• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Terms, Contracts, DFA Explained

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is what I've found on the rules for the 60 player pool for 2020 (from MLB.com):
"Non-40-man-roster players may be removed by trade, release, placement on the COVID-19 related injured list, or placement on the suspended list (by the club), military, voluntarily retired, restricted, disqualified or ineligible lists. Any injured non-40-man-roster players will continue to count against the team’s Player Pool unless they are removed through one of the aforementioned transactions."

Here are links for the suspended, restricted, disqualified and ineligible list requirements.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Similar to the 40-man list, except that a 49-spot can be freed up by going on the 60-day IL (45-day this year)

Either way, I stand by my opinion that he was added so the org could get a good, solid look at him this year.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Similar to the 40-man list, except that a 49-spot can be freed up by going on the 60-day IL (45-day this year)

Either way, I stand by my opinion that he was added so the org could get a good, solid look at him this year.
Not denying the reason why they did that. Just questioning why load up the 60 player pool on these types of players (I count Bailey, Luciano, Toribio, Wilson, Canario and Ramos, maybe Bart, in this group). Burning 7 or 8 spots in a year like this seems risky. I guess FZ and Harris can just churn through the 20 players between this group and the 30 active players. However, I don't know the rules for releasing guys who are have tested positive for COVID, should they get hit like the Marlins did. We should see how the Marlins handle roster management as early as Tuesday.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not denying the reason why they did that. Just questioning why load up the 60 player pool on these types of players (I count Bailey, Luciano, Toribio, Wilson, Canario and Ramos, maybe Bart, in this group). Burning 7 or 8 spots in a year like this seems risky. I guess FZ and Harris can just churn through the 20 players between this group and the 30 active players. However, I don't know the rules for releasing guys who are have tested positive for COVID, should they get hit like the Marlins did. We should see how the Marlins handle roster management as early as Tuesday.
Is there actually a minor league camp for teams to still work with non-60 players? Is Hjelle just chilling this year, for example? Or is he is Arizona or Sacto playing/working out every day?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there actually a minor league camp for teams to still work with non-60 players? Is Hjelle just chilling this year, for example? Or is he is Arizona or Sacto playing/working out every day?
I doubt there is any organized camp, considering the crazy restrictions going on this year. I think the 60 player pool was to allow just enough additional players to stay in game shape, under team supervision, without a every large amount of players and support personnel.
My guess is that Hjelle and other top prospects have a regimen that they maintain and report to the org on a regular basis. The rest are probably left to their own devices.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may be getting into the weeds a bit much but I wondered why players in the minor leagues were ocassionally listed as on a "development list". This is what I learned:
I also learned about the temporary inactive list as well:

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I learned something new today. Apparently, NRIs cannot be added to 40 man rosters until March 15th.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3