• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2018-2019 Offseason Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not suggesting it as long term solution but for the 1st 50 to 60 games allowing or limiting the TJ starters innings to allow their arm strength under game conditions makes sense. Chavez and Springs could go 2 or 3 innings a couple of times a week. Yes it would put more load on the other 5 relievers but with the starters we have now that will be happening anyway
Maybe at some point a couple of the starters themselves go to the pen, or get "injured" and go to the DL to hide out for the rest of the season, when we decide to bring some young pitchers up later in the year.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe at some point a couple of the starters themselves go to the pen, or get "injured" and go to the DL to hide out for the rest of the season, when we decide to bring some young pitchers up later in the year.
in September I could see that happening

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if team is trying to swing a deal for more than one year to avoid arbitration with Mazara

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or, they could just limit their innings as conventional starters and use Springs and Chavez a lot during the 5th and 6th innings. Either way would save their arms. Going the conventional route would allow guys like Chavez and Springs to be used more on a particular night when one of the starters struggles. When used as an opener you don't know how the starter is going to perform so you don't know how many innings Chavez and Springs should pitch.

I don't know if going one way or the other is going to make much of a difference in wins and losses and for the next couple of years win totals don't mean much anyway.

I think you use your opener as long as he is effective or on a pitch count

If Chavez labors through 2 innings but gives up no runs, fine but if he comes in dealing and can pitch 4, great

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Soriano didn't want to say the OF JD didn't push the issue and then traded him. Soriano then went somewhere else to play the OF. When Kinsler didn't want to play the OF JD didn't push the issue and eventually traded him. Now Gallo spoke once about 3B not being his idea of where he wanted to play and JD decides not to even consider Gallo at 3B. Players very often get to dictate to this organization where they should be played.

MY was an exception and he whined about it so maybe JD is afraid of every player responding the same way. Maybe Young should be in charge of breaking the news to players that they are going to have to play some position that they would rather not play. lol

Well to be fair Gallo isn't very good at 3B anyway, so why force him to play a position he doesn't like and not going to put the work into getting better at? He likes hitting and he doesn't even put the work into that

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well to be fair Gallo isn't very good at 3B anyway, so why force him to play a position he doesn't like and not going to put the work into getting better at? He likes hitting and he doesn't even put the work into that
Is he not putting any work into it or is he just stubborn about certain things? I do know he used to be known to work extensively on his hitting in the offseason when he was in the minors.

He seems to have worked on playing in the OF.

I don't know if it is accurate to question his work ethic. Maybe question his wisdom and stubbornness instead.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is he not putting any work into it or is he just stubborn about certain things? I do know he used to be known to work extensively on his hitting in the offseason when he was in the minors.

He seems to have worked on playing in the OF.

I don't know if it is accurate to question his work ethic. Maybe question his wisdom and stubbornness instead.

I'm stating that if a person's heart isn't into something, they aren't going to give 100%

I didn't say he was put in zero effort, and my statement about his hitting is related to the fact that he obviously doesn't work on going the other way or change his approach with 2 strikes, otherwise we'd see him do it or be comfortable doing it

Maybe he worked on playing the OF because he likes the OF, or 1B

So yes, I'd say he's stubborn, i never said anything about his work ethic, you used those words, not me

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm stating that if a person's heart isn't into something, they aren't going to give 100%

I didn't say he was put in zero effort, and my statement about his hitting is related to the fact that he obviously doesn't work on going the other way or change his approach with 2 strikes, otherwise we'd see him do it or be comfortable doing it

Maybe he worked on playing the OF because he likes the OF, or 1B

So yes, I'd say he's stubborn, i never said anything about his work ethic, you used those words, not me

Got to agree JT. He probably will not show change without a little pressure as in a trip to AAA. This guy needs to get with it and become a better hitter than Mendoza. He has plenty of time to succeed.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to agree JT. He probably will not show change without a little pressure as in a trip to AAA. This guy needs to get with it and become a better hitter than Mendoza. He has plenty of time to succeed.
I agree. he needs a kick in the butt like getting demoted to get him to start working to improve. all he thinks about homers

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you think we're done?
Scottie I have no idea. It has been a long long time since being this lost on the coming season. 1. We have no assurance that pitching prospects will be ready 2020 if at all. 2.Replacing Beltre won't happen. 3.The ugly Choo factor. 4.Gallo's future.(Mendoza or MVP) 5.TJ SP's.
Not sure about much but will support them no matter what.
:noidea::scratch::2cents::crazy:

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody needs to get through to him like Beasley did with Elvis.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't wait for baseball season to get here, now that the Cowboys season is over.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't wait for baseball season to get here, now that the Cowboys season is over.

Young coach for the Rams got them places. Hoping for the same -at least eventually for our new manager.

In the meanwhile the needle moves slow in RangerLand