• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas and Florida ... Nebraska and Tennessee

TheReal_NU

This space intentionally left blank
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska had 4 starters and 2 others who played starter minutes on that 1995 Fiesta Bowl team
Michael Booker
Christian Peter
Tyrone Williams
Jared Tomich
Reggie Baul
Jamel Williams

So 4/22 (or 24 if you include kickers) were a “sizable portion” of the 1995 team.

I’m not in denial that Nebraska used the rules at the time, but those rules also included the kid not playing at all their freshman year.
Now, they go to Juco for a year or two and then play D1.

Meanwhile, 9 starters on the 1995 team were from Nebraska.

TheReal_NU

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is my exact reason why Nebraska could get back to a top 25 team, but the days of challenging for a national title are gone.

From 2013-2017 — the state of Nebraska had 2 ‘blue chip recruits’ (classified as composite 247 four or five star). In 2014-2017, they had zero blue chip recruits.

It is impossible in today’s CFB to expect to compete with the top tier schools, when you have to pull all your talent from out of state, especially with the national exposure these high school kids get now.

12 starters on the 1997 Nebraska National Championship (the real champions of that year) were from Nebraska.

Do any of you actually think the level of football back then was that much higher in Nebraska? Did they really have 12 “blue chip” player in Nebraska the prior 4 years?

Its about getting the kid that is right for your program.

That is why there is (most certainly blind) faith in what Frost is working on right now.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12 starters on the 1997 Nebraska National Championship (the real champions of that year) were from Nebraska.

Do any of you actually think the level of football back then was that much higher in Nebraska? Did they really have 12 “blue chip” player in Nebraska the prior 4 years?

That is why there is (most certainly blind) faith in what Frost is working on right now.

I think Frost can most definitely get Nebraska back to respectability where they are competing with the teams in the B1G West.

Competing with the teams bringing in top 5 and top 10 recruiting classes year in and year out — it isn’t going to happen unless Nebraska follows suit.

The one thing Nebraska does have going for them — they play in the weakest division of any P5 conference right now. So essentially they have to get to Wisconsin’s level to give themselves a shot each year.

Honestly — I said the same thing about Michigan. We lack the in state talent the top tier teams have the luxury of having. So it puts UM behind the curve too. We have the academics, which really helps with recruits and the brand. It still makes life more difficult than other blue blood schools.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well lets see:

Texas - Its my opinion and we'll see what happens but IMO Texas has FINALLY gotten their sh*t together.
The Tom Herman hire was good, but the Del Conte hire was just... a. home. run.. Again my opinion but Texas is just in the infancy of a great run. They still have some recruiting and development to do and it may still take another year or 2 to reach "elite" level but I do believe that they are on the right track at last. Del Conte might be the best AD in CFB and you have HIM at a place like Texas... I know I'll live to HATE saying this when it happens but Texas being where I believe they are going is going to be fantastic for the Big12 and the rest of the conference members including OU. Texas aint back as far as the elite level but those days will be here in the next year or 2 imo so.. just a matter of time at this point iyam.

Florida - Mullen was hired at a good time for UF and he was another GREAT hire for their situation long term.
He has won ugly this year with ol sharkhumper's players and they are looking at a solid year and decent bowl game in year 1 and transitioning. Comparing that to what they have looked like the last few years... Future is bright there too imo. There are zero excuses for Florida and Texas not to be scary good.

Tennessee - Vols imo can be one of those programs that CAN have a championship run in it from time to time but I'm not sold on the Pruitt hire yet. That was a fiasco last year and frankly I thought Schiano was the better candidate. I'm not sure everyone that needs to be are on the same page just yet. Maybe that happens, maybe it don't. I wouldn't hold my breath on them being any kind of contender anytime soon.

