
so wait and do little until

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what I want is a good team that can be built on with our best prospects and FA's so that we are competitive now and beyond with multiple WS appearances and wins. the "wait until" philosophy makes that time period later and later. if we aren't interested right now in improving our team with needs like CF, 3B etc now we might as well re-sign Forsythe and Federowitz and Pence and carry on with what we had last year

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See post #1448.

Where does Marte get you in 2020 and 2021 and where will we be in those years without him?
it gets us a good CF'er and moves Gallo to RF. a position that Gallo is more built for. if we don't care about protecting him physically then let's retain DDJ and play him and Gallo in CF and not care.

and depending on if we do anything else we might improve from a below .500 team in 2019 by 6 to 8 games in 2020 which would get us to .500 and depending on what we do in 2020-21 off-season maybe we improve another 6 to 8 games. it improves our defense

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it gets us a good CF'er and moves Gallo to RF. a position that Gallo is more built for. if we don't care about protecting him physically then let's retain DDJ and play him and Gallo in CF and not care.

and depending on if we do anything else we might improve from a below .500 team in 2019 by 6 to 8 games in 2020 which would get us to .500 and depending on what we do in 2020-21 off-season maybe we improve another 6 to 8 games. it improves our defense
We agree pretty much then about what it gives us, although I think you are a tad optimistic. It certainly doesn't get us to the WS and more than likely it doesn't even get us a WC.

I still don't agree that it is worth losing valuable talent/trade chops for winning a few games more over the next two years. One more win per month does nothing for me at this juncture. I want 11 more wins in a future October more than that. To me, your plan jeopardizes my goal for a future October.

DeShields would not be my CF any longer. That is not the only alternative to Marte.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh goody!!!

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We agree pretty much then about what it gives us, although I think you are a tad optimistic. It certainly doesn't get us to the WS and more than likely it doesn't even get us a WC.

I still don't agree that it is worth losing valuable talent/trade chops for winning a few games more over the next two years. One more win per month does nothing for me at this juncture. I want 11 more wins in a future October more than that. To me, your plan jeopardizes my goal for a future October.

DeShields would not be my CF any longer. That is not the only alternative to Marte.
i'm talking about trading talent/prospects that are extras in our system. Apostel, Jung and Wendzel are all primary 3Bmen so 1 or more are prime trade pieces. Henriquez is one of multiple pitchers and has already been discussed by many as a prime trade piece now. Acosta has Elvis, Tejada, Basabe, Seise, etc ahead of him at SS. we have extra trade pieces now that could address needs now and in the future and still have damn good players lurking and ready to move into starting spots on our MLB roster.

and unless we address CF now DDJ will get major time in CF this coming season

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't on this board at the time, but I didn't care for the whole way that offseason went. That is when we should have begun to rebuild if we weren't going to go all in on free agency.

I was banished from this board at the time.

7 years is a bad idea for a lot of guys, but exceptions come along sometimes. I firmly believe Rendon is an exception. In fact, if they had to go 8 years with him to get him here I wouldn't have a problem with it.
Hey, I am not going to complain if we sign Rendon for 7 years. But nothing says 5 years down the road we couldn't be on this board wishing we could get rid of his contract. Now I highly doubt that but that is the risk you take. And Rendon is in select company. Seems someone said (I didn't feel like going back to look) that we would not sign anyone if we do not go past 5 years. For 95% of the players out there I say good. We have done enough stupid things just not as many as the Angels have (Wells, Matthews, Jr., Hamilton, Pujols, Trout and so on).

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm talking about trading talent/prospects that are extras in our system. Apostel, Jung and Wendzel are all primary 3Bmen so 1 or more are prime trade pieces. Henriquez is one of multiple pitchers and has already been discussed by many as a prime trade piece now. Acosta has Elvis, Tejada, Basabe, Seise, etc ahead of him at SS. we have extra trade pieces now that could address needs now and in the future and still have damn good players lurking and ready to move into starting spots on our MLB roster.

and unless we address CF now DDJ will get major time in CF this coming season
Apostle can play 1B. Jung and Wendzel cannot be traded now. Acosta is 17 so by the time he is MLB ready Elvis will have moved on to another position or he will be retired.

You say Henriquez is one of multiple pitchers. So what? Those multiple pitchers are not all the same. If they are all the same then all of our possibilities in CF can be viewed as the same. That oversimplification can work a lot of different ways.

Besides you, who has discussed trading Henriquez?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, I am not going to complain if we sign Rendon for 7 years. But nothing says 5 years down the road we couldn't be on this board wishing we could get rid of his contract. Now I highly doubt that but that is the risk you take. And Rendon is in select company. Seems someone said (I didn't feel like going back to look) that we would not sign anyone if we do not go past 5 years. For 95% of the players out there I say good. We have done enough stupid things just not as many as the Angels have (Wells, Matthews, Jr., Hamilton, Pujols, Trout and so on).
I was the one who said Sullivan said that about 5 years. That as a cookie cutter approach is a terrible idea. Every guy and every situation is unique. There have been lots of mistakes in signing guys for too long. There have also been some mistakes in not offering enough years to get a deal done when it would have been worth it. Had Beltre needed one or two more years on his deal it would have been a mistake not to give him what it took.

As far as guys on these boards complaining, I think folks need to not complain if they were for the move to begin with. I was on board with the extension for Elvis, so I never badmouthed JD when Elvis was going bad. Of course, I do believe we should separate judging a signing from not giving up on the guy who was signed. In other words even those who agreed with Odor's extension(I was not in that group), still have the right to complain about them still playing him.