• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tequila...not what you probably remember!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't do much of the high-end tequilas anymore, but dollar for dollar, I think it's damn hard to beat Milagro.

That's my day-to-day go-to.

If I'm making tacos for the kids, you better believe there's a shooter glass, a bowl of fleur de sel and a bottle of Milagro near by.

I hear ya!

I'm not of that elk to be replacing liquor that costs 3 digits every month, so most of the highend stuff I have I'm starting to push to the back of the liquor cabinet. I do want a nice bourbon, scotch and tequila...friends come over that appreciate something nice, I can pull it out.

My go to tequilas is Fortaleza reposado, not cheap, but affordable enough for me to replace it when it's on empty.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am going to the CNM track this weekend in Bowling Green. I always make a run to the liquor store there as the prices are always a lot lower especially the bourbons. Will see what they have.

Sounds like a fun time!

I can imagine bourbons would be a little less there.

Can't miss with any of the 4 I mentioned if you go for a repo...of those the Casa Noble is most bourbon like in color/taste. It might be the easiest to find as well. I think getting Carlos Santana money behind them has help expand distribution. Just about everybody carries Casa Noble here...blanco, repo and anejo are pretty common stock items.

You won't likely, but if you by chance see the Muchote repo...get it. Espolon you will likely see, I didn't put this one on the list, but if I gave you 5 this would probably be the 5th...under $30 here.

Enjoy!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is insane what some people flip it for. The price gouging has gotten down to Weller the same people who distill Pappy. You literally cannot get Weller on the east coast and if you can mark up is ridiclous.
I got curious and looked up the tequila. Wine Enthusiast gave it a 93.

041318_best_cheap_tequila_slide_9_fs.max-784x410.jpg

Well...you're hopefully having a blast in Bowling Green by now!

True to my word I did pick up a bottle on Friday and I was on the grill making shrimp fajitas last night and typically I'm sipping on something while I'm out there. So I wanted to post this while it was still fresh.

lunazul repo.jpg

Shot here in the sunroom right off the grilling pad...my standard 2 oz shot in a Glencarin whiskey glass.

I wasn't sure what to expect for $15.95 / 750ml...but here she goes.

Nose...citrus and alcohol is mostly what I picked up...alcohol was on the strong side so it's not really inviting as the my top 4 repos.

Palate...while I was prepared for a strong alcohol taste...you don't get that. Much smoother than expected, the citrus does come through. Not much spice heat. You do pick up agave flavor, but not a ton from the barrel.

Finish...this is where it falls short of the mark compared to the 5 repos I listed...has a weird aftertaste that repeated sip after sip. No alcohol burn which is amazing considering how much you pick up on the nose.

I tried a 2 oz shot of Ocho Tequila repo (same glass) right behind this and it confirmed what I was smelling/tasting with Lunazul....nose and finish are not as refined as the top 4 repos I've had.

Definitely neat worthy, but I think my next drink of this will be in a tumbler instead of a glencarin and also that drop of water see if that doesn't change the nose/aftertaste...I suspect it will from past experience especially the nose. Glencarin glasses are designed to enhance the aroma.

3 of 5....Recommended...not top shelf, but just hard to beat it for the price.

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...you're hopefully having a blast in Bowling Green by now!

True to my word I did pick up a bottle on Friday and I was on the grill making shrimp fajitas last night and typically I'm sipping on something while I'm out there. So I wanted to post this while it was still fresh.

View attachment 200371

Shot here in the sunroom right off the grilling pad...my standard 2 oz shot in a Glencarin whiskey glass.

I wasn't sure what to expect for $15.95 / 750ml...but here she goes.

Nose...citrus and alcohol is mostly what I picked up...alcohol was on the strong side so it's not really inviting as the my top 4 repos.

Palate...while I was prepared for a strong alcohol taste...you don't get that. Much smoother than expected, the citrus does come through. Not much spice heat. You do pick up agave flavor, but not a ton from the barrel.

