• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tevin Coleman on Lions Radar?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ok so why on earth would Dallas worry about who’s running the ball for them then? Shouldn’t McFadden be enough since you can throw any RB behind a good o-line?
It’s not about just having the ability to produce over a 1,000 yards from the position to have an “effective” running game. That’s just over 60 yards a game for a RB to achieve those numbers. I’m sure teams rather have the guy that is a real “threat” to a defense; the guy who can go for 1,500 yards and 15+ tds and be a feature guy versus a “system” RB that is decent but only affective behind a good o-line. There is a major difference between the two.

Take a Gurley versus Abdulluh for example. Behind the great o-line, Gurley will probably out-produce Abdullah by a longshot, while Abdullah will put up numbers but probably won’t scare a defense much. Put Gurley behind a average o-line, and his numbers aren’t “as good” but still very impressive and he commands attention. Put Abdullah in that spot, we probably get fair numbers from him but nothing to gloat about.

IMO, the Lions need a feature RB, finally and if they have a chance to get him, I say take him. I like the idea of beefing up the oline also, I just think whatever the best player is at the time is the one they should take.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, the Lions do need a little help up front but I still think there is a bit of an over-reaction on that front. They need a LG for sure. If they take a LT and move Rieff to the right, that's cool but then they still need a LG. I'm still curious as to how much of the offensive line struggles came from the new offense (confusion). I'm not sure you just completely overhaul that area after last year.

The Lions will have extra picks next year and some cap space. If they took a RB early and didn't do enough to fix the oline, they could still get that done.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Colts, Patriots, Ravens and a few others all have been rumored to be in the mix for a RB. Why would they be if any RB will work behind a good oline? Im just curious to how that works.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Colts, Patriots, Ravens and a few others all have been rumored to be in the mix for a RB. Why would they be if any RB will work behind a good oline? Im just curious to how that works.

Colts have the most inconsistent O lines in football (even word then the Lions, though not by much).

Why are you using them to support your argument?

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2014: The Year Offensive Line Continuity Died

Pats line is pretty inconsistent too.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colts have the most inconsistent O lines in football (even word then the Lions, though not by much).

Well, it doesn't directly support my argument but these teams that I've mentioned represent teams that draft really well and either have or is close to winning a championship.

Even with inconsistent oline's, there are still rumors that these teams covet some of these RBs early in the draft. The Colts went and got Gore and are still considering it. The Ravens have a decent RB but wants a upgrade. The Pats have a whole bunch of guys yet they're still looking. The reason? Value.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2014: The Year Offensive Line Continuity Died

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, because each of these teams represents teams that draft well and either have or is trying to win a championship. Even with some inconsistencies up front, each team is still being rumored to covet some of these RBs early in the draft. The Colts went out and got Gore but are still looking. I wonder why? The Ravens have a decent RB but still look to upgrade. The Pats have plenty of guys still, yet they’re still interested. Why? Value.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you have a "great RB in late rounds" in mind?

I like Zack Zenner and John Crockett. But mostly because I think Bell is an overpaid scrub. Id like a real feature back. (Not against drafting a RB early AND late personally.)Only one I see in this draft that won't start on the PUPlist is my boy Tevin.

To be fair, I did say "good to great" not flat out great.

But no, I don't have anyone in particular in mind. I find the older I get the less I have to pay attention to all of this process. 15 years ago I could have given you a full breakdown of everyone drafted and probably the top 50 undrafted guys. All off the top of my head. 10 years ago I would at least recognize most of the names drafted and know everything about the first 4-5 rounds. 5 years ago I would know everything about the top 50 ish picks and have heard the names and general rankings of maybe the top 4-5 rounds. This year I'm not sure I'll even recognize the name of every first rounder.

I'm sure there is somebody who will fit the bill though.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, because each of these teams represents teams that draft well and either have or is trying to win a championship. Even with some inconsistencies up front, each team is still being rumored to covet some of these RBs early in the draft. The Colts went out and got Gore but are still looking. I wonder why? The Ravens have a decent RB but still look to upgrade. The Pats have plenty of guys still, yet they’re still interested. Why? Value.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what are we asking the team to do about the running game here? Here’s how I see the two scenarios being presented.

Scenario A: Draft a O-lineman in the first round and beef up the o-line and roll with Bell as the clear-cut starter. Draft another RB, with some uncertainty of exactly who that could be due to the uncertainty about how the draft may fall. This way ensures the o-line is upgraded and leaves somewhat of a question of what will happen at RB. Drafting a LT potentially upgrades the LT and RT spot.

