• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Scott Boras All-Free Agent Team has quite a roster this winter: Cole … Rendon … Strasburg … Dallas Keuchel … Nicholas Castellanos … Hyun-Jin Ryu … Mike Moustakas.

Those guys are going to get signed. Those guys are going to get paid. But you know what they’re not real likely to do? Get signed — or paid — in, say, the next 45 minutes.

We asked the research department at MLB Network to look back at when Boras’ big free agents have signed over the years. Would you believe they went back two decades and couldn’t find a single monster deal for any of those free agents before Dec. 1? And you’d have to go back all the way to 2013 (to Jacoby Ellsbury and Shin-Soo Choo) to find two major Boras free agents who signed deals longer than five years in December.

“So if you’re going after a Scott Boras guy,” said another GM, “are you going to get a Scott Boras guy signed now? In November? No chance.”

Per Jason S-- don't expect Rendon soon.

Side-note- and Monday morning QB work
Choo was signed early with Elsbury. Perhaps a little patience was needed and this year would have been his FA year.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Filling out the 2020 Rangers roster will be fascinating.

I have been an advocate of replacing DDJ who is relatively cheap but with obvious deficiencies with Santana.
Just wonder if 2019 was an outlier year and if overexposure will decrease his value. (I think so)

To me Santana's best use is as a utility player with an abundance of reps and a clear replacement to injured players which likely happens. This give us an edge over other teams in this area

Still does not make CF anything other than a position of weakness. Probably should have gotten Cutch

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Filling out the 2020 Rangers roster will be fascinating.

I have been an advocate of replacing DDJ who is relatively cheap but with obvious deficiencies with Santana.
Just wonder if 2019 was an outlier year and if overexposure will decrease his value. (I think so)

To me Santana's best use is as a utility player with an abundance of reps and a clear replacement to injured players which likely happens. This give us an edge over other teams in this area

Still does not make CF anything other than a position of weakness. Probably should have gotten Cutch
Lol at the Santana disrespect. I guess he was overexposed last year too. How many players got more AB last year after he came up?

He has played almost everydsy twice in his career and had good seasons both times. I hope all of our guys get overexposed like that. If they do, it will look a whole lot like the 2011 offense.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol at the Santana disrespect. I guess he was overexposed last year too. How many players got more AB last year after he came up?

He has played almost everydsy twice in his career and had good seasons both times. I hope all of our guys get overexposed like that. If they do, it will look a whole lot like the 2011 offense.

Well I did say I wanted him to get regular ABs. Right? If that is not enough then I guess that is disrespect. haha

Just wondering if there are better options in CF to put two good bats in lineup instead of one. It is a hedge obviously if lat year was an outlier for Santana plus gives us a shot at better defense is CF and if a guy like Elvis went down I would rather have him than IKF

He was one of our best bats but surely you don't take it that I would like DDJ to have more PT than Santana?

Regardless still fascinating to me.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I did say I wanted him to get regular ABs. Right? If that is not enough then I guess that is disrespect. haha

Just wondering if there are better options in CF to put two good bats in lineup instead of one. It is a hedge obviously if lat year was an outlier for Santana plus gives us a shot at better defense is CF and if a guy like Elvis went down I would rather have him than IKF

He was one of our best bats but surely you don't take it that I would like DDJ to have more PT than Santana?

Regardless still fascinating to me.
I just know he is one of our best bats and we would have to add a whole lot of offense to relegate him to utility duty. If we ever do get that kind of offense then he would be more valuable to trade than to ride the pine, and on good offensive teams utility guys ride the pine most of the time.

I realize you think he is better than DeShields, but to think he might need to be replaced, as a starter, when we have so many guys who struggle makes it seem a bit disrespectful.

When utility guys get regular at bats it means you have a bad offense. If you do have a bad offense then start your good hitting utility player everyday. If course, that means he is no longer a bench/utility player.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just know he is one of our best bats and we would have to add a whole lot of offense to relegate him to utility duty. If we ever do get that kind of offense then he would be more valuable to trade than to ride the pine, and on good offensive teams utility guys ride the pine most of the time.

I realize you think he is better than DeShields, but to think he might need to be replaced, as a starter, when we have so many guys who struggle makes it seem a bit disrespectful.

When utility guys get regular at bats it means you have a bad offense. If you do have a bad offense then start your good hitting utility player everyday. If course, that means he is no longer a bench/utility player.
Yes we would have to add a lot. Specifically a Rendon, a quality CF, Solak and Calhoun would have to be in the lineup for this to even have a shot.

Even still not sure I would consider it relegation but just a thought under a beat case scenario that is unlikely but only a wish.

BTW. He has not been declared a starter for 2020 yet

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes we would have to add a lot. Specifically a Rendon, a quality CF, Solak and Calhoun would have to be in the lineup for this to even have a shot.

Even still not sure I would consider it relegation but just a thought under a beat case scenario that is unlikely but only a wish.

BTW. He has not been declared a starter for 2020 yet
Has anyone?

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone?
No hahaha.....but he was not really considered a starter last year but did get playing time commiserate of a starter .........which is my point anyways.....sir

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No hahaha.....but he was not really considered a starter last year but did get playing time commiserate of a starter .........which is my point anyways.....sir
He started last year. They used him in several positions because they were awful at several positions. Playing everyday means you are a starter. Every position that he can play is expected to be covered with the exception of CF. Not giving him the bulk of the playing time there would be almost as dumb as Odor being a starter over Solak. That doesn't necessarily mean he will play there though. Who knows what is going on in the minds of management.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goes without saying for some such as Andrus and Gallo of course. But I get what you meant.
Woodward has hinted that even Elvis is not guaranteed anything. That could be just a bunch of talk though.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He started last year. They used him in several positions because they were awful at several positions. Playing everyday means you are a starter. Every position that he can play is expected to be covered with the exception of CF. Not giving him the bulk of the playing time there would be almost as dumb as Odor being a starter over Solak. That doesn't necessarily mean he will play there though. Who knows what is going on in the minds of management.
So he started yes but no real difference from what I say could be best case scenario

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he started yes but no real difference from what I say could be best case scenario
Your best case scenario requires a repeat of Odor being hurt with no Solak to play in his place, and no good option for 3B. It also requires no good option for 1B and for the OF to be an unsettled situation. Those are the things that require someone like Santana to play all of those positions. That seems to take the "best" out of "best case scenario" to me.

Also, if he is a starter in mostly one position or if he is a starter spread over 5 positions, doesn't he get just as "overexposed?"