• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2018-2019 Offseason Thread

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder what this means for YoMendez that's Lynn, Minor, Smyly, Volquez

You aren’t getting through a season with those 5. And you are gonna wanna baby the tj guys back and get them extra rest when you can

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure seems to be a Rangers pitcher, you have to had Tommy John surgery.
If you have had TJ and have pitched in the NL you would be a shoe in.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure Minor will be able to replicate the success he had last year and wouldn't be opposed to getting something for him now, vs. him doing poorly at the beginning of the season and thus lowering his trade value at the break. I am aware he could do well and thus he might fetch more, however I am not sure that will happen. So, I say take what you can get now, if it is of value.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure Minor will be able to replicate the success he had last year and wouldn't be opposed to getting something for him now, vs. him doing poorly at the beginning of the season and thus lowering his trade value at the break. I am aware he could do well and thus he might fetch more, however I am not sure that will happen. So, I say take what you can get now, if it is of value.
I like that idea. Get what you can for him now.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year's Matt Moore could very well be Shelby Miller. Only, Miller comes with more health concerns.

Miller is cheaper and with less extended low performance time.

But still a one year contract. This was a predictable signing
One of these guys will surprise and we can flip at the break.
Yes they are shopping Minor but things are going slow. No need to be desperate just yet

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You aren’t getting through a season with those 5. And you are gonna wanna baby the tj guys back and get them extra rest when you can

I am thinking the Rangers may be utilizing an opener this year and that may open the door for Chavez to pitch 3-4.innings on occasion. Maybe we short the bench to facilitate this or bring guys up and down more

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes they are shopping Minor but things are going slow. No need to be desperate just yet
I have mentioned this before, but here goes one more time. When I compare someone to Moore the difference in the contract has absolutely nothing to do with it. It is simply a matter of results on the mound. Neither one of their contracts kept us from gettinn.g any other needed piece so it is irrelevant in the discussion.

I doubt anyone other than Minor is flipworthy.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Both had 2 out if 3 bad years just prior to us signing them. The difference being the one year Miller wasn't bad he was hurt almost all of it.

I always expected we would have another signing this offseason similar to the Matt Moore signing and this has all the earmarks. It does help the 2020 draft though and that is not insignificant at all.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am thinking the Rangers may be utilizing an opener this year and that may open the door for Chavez to pitch 3-4.innings on occasion. Maybe we short the bench to facilitate this or bring guys up and down more
I thought the Opener was mainly to protect young starters from the heart of the lineup. We don't have any if them to protect.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder what this means for YoMendez that's Lynn, Minor, Smyly, Volquez
I guess they will use that last option on him that we didn't know he had. When someone breaks down a few weeks into the season they will bring him up.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the Opener was mainly to protect young starters from the heart of the lineup. We don't have any if them to protect.

Don't think its just limited to that now, that might have been the original reasoning, and now some other teams are trying it in response to other types of roster/player limitations

I think its just a more flexible take on the reasoning of a 6 man rotation

Managers are just trying something different, if its just a fad and doesn't work then they'll move on

In the same way they try to limit exposure to a young starter, you can limit exposure to a pitcher with an injury history and limit stressful innings, and considering almost all of the potential starters (Mendez, Jurado, Minor, Miller, Lynn, Volquez, Smyly) are young or have an extensive injury history, then it still makes sense

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good idea but do not think @Nightcrawler will bring much. lol trying to get a laugh or two. This board needs something.

I tried to trade Nightcrawler to the Astros 2 years ago, for an old catchers mask and they wanted no part of it.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think its just limited to that now, that might have been the original reasoning, and now some other teams are trying it in response to other types of roster/player limitations

I think its just a more flexible take on the reasoning of a 6 man rotation

Managers are just trying something different, if its just a fad and doesn't work then they'll move on

In the same way they try to limit exposure to a young starter, you can limit exposure to a pitcher with an injury history and limit stressful innings, and considering almost all of the potential starters (Mendez, Jurado, Minor, Miller, Lynn, Volquez, Smyly) are young or have an extensive injury history, then it still makes sense
I just hope it has come and gone by the time we are ready to contend again.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope it has come and gone by the time we are ready to contend again.

JD will always try and land pitching from the depths of hell after surgeries, trying to catch lightning in a bottle!

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
T R Sullivan answered some questions from fans.

If the team is trying to become more competitive in the years following 2019, why is more of an effort not being made to move Shin-Soo Choo and use some of those savings on other areas? Is his veteran presence more valued after the Adrian Beltre retirement? I don't imagine he will be a part of the next great Rangers team.
-- Alex W., Austin, Texas

Everybody on the Rangers is theoretically available during the rebuild, and that includes Choo. That said, Choo is 36, signed for two more years at $42 million, and he probably has higher value as a designated hitter than an outfielder. The Rangers are trying to acquire good, young pitching, and it's hard to see a club giving that up right now for Choo, especially a National League team. It may end up being a different scenario closer to the July 31 non-waiver Trade Deadline than in the offseason. Choo is still a productive player, but he does have some limitations.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple more questions for T R.

Ronald Guzman was a pleasant surprise after coming up earlier than expected last year. However, with the logjam of left-handed corner players, how strong of a hold does he have on the first-base job for next season?
-- Mike W., St. Louis

Joey Gallo can play first base, and he can play left field. That gives the Rangers some options. If Willie Calhoun comes into Spring Training and proves he belongs in the big leagues, the Rangers could use him in left and move Gallo to first base. So Guzman still needs to prove himself and defend his job as the Rangers' incumbent first baseman. He does not have a secure spot on the team.

Do you expect the Rangers to go "all-in" on players next offseason for the first year of the new ballpark? Or will they give it a few years?
-- Brady S., Seminole, Texas

That will depend how far the Rangers' rebuild progresses this season. If the young offense starts proving that it is a contending lineup, the Rangers might start flirting with the top-of-the-market free agents. The list of potential free-agent starters after this season includes Chris Sale, Gerrit Cole, Madison Bumgarner, Justin Verlander, Zack Wheelerand Stephen Strasburg.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3