• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2018-2019 Offseason Thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And then there’s Gallo. “What I’d like to help Joey unlock is how consistently he can repeat what he does well,” Ortiz says. “He’s here for a reason. He does a lot of things well. Now, how can we continue to repeat that and boringly repeat the process, and not chase the result? Just like if you think about a tree. For you to grow a fruit tree, you’ve got to take care of the seed, you’ve got to take care of the soil, you’ve got to water it down. Then you get the fruit that you want… The goal is to get into a hitting coma, just trust that what we did before is going to follow the correct sequence.”

Hitting coach has had impact on a significant amount of players for Tribe, Padres and LAD
Excerpt from Newberg article on hitting coach Ortiz

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallo must first choose to do better. So far he has chosen not to and the results are horrid. Hopefully Ortiz can get him to listen and make him a better hitter. We don't need players who refuse to improve.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Young coach for the Rams got them places. Hoping for the same -at least eventually for our new manager.

In the meanwhile the needle moves slow in RangerLand
I had high hopes for the last manager, but alas he was short-lived.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And then there’s Gallo. “What I’d like to help Joey unlock is how consistently he can repeat what he does well,” Ortiz says. “He’s here for a reason. He does a lot of things well. Now, how can we continue to repeat that and boringly repeat the process, and not chase the result? Just like if you think about a tree. For you to grow a fruit tree, you’ve got to take care of the seed, you’ve got to take care of the soil, you’ve got to water it down. Then you get the fruit that you want… The goal is to get into a hitting coma, just trust that what we did before is going to follow the correct sequence.”

Hitting coach has had impact on a significant amount of players for Tribe, Padres and LAD
Excerpt from Newberg article on hitting coach Ortiz
If you have an apple tree though, you had better not hope to see oranges or pears.

Keeping with the tree metaphor, you have to have the right environment, the right amount of sunshine and the right amount of fertilizer. Most importantly, you have to fight off pesky bugs and diseases.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallo must first choose to do better. So far he has chosen not to and the results are horrid. Hopefully Ortiz can get him to listen and make him a better hitter. We don't need players who refuse to improve.
Does he not want to get better, or is he too stubborn about the way that he thinks will make him better when there are much better ways? I suspect pride and stubbornness may be bigger enemies of his improving than a lack of desire to improve. Some folks allow wisdom that comes with age to defeat the pride and stubbornness that gets in their way. Let's hope that happens with Joey. Maybe Nomar develops a little more wisdom and improves some as well. If that happens to at least one of them then maybe they can impart that to the younger hitters coming up over the next 1-3 years.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does he not want to get better, or is he too stubborn about the way that he thinks will make him better when there are much better ways? I suspect pride and stubbornness may be bigger enemies of his improving than a lack of desire to improve. Some folks allow wisdom that comes with age to defeat the pride and stubbornness that gets in their way. Let's hope that happens with Joey. Maybe Nomar develops a little more wisdom and improves some as well. If that happens to at least one of them then maybe they can impart that to the younger hitters coming up over the next 1-3 years.
Who knows what holds him back but it his choice and he fails. If he would only take good constructive coaching, the sky could be the limit.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows what holds him back but it his choice and he fails. If he would only take good constructive coaching, the sky could be the limit.
all he wants to do is hit long homers. he doesn't want to do anything else. if he would just listen to his coaches and make the effort to hit the ball where they ain't it would force teams to cover the field against him but he won't listen so opposing teams will continue overload the rightside against him. unless the Rangers slap him silly and wake him up he will continue to hit at or below the Mendoza line, strike out 200+ times a year and hit more homers than singles, doubles and triples together

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how many of our current starters Derek outpitches in 2019?

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how many of our current starters Derek outpitches in 2019?

Perhaps every one of our Ranger pitchers on a one year contract under 7 million

FWIW. It would have been nice to have him back. Bad timing

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When would the timing be better with nothing to lose in 2019?

Answering my question in a few months would be a subjective process with him pitching in the NL, but there won't be much else to do this season besides following things like that. Just something to file away and think about every once in awhile.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are saying he probably won't outpitch any of our current five?
No. Just don't think he will out pitch all of them especially Minor. SF didn't think to much of him according to his contract of one yr.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So the best comparison will be Holland versus Shelby Miller. I think I will take Holland in that competition.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Just don't think he will out pitch all of them especially Minor. SF didn't think to much of him according to his contract of one yr.
My original question was how many of our current 5 he will outpitch?

As far as Minor goes, there is a good chance he regresses this year. That is why waiting until the mid-season deadline to try and deal him is probably a bad idea.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Probably could not flip him in a one year deal. Better chance with Miller IMO