Nebraska - Place has been an out of touch mess since they ran Frank Solich off. Bo Pelini was a good hire but their leadership sucked so he was doomed to fail from the start. It looks like the leadership has finally gotten its act together and made about as good a hire as they could have in Frost but its going to take time. Much like the UCF situation this is a ground up build and its going to be a little tougher than it was at UCF because of their location and level of competition. Big picture, from what it looks like today, Nebraska has to be better than Iowa and Wisconsin, I think that's a very realistic possibility. Might take 3-4 years but if Nebraska was a stock I'd buy at least some of it. They can win the west and then, who knows:noidea: maybe more but like Tennessee I think they are one of those who can do it from time to time now and not be an every year elite level team.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is my exact reason why Nebraska could get back to a top 25 team, but the days of challenging for a national title are gone.

From 2013-2017 — the state of Nebraska had 2 ‘blue chip recruits’ (classified as composite 247 four or five star). In 2014-2017, they had zero blue chip recruits.

It is impossible in today’s CFB to expect to compete with the top tier schools, when you have to pull all your talent from out of state, especially with the national exposure these high school kids get now.

Yeah and even worse is the surrounding states don't really produce much either. Indiana isn't filled with 4 or 5 stars (probably like 3/4 on average, but having Ohio, PA, MI and NJ close is certainly a positive for Notre Dame.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Back in the late 80's/early 90's, I'd have to believe it was better back then than what it is now. It may be marginal, but I can't even think of a player in the last decade to come out of Nebraska high school that's either been drafted or played in the NFL. I'm sure there's been one, so I'm probably wrong, just can't think of it. Unless Osborn and Co. were just that good at developing all those Nebraska kids back in the day, and maybe that's what it was.

TheReal_NU

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah and even worse is the surrounding states don't really produce much either. Indiana isn't filled with 4 or 5 stars (probably like 3/4 on average, but having Ohio, PA, MI and NJ close is certainly a positive for Notre Dame.

1995 roster. I was off earlier. 10 starters from the state of Nebraska.
Arguably the greatest college football team of all time.
Rankings are the author’s estimates.

Edit. Damn, the copy below is crappy. Check the link below and scroll down a ways to see them

1995-Nebraska-offense-1-300x169.jpg

1995-Nebraska-defense-300x169.jpg

Stolen from this article. It’s long.
1995 Nebraska and the myth of championship recruiting – Concerning Sports

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Edit. Damn, the copy below is crappy. Check the link below and scroll down a ways to see them

That's really interesting and useful. Thanks for the info. Do you think getting away from that type of offense is what has also hurt? Running that type of scheme can be better with lesser talented players(obviously speaking in terms of more along the O-line and WR units). Nebraska always had talented QB's and RB's in this time frame.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I’m sorry but in today’s CFB, unless you are pulling in monster recruiting classes year in and year out — you aren’t winning a national title.

It is why you see basically the same handful of teams competing for the CFP each year.

I think Frost can get Nebraska back to competing in the B1G West, but with the talent teams like Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, etc bring in — it is a pipe dream to think any school will compete on a yearly basis without the same type of recruiting classes. That’s why teams spend millions on recruiting. Spend 10’s of millions on weight rooms, practice facilities, locker rooms, etc. To try and attract the top recruits.

TheReal_NU

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's really interesting and useful. Thanks for the info. Do you think getting away from that type of offense is what has also hurt? Running that type of scheme can be better with lesser talented players(obviously speaking in terms of more along the O-line and WR units). Nebraska always had talented QB's and RB's in this time frame.

I think it’s the offense that Osborne was always going to run. Was it because of who he would be able to recruit??? Good question.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m sorry but in today’s CFB, unless you are pulling in monster recruiting classes year in and year out — you aren’t winning a national title.

It is why you see basically the same handful of teams competing for the CFP each year.

I think Frost can get Nebraska back to competing in the B1G West, but with the talent teams like Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, etc bring in — it is a pipe dream to think any school will compete on a yearly basis without the same type of recruiting classes. That’s why teams spend millions on recruiting. Spend 10’s of millions on weight rooms, practice facilities, locker rooms, etc. To try and attract the top recruits.

