• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas and Florida ... Nebraska and Tennessee

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska fans dont want to hear it:
Partial Qualifiers made up a sizeable portion of those 80s and 90s teams.

That was how they were able to get athletic fast kids from Florida and CA. Nobody else wanted to take a chance.
A florida kid might not want to go to Nebraska, but they would rather do that than play 2 years of junior college.

And to the credit of Nebraska, they took a lot of those risky kids and turned them into exceptional men.
Nebraska did a great job of turning most of them into decent educated admirable finished products.
But, they did take a lot of guys no one else wanted to take a risk on.

The Big 12 ended the practice altogether. It was a rule that TEXAS pushed through with their political clout.
A lot of the Nebraska hatred towards Texas started with that rule that was voted 11-1 against Nebraska.

They need to figure out a way to get those Florida and CA kids again as the Big 10 doesnt have any rule like the Big 12.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem for Nebraska is the kids getting recruited now to play college football don't remember one time in their life when the Huskers were relevant. Telling them about the 90s is fun but they don't care . There are 2 other programs in just the B10 West who have been far better than Nebraska over the last 15 years and about 30 other P5 programs can say the same . Tennessee is on the same boat but at least they have a better recruiting area and better weather . Neither school is any kids "dream" school anymore so they're left with leftovers
The things that made Nebraska strong in the 90's was in the trash can since then. In fact, Iowa had a better relationship with Omaha & Nebraska high schools than Nebraska over the past 14-15 years. Iowa Western CC has been a good place to recruit for Iowa and Kansas State. Frost's staff is the first Nebraska staff to visit that school. My daughter trained with Zack Duval for 4 years and is a big reason she excelled at sports and got a college scholarship. Nebraska had an option to keep Mr. Nice or to change everything which isn't easy or quick. Frost's freshmen are difference makers.

TheReal_NU

This space intentionally left blank
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ok. Challenge for you.

Find out how many partial qualifiers were starters on any of the three National Championship teams.

Certain Texas fans have spouted this for decades and yet not a single one has ever shown this to be true. Ya’ll just keep saying it enough that you actually believe it.

They need to figure out a way to get those Florida and CA kids again

Then, look up how many of those starters were from Nebraska.

Think you would be surprised if you actually looked it up.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was how they were able to get athletic fast kids from Florida and CA. Nobody else wanted to take a chance.
A florida kid might not want to go to Nebraska, but they would rather do that than play 2 years of junior college.

And to the credit of Nebraska, they took a lot of those risky kids and turned them into exceptional men.
Nebraska did a great job of turning most of them into decent educated admirable finished products.
But, they did take a lot of guys no one else wanted to take a risk on.

The Big 12 ended the practice altogether. It was a rule that TEXAS pushed through with their political clout.
A lot of the Nebraska hatred towards Texas started with that rule that was voted 11-1 against Nebraska.

They need to figure out a way to get those Florida and CA kids again as the Big 10 doesnt have any rule like the Big 12.
The rest of the Conference didn't take the time to get those kids up to speed with their education. Was it a bad thing to take kids out of the hood and help them them get a good education? According to everyone else yes but it seems really racist. Mike Rozier came by the Juco route in the early 1980's.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ranked #9 wins over USC, TCU and Oklahoma pretty impressive ... would I put them in the playoffs ... not yet.
We'll see. I'm not sold as you are on the TCU and USC wins being all that significant.

The OU one may be a good one, but it ain't a lock for a quality win yet either.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. Challenge for you.

Find out how many partial qualifiers were starters on any of the three National Championship teams.

Certain Texas fans have spouted this for decades and yet not a single one has ever shown this to be true. Ya’ll just keep saying it enough that you actually believe it.

I don't have the time to look it up, but how many of the star players came from Nebraska? I'm guessing O-line probably did, but what about skill players? Or D-line and DB's? I'm only curious because it is interesting case study IMO.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, with Texas, it's been so long since they could be counted on to deliver. Every game this year, Texas fans have been on the edge of their seats, waiting for everything to fall apart.

When you have a revolving door of coaches-I mean when you have guys that play for a different coordinator year after year, they lose interest/hope. This is the first year in many, where the QB is running the same offense with the same coaches that was used the previous year.

Plus they are playing hard. Past half decade, Texas teams played games at 3/4 speed. Practice speed. You could see it, and you cant win playing like that.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I respect your opinion, but I do not agree ... I think Scott Frost is going to bring them back.

Back to a top 25 team — I agree. Back to a top tier team — I don’t see that happening because of how recruiting is in today’s game.

The top tier teams have a home state which produces elite talent. Nebraska doesn’t have that............at all. They must rely on solely players from outside of the state. It is tough enough trying to keep your in state talent home — it is even tougher to fight it out with all the other top tier teams if a recruit is going to leave a state.

