• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tevin Coleman on Lions Radar?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injuries. RBs typically don't last very long in the NFL, so investing a 1st round pick in one is a huge gamble. Reference the 2012 draft- 3 RBs taken in the 1st round, one is already out of the league due to injuries, another is close to it, and the 3rd one just plain stinks at playing RB...

I get that, but I don't really like to use that kind of thinking here. If that's the case, why would you draft any position? Injuries can happen to anyone. I wouldn't let fear dictate my drafting.

I'd be pretty well shocked if all Gurley, Gordon, and Coleman all go in the 1st round this year. No RB has gone in the 1st round the last two years...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop looking directly at the position and consider the situation. A great running game is really valuable for the team right now. They've been without it for a long time. Of course you want the RB to be "worthy" of the selection but if he is, what's the problem?

You're hoping to get a guy that can carry the load and make defenses pay. Play action and things like that never work that well unless you have a threat back there. Bell is decent but Im sure defenses don't fear him that much.
I think most of us agree with that, but without a quality o-line in front of him, no RB is going to have much success, and therefore, we still wouldn't have a great running game.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that, but I don't really like to use that kind of thinking here. If that's the case, why would you draft any position? Injuries can happen to anyone. I wouldn't let fear dictate my drafting.
Injuries can happen to any position, but there's absolutely no doubt that they happen much more frequently to RBs, as evidenced by their generally shortened careers... Our last 1st round RB (and our last second round RB, for that matter) are prime examples of that, imo.

I'm not against taking the right RB in the 1st round, but I'm also very leery of taking any RB in the 1st as a general rule...

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, if everyone is split in the war room about taking a RB in the first, what should they do?

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams stopped valuing RB's so high in the first round. None have been taken for a couple years at all, and people have been getting great production out of later round RB's. Then all of the sudden the deepest draft in years comes along where you should be able to get a good to great RB in late rounds; and for some reason people start acting like now we need to draft them higher than ever before?

I was watching NFL network the other day, and 2 of their draft "experts" were saying both Gurley and Gordon were top 10 picks. Almost locks to be top 10 picks.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way no how should the Lions use the 23 on Coleman. He is a solid second round guy and rated between the 4th and 6th best back coming out. I think he will be their when the Lions pick in the second but if he is not then their will be comparable options.

I like Coleman and if the Lions get a RB in the draft I would like it to be him or Gurley. But I can't see reaching with better players still on the board and I do believe their will be better players on the board.

I am a huge proponent of trading down this year. The Lions drop into the second they could still get Coleman and Davis the DT from Iowa and look at building the line in the third the same round thy got Swanson last year and Warford a couple of years ago.

I can not see three RBs going in the first: Gurley, Gordon, Ajayi/Coleman/Abdullah/Johnson.

That all becomes absolute if Coleman is actually ranked higher than what the talking heads and scouting services report. Then thats were we trust a good GM to actually know what is what with rankings more so than Kiper, CBS, McShay and the rest.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The draft never takes full shape until right up to draft time. Players rise tremendously on those last days. OBJ didnt rise until late. I still dont see a reason as to why people automatically assume the RB position can be filled at any time during the draft. It can but it cant. Everyone has different opinions though so....

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The draft never takes full shape until right up to draft time. Players rise tremendously on those last days. OBJ didnt rise until late. I still dont see a reason as to why people automatically assume the RB position can be filled at any time during the draft. It can but it cant. Everyone has different opinions though so....

Because we see other NFL teams do it every year, and stupidly think Mayhew can too. Any position can be filled at any time during the draft if you draft good players. But you're right. With Mayhew, it's silly to think he can successfully fill the RB position at any time in the draft. if the top back is gone when the Lions pick, I don't trust Mayhew to decide who the next best one is.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep! I think some team might take that chance. I like Cleveland to do that.
They pick twice in the first. I could see it.

I think the Viks could be in play at 12. Once they trade AP to Dallas anyway.

San Diego at 17 also.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams stopped valuing RB's so high in the first round. None have been taken for a couple years at all, and people have been getting great production out of later round RB's. Then all of the sudden the deepest draft in years comes along where you should be able to get a good to great RB in late rounds; and for some reason people start acting like now we need to draft them higher than ever before?