Loaded rosters aren't a new thing. Have you looked at the virtual NFL teams Miami, Michigan, Ohio St, Florida, Tennessee, etc had back in the day during those 90's runs by Nebraska?

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, if indeed they do win out, then they'd deserve a shot. But to win out is almost impossible. Don't ask me why, maybe it's because everyone plays everyone else, every year. But going undefeated in Big12 is tough to do.

Every single game for Texas is going to be a fight.

Because these fucking Big 12 coaches always seem to find a damn QB and a couple WR's that are just hard to stop. Then they run 150 plays a game at break neck speed. If you fuck up at all on offense and turn the ball over, you are toast. Even against the middle teams. It's frustrating as hell losing to lesser talented teams year after year.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's interesting. Is the ratio about the same for the recent Nebraska teams? I honestly have no clue. My guess would be no, but that's only because I doubt Nebraska produces on the level they did in the late 80's, early 90's in terms of high school talent. But if Nebraska could count of having 9 starters back then to be starters, it might not bode well now, if the high school talent has dried up.
Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas State,and others cashed in big on Nebraska talent. One local kid went to play as a freshman D Lineman at Stanford and started 4 years for them. as said, Nebraska has some big talent which played elsewhere as previous Husker coaches avoided recruiting them. Osborn let the kids build up strength and weight for a couple years before they hit the field. Now the depth is lacking as it has been for years as many recruited guys went bust. Pelini was notorious for taking offensive linemen and switching them to defense as his teams seemed to always be thin there.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That post of yours is going to do two things:

1. Piss off all the OU posters ... and there's a fvk load of 'em on here.
2. Swell the heads of the Bevo posters ... and I've seen arrogant Texas posters when Bevo was on a roll. They can make Bama posters look mellow.

<<<<<<<<
tenor.gif

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loaded rosters aren't a new thing. Have you looked at the virtual NFL teams Miami, Michigan, Ohio St, Florida, Tennessee, etc had back in the day during those 90's runs by Nebraska?

Is it possible? Sure, anything is possible. Is it likely? No.

Michigan State made it to the CFP with mostly 3 star and some 4 star players. Then they faced Alabama who had like 30+ five star recruits and got steam rolled.

Hell — who knows — maybe Nebraska breaks out the wishbone again?

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will be back next year, I’m very certain about this

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The worst thing about Texas fans right now is their self loathing negativity, me included to an extent. We are so beat down we are eating our own. You should see the Texas fan sites. It's a fucking blood bath right now. Bannings, personal attacks, neg rep flying like crazy. It's awesome, we can't enjoy the winning streak... :pound:
Hard to enjoy giving up three TDs in a quarter that started with OU deep in their own territory on a 1st and 20, giving up big plays in prevent, taking NO time off the clock on two drives while throwing instead of running when we had been pushing them around all day, and that dolt, Ehl, spiking the ball on 3rd and 3 when we are trying to run the clock... the same dolt who throws out of bounds in fourth down when losing late and on two point conversions.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's on two threads. Not you but another Bevo poster took a cheap shot at UW and the PAC and when I responded he told me to calm down. I spent an entire off season pumping up Texas and Tom Herman. Never again.

go pump yourself, dirtbag...teams don't need you to "hype them up".

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The worst thing about Texas fans right now is their self loathing negativity, me included to an extent. We are so beat down we are eating our own. You should see the Texas fan sites. It's a fucking blood bath right now. Bannings, personal attacks, neg rep flying like crazy. It's awesome, we can't enjoy the winning streak... :pound:

Hmmm, what sites are these you speak of? I like crazy people sites

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. Challenge for you.

Find out how many partial qualifiers were starters on any of the three National Championship teams.

Certain Texas fans have spouted this for decades and yet not a single one has ever shown this to be true. Ya’ll just keep saying it enough that you actually believe it.

Then, look up how many of those starters were from Nebraska.

Think you would be surprised if you actually looked it up.

False