Finish...this is where it falls short of the mark compared to the 5 repos I listed...has a weird aftertaste that repeated sip after sip. No alcohol burn which is amazing considering how much you pick up on the nose.

I tried a 2 oz shot of Ocho Tequila repo (same glass) right behind this and it confirmed what I was smelling/tasting with Lunazul....nose and finish are not as refined as the top 4 repos I've had.

Definitely neat worthy, but I think my next drink of this will be in a tumbler instead of a glencarin and also that drop of water see if that doesn't change the nose/aftertaste...I suspect it will from past experience especially the nose. Glencarin glasses are designed to enhance the aroma.

3 of 5....Recommended...not top shelf, but just hard to beat it for the price.
Had a great time. The Pub was a good choice and not far from where we stayed. Thanks. Had a great time at the CNM track also. Got to know it better. 145 mph down the front straight with 120 down the back straight actually getting airborne which is a treat as you are about 40 yards from the breaking point of a hard 40mph right hander.

Went by the liquor barn after dinner but at that point just picking up some bourbon was on the list. Prices were not as good as last time but got some Buffalo Trace which is basically unavailable here and some Bullitt at some good prices. They were out of Bowman Brothers. Also got some a limited edition Crown with Mesquite smoke infused. Worth a try.

Sorry the Lunazel did not score higher but at the price it is worth finding out how best to enjoy it. Also the Glencarin is the best way to enjoy good whiskey and like you say a different glass might smooth the Lunazel out. Enjoy experimenting and at the price you can afford to experiment a lot.

Last edited:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had a great time. The Pub was a good choice and not far from where we stayed. Thanks. Had a great time at the CNM track also. Got to know it better. 145 mph down the front straight with 120 down the back straight actually getting airborne which is a treat as you are about 40 yards from the breaking point of a hard 40mph right hander.

Went by the liquor barn after dinner but at that point just picking up some bourbon was on the list. Prices were not as good as last time but got some Buffalo Trace which is basically unavailable here and some Bullitt at some good prices. They were out of Bowman Brothers. Also got some a limited edition Crown with Mesquite smoke infused. Worth a try.

Sorry the Lunazel did not score higher but at the price it is worth finding out how best to enjoy it. Also the Glencarin is the best way to enjoy good whiskey and like you say a different glass might smooth the Lunazel out. Enjoy experimenting and at the price you can afford to experiment a lot.

Glad you had a great time...been a while since I been to a race of any kind, but the sounds alone are so exhilarating....Buffalo Trace is a very good standby!

Actually Lunazul holds its ground very well considering the next lowest price repo I was comparing it to was double the price. They have a good thing going. Thanks for turning me on to it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Man...I guess I should feel pretty lucky...Tower Spirits is probably 15 mins from my job, and Total Wine might be 20 mins and as bourbons go...between the two they have pretty much whatever you want.

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man...I guess I should feel pretty lucky...Tower Spirits is probably 15 mins from my job, and Total Wine might be 20 mins and as bourbons go...between the two they have pretty much whatever you want.
Here we have the 4th highest tax on alcohol and all distribution is state run in that private stores must get from the state. When I go to Bowling Green I usually stock up but may have to check out GA and TN stores their taxes are lower than KY.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we have the 4th highest tax on alcohol and all distribution is state run in that private stores must get from the state. When I go to Bowling Green I usually stock up but may have to check out GA and TN stores their taxes are lower than KY.
Maybe. Kentucky's is only $2 less than ours, but I think their bourbon prices are more than a $2 difference (based on what I've seen posted on rivals in the past).

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe. Kentucky's is only $2 less than ours, but I think their bourbon prices are more than a $2 difference (based on what I've seen posted on rivals in the past).
It is based upon the difference in taxes about $2 less than here also, but add in the taxes and it is about $5-6 a 750 less. When you hit specials quite a bit more and a lot larger selection.

Not enough difference to travel to stock up but when you are there it is worth the trip.