I was watching NFL network the other day, and 2 of their draft "experts" were saying both Gurley and Gordon were top 10 picks. Almost locks to be top 10 picks.
Do you have a "great RB in late rounds" in mind?

I like Zack Zenner and John Crockett. But mostly because I think Bell is an overpaid scrub. Id like a real feature back. (Not against drafting a RB early AND late personally.)Only one I see in this draft that won't start on the PUPlist is my boy Tevin.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me guess? You cant draft a RB if you dont draft a oline first..blah...blah or Lionstop1loves skilled players..blah..blah...or...there is some kind of code to follow in the draft...blah..blah..or the Lions need to draft for need, not shiny new toys...blah..or me and "Bubbles
" think alike...
Go ahead, say it.

I just don't think he's that good. He's fast but there are a lot of fast players in the NFL. He runs to tight and upright and is liable to get popped and injured in the NFL. I might take the plunge in the 3rd. No way in hell with either of the first 2 picks though.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't think he's that good. He's fast but there are a lot of fast players in the NFL. He runs to tight and upright and is liable to get popped and injured in the NFL. I might take the plunge in the 3rd. No way in hell with either of the first 2 picks though.
Who you lookin at in the third? Don't say DJ,..... he won't be there. He won't. He really won't.

There are two fast backs in this draft. Tevin and Langford, and Im waiting for someone to promote Langford so I can rainbow the shit outta they ass.

Gordon can eat brunch at Nemos fer all I care, btw.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's bubbles?

I want an answer this time fagmars.

Stop leaving me oot in the cold with yer inside jokes aimed at yerselves. It sucks.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are several good RBs in the league that have a high running style. It seems as if everyone keeps going back to injuries for a reason to avoid drafting a RB.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if your o-line can open holes you can plug in anyone and get a 1200+ yard rusher. See mike Anderson, Orlandis Gary, Reuben Drohns, Clinton Portis, Tatum Bell, even Travis Henry and Selvin Young split carries and had 1400 yards. Denver could block and everyone they put back there excelled as a result.

You have to have a quality o-line first. Stafford got killed last year and now guys want to spend a first rd pick on another player who will get wrecked behind this line? I simply don't get that and even if I did Coleman isn't going to be there in the 2nd round and reaching to an extreme level for him in the first round ranks right up there with the Ebron pick.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if your o-line can open holes you can plug in anyone and get a 1200+ yard rusher. See mike Anderson, Orlandis Gary, Reuben Drohns, Clinton Portis, Tatum Bell, even Travis Henry and Selvin Young split carries and had 1400 yards. Denver could block and everyone they put back there excelled as a result.

Ok so why on earth would Dallas worry about who’s running the ball for them then? Shouldn’t McFadden be enough since you can throw any RB behind a good o-line?
It’s not about just having the ability to produce over a 1,000 yards from the position to have an “effective” running game. That’s just over 60 yards a game for a RB to achieve those numbers. I’m sure teams rather have the guy that is a real “threat” to a defense; the guy who can go for 1,500 yards and 15+ tds and be a feature guy versus a “system” RB that is decent but only affective behind a good o-line. There is a major difference between the two.

Take a Gurley versus Abdulluh for example. Behind the great o-line, Gurley will probably out-produce Abdullah by a longshot, while Abdullah will put up numbers but probably won’t scare a defense much. Put Gurley behind a average o-line, and his numbers aren’t “as good” but still very impressive and he commands attention. Put Abdullah in that spot, we probably get fair numbers from him but nothing to gloat about.

IMO, the Lions need a feature RB, finally and if they have a chance to get him, I say take him. I like the idea of beefing up the oline also, I just think whatever the best player is at the time is the one they should take.

You have to have a quality o-line first. Stafford got killed last year and now guys want to spend a first rd pick on another player who will get wrecked behind this line? I simply don't get that and even if I did Coleman isn't going to be there in the 2nd round and reaching to an extreme level for him in the first round ranks right up there with the Ebron pick.