It is why I said on another thread — I think Frost can get them back to respectability (challenge for their division), but don’t see them ever going back to a national title contender.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. Challenge for you.

I think you are correct. My opinion and research on the Nebraska football program of the 90's was a long buildup (over many years) of cutting edge strength and conditioning pioneered at Nebraska. I just think everybody else caught on and caught up.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rest of the Conference didn't take the time to get those kids up to speed with their education. Was it a bad thing to take kids out of the hood and help them them get a good education? According to everyone else yes but it seems really racist. Mike Rozier came by the Juco route in the early 1980's.
As a former educator I say hell no. Admirable IMO.

I think this is a dilemma nearly every school struggles with. And now it seems you get hung out to dry if things don't turn out right when you take a chance on an athletically talented kid with questionable grades and/or character. The school/staff may be trying to do a noble thing and then the media/social media make them out to be low lifes once the kids do something "un choirboy like". (Personally, I'd rather deal with a kid like you describe than I would one with a pain in the ass helicopter parent. Just my preference.)

I like to see coaches/schools willing to give those type kids a chance but also address issues properly when the kids do mess up. It ain't right (and does the kid no good long term) when the idiot coaches try to cover it up or sweep it under the rug. Just face it and deal with it correctly.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Texas has proved that they are back ... and it's about frickin' time!!!

Texas is definitely finally putting their recruiting advantage to decent use.

However, they are nowhere near the level they were with V. Young. Oklahoma has some issues right now, so I didn’t find the outcome of that game to be too surprising.

With the hotbed that Texas sits in they should be going 10+ wins every single damn year.

TheReal_NU

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have the time to look it up, but how many of the star players came from Nebraska? I'm guessing O-line probably did, but what about skill players? Or D-line and DB's? I'm only curious because it is interesting case study IMO.

It’s a test for certain Texas posters. Two in particular.
They won’t post the results for one or two reasons.

1- they find the results and realize they have been spouting shit for decades.
2- they are too stupid to use google.

I’ll even help.
9 starters on the 1994 team were from Nebraska.

TheReal_NU

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are correct. My opinion and research on the Nebraska football program of the 90's was a long buildup (over many years) of cutting edge strength and conditioning pioneered at Nebraska. I just think everybody else caught on and caught up.

This is very true.
And don’t forget about the steroids. They were rampant back then. But they also weren’t banned at the time.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nebraska had 4 starters and 2 others who played starter minutes on that 1995 Fiesta Bowl team
Michael Booker
Christian Peter
Tyrone Williams
Jared Tomich
Reggie Baul
Jamel Williams

That is 1/5th of the entire core (top 30 players) not being academically eligible and other schools passing on them.

I dont fault Nebraska.
They probably even did the right thing by helping out troubled kids.
Most of them are pillars of the community today.

But, they are not allowed to do it anymore. Whether it was RIGHT/WRONG is not the argument.
Nebraska fans dont want to admit it. That really hurt their national recruiting the last 20 years and the results show.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s a test for certain Texas posters. Two in particular.
They won’t post the results for one or two reasons.

1- they find the results and realize they have been spouting shit for decades.
2- they are too stupid to use google.

I’ll even help.
9 starters on the 1994 team were from Nebraska.

That's interesting. Is the ratio about the same for the recent Nebraska teams? I honestly have no clue. My guess would be no, but that's only because I doubt Nebraska produces on the level they did in the late 80's, early 90's in terms of high school talent. But if Nebraska could count of having 9 starters back then to be starters, it might not bode well now, if the high school talent has dried up.

TheReal_NU

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's interesting. Is the ratio about the same for the recent Nebraska teams? I honestly have no clue. My guess would be no, but that's only because I doubt Nebraska produces on the level they did in the late 80's, early 90's in terms of high school talent. But if Nebraska could count of having 9 starters back then to be starters, it might not bode well now, if the high school talent has dried up.

Not even close.
Mike Riley didn’t know they played football in Nebraska. He certainly never coached football in the state of Nebraska.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska should be at least a annual 8-9 win team after 3 or 4 years

Tennessee I still believe hasn’t found the right head coach, so they could be 3-7 years away from being a respectable contender for their division

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Washington was able to come back from the 2000s, I’d think Nebraska should be able to figure it out.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is my exact reason why Nebraska could get back to a top 25 team, but the days of challenging for a national title are gone.

From 2013-2017 — the state of Nebraska had 2 ‘blue chip recruits’ (classified as composite 247 four or five star). In 2014-2017, they had zero blue chip recruits.

It is impossible in today’s CFB to expect to compete with the top tier schools, when you have to pull all your talent from out of state, especially with the national exposure these high school kids get now.