• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas High School Class 5A State Title game attendance 54,437

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you're saying, but I just don't understand why anyone would give a shit about high school level football if you aren't a student there, or don't have a close relative playing. Different strokes for different folks. Enjoy sports however you like.

It's been like this for a long time in Texas (and I'm sure other places too). It's about town pride and support for the youth of your town. I don't have to know the kids on the team to want them to do well. You would also be surprised at how often you might know their fathers, or maybe they are an older or younger sibling to one of your kids friends. Maybe you coach youth sports and these are your former players. Maybe you are a business owner and their father/mother frequent your store. Maybe you have gone to church with those kids their whole life. There are a million ways you can find a connection to really want your high school to do well. In most of Texas, community is a very big thing. Especially rural Texas and the suburbs. If you live in one of the big cities it's probably closer to what you would see across of the rest of the nation. Just too many damn people for you to know who the hell is on the football team. As it is, while I might live somewhere else now, if I visit my hometown on a friday night during football season, you can bet I will make the game. You can also bet, despite me being gone for 15 years now, I will have some sort of family/friend connection to half those kids on the team. And will be damn proud of them win or lose. Even if you suck, playing football as a young man is pretty much what you do in Texas. At least until you can't make a roster anymore. It also opens so many doors for you in the community. It gets your name out there to the community. Might be stupid, but it is what it is. It shows work ethic, team work, and displays your desire to be the best by committing to something and giving it your all.

That's my really long winded serious post of the month.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas hasn't done shit in several years, clown. All the talent in that state with first pick pretty much and still nothing. Texas isn't shit and that's why you're so defensive. Mack Brown picked your program up out of the dirt and now you all want him fired. Well, I hope he does get fired so you assholes go the way of Nebraska. This is the part where you talk about your HISTORY again, right? You suck now, right now you suck. Deal with it.

This guy is a dumb ass who obviously doesn't watch the news. :L

brin3535

moose twit!
Hoopla Cash
$ 955.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy is a dumb ass who obviously doesn't watch the news. :L

The good news is that you're on your way to Nebraska suck! Oh wait, you're already there! The only people that don't know are you lame Texas fans! Now, back to FOX NEWS with you.....

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you're saying, but I just don't understand why anyone would give a shit about high school level football if you aren't a student there, or don't have a close relative playing. Different strokes for different folks. Enjoy sports however you like.

What are they supposed to watch. It's not like they have a pro football team down in Texas. How the Cowboys lost to the Lions is beyond me.:noidea:

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allen vs. Pearland at JerryWorld tonight set the new record of attendance for the title game. Commentators were talking about how many bowl games this year won't have close to that in attendance, LOL......

Lots of people in TX with nothing to do apparently.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are they supposed to watch. It's not like they have a pro football team down in Texas. How the Cowboys lost to the Lions is beyond me.:noidea:

Did you watch the game? The refs made some unusual PI calls that seemed to always benefit the Lions.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you watch the game? The refs made some unusual PI calls that seemed to always benefit the Lions.

Are we talking about Michigan State vs Notre Dame?

They have done studies where nearly every single fan sees the officials calls were more times than not going against their team. I didn't watch the game until the very end because it is too hard to watch this "professional football team" fall apart every year.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ku-xlarge.gif

That cart came at him like it was seeking revenge.

:lol::lol:

God I forgot about that. The way the guy exits the cart is my favorite.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not a Cowboy fan but they did win yesterday. DeMarco Murray is still a touchdown machine.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of people in TX with nothing to do apparently.
-
Actually it is much cooler than I thought when I moved down here. Friday night game is basically kids night out. First 2 rows are filled with kids. Parents are up higher in the stands. Elementary school announces home games and boys from 1st grade up ask their parents to go, so they can hang out with their friends. It really is not about the game as it is a night out with 10-20K babysitters. Eventually the young ones start watching bits and pieces of the game and develop a liking to the sport. Plus it becomes a family night. It makes a lot more sense when you view like that, than as 20-30k people showing up simply for a HS game. It really is a pretty cool community event.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a Cowboy fan but they did win yesterday. DeMarco Murray is still a touchdown machine.

Dude could be one of the top 3 best RB's in the NFL if he could ever play a full season.....

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
Actually it is much cooler than I thought when I moved down here. Friday night game is basically kids night out. First 2 rows are filled with kids. Parents are up higher in the stands. Elementary school announces home games and boys from 1st grade up ask their parents to go, so they can hang out with their friends. It really is not about the game as it is a night out with 10-20K babysitters. Eventually the young ones start watching bits and pieces of the game and develop a liking to the sport. Plus it becomes a family night. It makes a lot more sense when you view like that, than as 20-30k people showing up simply for a HS game. It really is a pretty cool community event.

If i had a rooting interest I'd probably go to a game here or there. I'm not gonna go back to watch my old high school play, just not interested and I can think of better things to do than spend a friday night or all day saturday watching HS football...namely drink.

I know of people that are way into it tho, so good on them I guess. Just not my cup o' tea.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they have an enrollment of 6000! Check out their stadium:

Eagle_Stadium.jpg

This stadium is insane for a HS. Unbeleivable.
I find it interesting that there is so much structure and then about 12,00 seats. The amount of building v. stands seems out of proportion. But, still incredibly impressive.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it interesting that there is so much structure and then about 12,00 seats. The amount of building v. stands seems out of proportion. But, still incredibly impressive.
Probably include locker rooms, weight rooms, gym and other sports related activities this isn't just for football.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If i had a rooting interest I'd probably go to a game here or there. I'm not gonna go back to watch my old high school play, just not interested and I can think of better things to do than spend a friday night or all day saturday watching HS football...namely drink.

I know of people that are way into it tho, so good on them I guess. Just not my cup o' tea.

Sorry you hate your community. Interacting with other people is a good thing where I am from. Enjoy drinking by yourself though. To each their own...

Rather Be Fishin'

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I beleive there were a couple games in that stadium that day. A lot of the crowd was from the 4A championship played BEFORE the Allen/Katy game.