Reactions: gob

_rolltideroll_

4 out of 3 people have trouble with basic math...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:o

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I haven't paid much attention to the tax portion of it, Tower and Total wine are typically $2 to as much a $5 less than the local LQ stores.

So does the state collect the sales tax and the distribution mark up? So they dbl dip on liquor revenue?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also the Glencarin is the best way to enjoy good whiskey
\

Indeed.

IDK if it tastes much different, but the aroma is definitely more enhanced than drinking from a tumbler...with the more complex aged liquor, the aroma can change after swirling it around a little.

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tequila has a lot going on .....
Had the worst case of dry heaves in my life trying to slam Three Fingers Tequila with a couple of friends back in the day. I truly believed I was going to hell.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had the worst case of dry heaves in my life trying to slam Three Fingers Tequila with a couple of friends back in the day. I truly believed I was going to hell.

I had that drinking kamikazes back, geeze I was just 21 actually...so 35 yrs ago...I woke up the next day and thought I was in the hospital...dry heaving for 2 days after...literally.

Have not had a kamikaze since, and really haven't been that drunk again ever. I drink the good stuff or nothing at all now....you live (hopefully) and learn.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
upload_2019-5-12_10-32-59.jpeg

About 2 months ago my local spot got in the Añejo of my favorite brand of tequila....Fortaleza.

I haven’t done a head to head, with Don Julio 1942, but I plan to get around to it...1942 is sort of the gold standard for top shelf Añejo tequilas that you don’t have to take out a 2nd mortgage to buy (say Gran Patron...Bourdeos).

I’ve had 1942 at a bar...very good...both are very smooth sippers, ‘42 is sweeter, the Fortaleza is more agave forward which I prefer, and consistent with their reposado in that there are no additives...you do pick up some wood influence and it gives it an ever so slight vanilla hint, not as strong as the ‘42.

If I were introducing to a newbie, I might suggest the ‘42 because it’s sweeter, but the Fortaleza is easily the best Añejo I’ve had to date.

$80 a bottle, it’s $25 or so more than the reposado, but I like both.

Highly recommended.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what....I might just try this tequila stuff.

Worst case I don't like it, and use it to make s margarita

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what....I might just try this tequila stuff.

Worst case I don't like it, and use it to make s margarita

That's a great way to approach it....my brother-n-law drinks rum mostly when he drinks...I left him a bottle of blanco, reposado and anejo...same thing, the blanco was intended for margaritas but if he didn't like the other two, they work in margaritas as well.

For you, coming from bourbon iirc...I would try Casa Noble brand and start with the Anejo...it's a good transition tequila. Fair amount of barrel effect that you would be accustomed to, with some hint of the agave flavor. Their reposado is also very good, more agave, less barrel, but still a healthy amount of barrel.

Casa Noble is great stuff, widely distributed and reasonably priced...their extra Anejo, imo rivals the 18 y/o scotch for the best liquor in my cabinet....worthy of a decanter.

If you end up liking agave, then I would suggest what I think are next level (more agave forward) tequilas.

Reactions: gob

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My personal favorite. ~ $70-$80.

8812424462366.png

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patron repo...huh.

I've had the Patron repo, and a couple of the Gran Patron aged, but not the Roca Patron repo....Roca...the ABV goes up slightly, probably smaller batches, and some different barrel treatment. An old school bartender told me when Patron was having Sieta Leguas produce their juice they were a much smaller company, everything was consistently good.

Now with a huge production and marketing budget to match, Patron thrives on premium distribution, and brand name. They still know how to make top shelf tequila (The Gran label grades out really well and it tastes good across the board) but their best stuff is just way over priced.

If you ever have a chance and want to try something probably better (certainly as good) for less money...look at the Casa Noble Reposado.

casa noble repo new bottle.jpg

This goes for $40

The single barrel repo is a little more potent for $65, but I would just move up to the Casa Noble Anejo for $50 before I would buy the single barrel.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Girl I just started seeing likes tequila shots... So I did a couple of Jose last night...ugh