Scenario B: Draft a RB in the first round and upgrade the backfield and possibly roll with similar starting o-linemen at the tackle spots. Draft a o-lineman later with some uncertainty who that may be with the way the draft may fall. This way ensures the Lions add a feature back and leaves some questions up front. Drafting a RB early potentially upgrades the offense and gives the Lions a strong option at RB.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who you lookin at in the third? Don't say DJ,..... he won't be there. He won't. He really won't.

There are two fast backs in this draft. Tevin and Langford, and Im waiting for someone to promote Langford so I can rainbow the shit outta they ass.

Gordon can eat brunch at Nemos fer all I care, btw.

I am just saying, I wouldn't draft him (Coleman) before the third. There is 1 star in the class (Gurley), the rest are "Just a guy". Coleman is a poor man's Mcfadden to me.

BTW- Langford is AWESOME!!!

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If McFadden could stay healthy I think he could produce big numbers behind the Dallas line. Murray won't even be close to his 2014 numbers in Philly and if AP ends up in Dallas the single season rushing record is in danger because that is a better line than he has had before plus the threat of a good passing game. Can't have everyone in the box trying to stop him.

You think if he ends up in Oakland he produces the same? Why not? Same RB with same skill set. Only thing that is different is the oline and lack of passing game threat. We have the same passing game threat and no chance he produces here what he would in Dallas, and probably Oakland, all because our line sucks

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If McFadden could stay healthy I think he could produce big numbers behind the Dallas line. Murray won't even be close to his 2014 numbers in Philly and if AP ends up in Dallas the single season rushing record is in danger because that is a better line than he has had before plus the threat of a good passing game. Can't have everyone in the box trying to stop him.

You think if he ends up in Oakland he produces the same? Why not? Same RB with same skill set. Only thing that is different is the oline and lack of passing game threat. We have the same passing game threat and no chance he produces here what he would in Dallas, and probably Oakland, all because our line sucks

I agree to an extent. Its obvious overall numbers increase behind great o-lines but I don't think its a huge difference considering great RBs have the ability to create on their own often. For some RBs, all they need is the initial block by the olinemen up front while others need their o-linemen to hold blocks forever. That's why vision and is so critical for RBs.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, the Lions do need a little help up front but I still think there is a bit of an over-reaction on that front

Which part is an overreaction? Stafford being sacked a career high 40+ times or having one of the worst running games in the NFL?

When your offensive line struggled in pass protection and struggled in run blocking -- they need more than a little help up front.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see -- last year they called the WR class one of the best groups they've ever seen before the draft, so Mayhew drafted a Tight End in the 1st round

This year -- they are saying this is one of the best RB classes in a long time, so my guess is, Mayhew will draft a fullback in the 1st round.

Who is rated as the best fullback in this draft? That is who Mayhew will draft this year. :)

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which part is an overreaction? Stafford being sacked a career high 40+ times or having one of the worst running games in the NFL?

When your offensive line struggled in pass protection and struggled in run blocking -- they need more than a little help up front.

I'm just saying that they went from pass protecting very well to really bad. How much can you put on the new scheme? I don't think the oline needs a complete overhaul.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actual like David Johnson. Have stuck with him since day two.

Just looking for some :Stinkeye: love from Smit~Tay

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just saying that they went from pass protecting very well to really bad. How much can you put on the new scheme? I don't think the oline needs a complete overhaul.

How much can we put on our last OC being able to mask the lines deficiencies in his blocking schemes and a QB who would throw balls away or force throws instead of taking a sack?

IMO, Stafford has more to do with the pass protection success in years past than anything else. If you look at Stafford's numbers -- his best two seasons were 2011 and 2014 -- he was sacked 36 and 45 times. 2012 and 2013, when our pass protection was supposedly very good -- his completion % was the two lowest of his career, sans his rookie season and he 36 interceptions in those two years.

I think Detroit has a solid couple spots on the OL -- Warford, I think, will be very good. I think Reiff is better suited inside or at RT. Swanson looked alright in his time playing. So 3/5's of the OL is set, but I think we need a road grader inside and a really good LT. I think if we can find a really good LT -- it would be huge for the line, as Reiff could move from there.

This is why I don't think there is any reason to spend a 1st round pick on a RB. Fix the trenches on both sides of the ball. Find a replacement for Mathis at CB. Draft a replacement for Ihedbigo, as he will go to the highest bidder after this season. We can get a RB in the 3rd or 4th round to split carries with Bell and Riddick.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this though -- IF the Lions could get Coleman in the 2nd round. I wouldn't be upset about that. I was thoroughly impressed watching him in college.