• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas beats four consecutive Top 25 teams for first time in history

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Earlier this year, Kansas also beat four straight ranked opponents. Before KU and now Texas, the last team to accomplish that was North Carolina in 1997.....17 years ago

That statement kinda blows me away. Wow

So we beat 4 ranked teams in a row, stomped a mudhole in #6 KU, but we only move to #15, while KU just drops two spots? I think we have earned a top 10 ranking, IMO.....

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we beat 4 ranked teams in a row, stomped a mudhole in #6 KU, but we only move to #15, while KU just drops two spots? I think we have earned a top 10 ranking, IMO.....

you jumped 10 spots man, i think that's plenty, especially for a 5 loss team. I agree that KU should have dropped more, but there's no way you should have jumped that far. let's not overreact to beating ISU, KSU, and Baylor. The Kansas win was excellent, but those other three teams are in freefall at the moment, and were before you played them.

I am very impressed with Texas, but the Big12s mid level teams are not impressing anyone right now.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Self called freshman Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor “by far the best player in the game.”

Burnt Orange Nation in May 2013:
The more you see of Isaiah Taylor, the more excited you get about him... the more I see of of him, I've become sort of obsessed... I think Texas landed a player with the potential to be special.... The kid is like Texas' last point guard from Houston, TJ Ford (2003 NCAA Player of the year: Naismith, John Wooden, Sporting News) Yes, I just went there, and while no, Taylor isn't the high-elite prospect that Ford was, in terms of potential impact on the team, Taylor is a lot closer than you might think.

The Daily Texan in Nov 2013:
Texas Longhorns PG Isaiah Taylor looks to restore Texas back to national relevance... Taylor is in position to alter the culture in Austin immediately. The freshman will start at point guard, pushing the Longhorns’ leading returning scorer, Javan Felix, to shooting guard.... Taylor is often compared with former Texas point guard T.J. Ford, who helped hang the Longhorns’ most recent Final Four banner and enjoyed a lengthy NBA career. It’s a tough parallel for Taylor. Ford was one of the best players in college basketball in his time at Texas, but he’s humbled by the idea.
“T.J. Ford is one of the best ever to go to Texas,” Taylor said. “He made it to the NBA, made millions of dollars. He’s lived the dream.”

Roxter?

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you jumped 10 spots man, i think that's plenty, especially for a 5 loss team. I agree that KU should have dropped more, but there's no way you should have jumped that far. let's not overreact to beating ISU, KSU, and Baylor. The Kansas win was excellent, but those other three teams are in freefall at the moment, and were before you played them.

I am very impressed with Texas, but the Big12s mid level teams are not impressing anyone right now.

Let's see K State whomped TCU at TCU 71-54. Last season TCU beat Kansas at TCU.
I State beat OU 81-75 and Baylor beat OSU 76-70 at OSU.

I don't see how these three teams are in free fall, since all won their last game.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Texas only has 4 losses. 17-4; 6 straight wins; 4 straight ranked wins; 3 of those losses were to ranked teams and Texas had a 2nd half lead in each.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see K State whomped TCU at TCU 71-54. Last season TCU beat Kansas at TCU.
I State beat OU 81-75 and Baylor beat OSU 76-70 at OSU.

I don't see how these three teams are in free fall, since all won their last game.

You just referenced a win at TCU. You'll have to excuse me if I stopped reading your post right there

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas only has 4 losses. 17-4; 6 straight wins; 4 straight ranked wins; 3 of those losses were to ranked teams and Texas had a 2nd half lead in each.

Fair enough. Still doesn't mean they should be top 10. Have you ever seen a team jump 15 spots in the polls for beating a good team at home and a shitty team?

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. Still doesn't mean they should be top 10. Have you ever seen a team jump 15 spots in the polls for beating a good team at home and a shitty team?

I agree and disagree. I do agree that a 15 spot jump would be quite ridiculous. We moved up 10, which is a huge jump as is.

However, where I disagree is that I think our body of work is top 10 worthy. I mean our record is better than Kansas, and we beat the living crap out of them heads up. We have also played a very good ooc. Only problem is we had a lot of ground to make up.

I'm not going to sit here and be greedy. 15th is way better than we expected coming into the year. I'm happy to be where we are.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree and disagree. I do agree that a 15 spot jump would be quite ridiculous. We moved up 10, which is a huge jump as is.

However, where I disagree is that I think our body of work is top 10 worthy. I mean our record is better than Kansas, and we beat the living crap out of them heads up. We have also played a very good ooc. Only problem is we had a lot of ground to make up.

I'm not going to sit here and be greedy. 15th is way better than we expected coming into the year. I'm happy to be where we are.

i hear you, but it is hard to argue against KU's body of work as they have BY FAR played the toughest schedule in the country, and it isn't even close.

That being said if you told me before the season started that Texas would be in the top 15 in February I would have told you "Go home, you're drunk"

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We're a 4 loss team and there are 2 5 loss teams in the top 10 right now (one whom we've beaten) so it isn't out of the question for Texas to be a top 10 team, especially after beating 4 ranked teams in a row, which hasn't been done since 1997.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rankings are merely bragging points. I'm just happy that they are winning.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just referenced a win at TCU. You'll have to excuse me if I stopped reading your post right there

I'll make it easier for you. Teams can't be free falling when they won their last game.

... and no you aren't excused. You're acting like somebody in denial. ie: You won't read anything that might make you rethink.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll make it easier for you. Teams can't be free falling when they won their last game.

... and no you aren't excused. You're acting like somebody in denial. ie: You won't read anything that might make you rethink.

why is that, exactly? a team that is 1-6 in conference winning one game suddenly means they have turned the ship in the right direction? keep in mind OK State has struggled since losing their center and baylor's strength is inside.

Time and again I have said I am impressed with Texas, so how am I in denial?

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone notice that the quote function on this thread seems to have gone a little haywire?

I mean, I can still tell whose quote it is, but it is a little confusing...

and I am happy to have jumped up 10 spots. I think the voters just now noticed Texas, maybe they watched the Kansas game, read about the previous wins over ranked teams, and thought, hey, we should have ranked them last week, so we'll give them a few extra bumps now. Whatever, I'll take it. Just gotta keep winning, no matter the rankings anyway.

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fort Worth Star Telegram:

In the cut-throat Big 12 this season, even the best teams struggle keep win streaks alive. Around every corner, another tall task looms. It makes long win streaks hard to come by. This time it’s Texas, winners of six consecutive games, coming into TCU's Daniel-Meyer Coliseum at 7 p.m. Tuesday.

TCU coach Trent Johnson:
"We have a great opportunity in front of us versus a very, very good Texas team.”

“The thing that has impressed me, and it hasn’t surprised me at all — because I’m a big fan of coach Barnes — is how physical they are...how hard they play,” Johnson said. “They come at you in transition, they really dominate you on the glass and if you’re not going to match their intensity, or if you back down from their intensity and how hard they play, you’re going to struggle. They’ll definitely put their foot on you and try to bury you.”

“It sort of reminds me of all of Rick’s teams in terms of their physicality and they play the game the right way,” Johnson said.

Playing physically aggressive is one of Texas’ strengths. The Horns lead the league with 41.8 rebounds a game. TCU averages 32 rebounds a game.

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN: "The Longhorns don’t have a roster full of projected NBA first-round picks, but they have toughness."

"That was definitely the toughest team we’ve played," Kansas guard Naadir Tharpe said

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the first time UT has defeated two top-10 teams at home, Iowa State and Kansas, in a season since its 2002-03 Final Four season.

Bill Self: "Rick has a very good team this season"