• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tequila...not what you probably remember!

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talk about TOP SHELF!

I think it was the II, but I was at a really nice bar that had this...I wasn't in the mood to part with $40 for 2 oz glass, so to this day I haven't had any yet.
I put that and Pappy in the there is a fool born every minute catagory.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I put that and Pappy in the there is a fool born every minute catagory.

Oh...the old fool and his money...lol

Yeah...'that's some tall cotton', as my dad used to say.

I get it if you're in the front of the line (price wise) and maybe you can flip it in a few yrs and double your money or something...aside from that...I don't get it.

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh...the old fool and his money...lol

Yeah...'that's some tall cotton', as my dad used to say.

I get it if you're in the front of the line (price wise) and maybe you can flip it in a few yrs and double your money or something...aside from that...I don't get it.
It is insane what some people flip it for. The price gouging has gotten down to Weller the same people who distill Pappy. You literally cannot get Weller on the east coast and if you can mark up is ridiclous.
I got curious and looked up the tequila. Wine Enthusiast gave it a 93.

041318_best_cheap_tequila_slide_9_fs.max-784x410.jpg

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is insane what some people flip it for. The price gouging has gotten down to Weller the same people who distill Pappy. You literally cannot get Weller on the east coast and if you can mark up is ridiclous.
I got curious and looked up the tequila. Wine Enthusiast gave it a 93.

041318_best_cheap_tequila_slide_9_fs.max-784x410.jpg

The tequila reviews sites were a little more critical. Tequilamatchmaker.com site panel (media reviewers) gave it a 70 and the community (regular Joe users) gave it a 68 on tequilamatchmaker.com The blanco got a similar score. But several noted for the price, it's hard to beat. This site, Tequila.net, and a couple of others I use and they haven't led my astray yet.

The score tempered my expectations a little, but I'm a reposado fan. I saw last night that Tower liquors (near the office here) carries it, so for that price I will give it try.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I usually do the Pee Wee Herman dance when I drink Tequila.......

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The tequila reviews sites were a little more critical. Tequilamatchmaker.com site panel (media reviewers) gave it a 70 and the community (regular Joe users) gave it a 68 on tequilamatchmaker.com The blanco got a similar score. But several noted for the price, it's hard to beat. This site, Tequila.net, and a couple of others I use and they haven't led my astray yet.

The score tempered my expectations a little, but I'm a reposado fan. I saw last night that Tower liquors (near the office here) carries it, so for that price I will give it try.
Thanks. Boy that is a tough crowd. Looked at some other brands and there would be a 97 followed by a 55 or lower. Hard to believe that there is that much variance in testing.

I am a tequila newbie and learned about reposado from a neighbor who supervises a bridge construction crew basically made up of Mexicans. One had gone to Mexico and brought him back what he was told a very high dollar resosado. At that time I thought gold was as good as it gets. When I was at the ABC store they had the Lunazel for $16.99 and to my neighbors and I the taste was pretty similar.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. Boy that is a tough crowd. Looked at some other brands and there would be a 97 followed by a 55 or lower. Hard to believe that there is that much variance in testing.

I am a tequila newbie and learned about reposado from a neighbor who supervises a bridge construction crew basically made up of Mexicans. One had gone to Mexico and brought him back what he was told a very high dollar resosado. At that time I thought gold was as good as it gets. When I was at the ABC store they had the Lunazel for $16.99 and to my neighbors and I the taste was pretty similar.
If it was the "regular Joe" ratings, those definitely can swing pretty wildly, but generally the average lines up to what it "should" be. I see it in beer ratings on Untapped. There will be a 4* rated beer that has 5* reviews, and 3* reviews... Just up to the individual palate, and what they use as a grading scale.

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it was the "regular Joe" ratings, those definitely can swing pretty wildly, but generally the average lines up to what it "should" be. I see it in beer ratings on Untapped. There will be a 4* rated beer that has 5* reviews, and 3* reviews... Just up to the individual palate, and what they use as a grading scale.
LOL it is like movie reviews. For a long time if critics panned the movie I was in; great reviews I skipped. Has worked pretty good over the years.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm a relatively tequila newbie as well, but I really dove into the deep end of it. I've been to 3 or 4 tastings, several bars, and a good friend/golf buddy of mine is a tequila veteran so I've learned and tasted a lot in a short time.

Yeah, 97 followed by a 55 is pretty drastic swing. I like to use several review sites to get a larger sample. Then the average I've found to be pretty accurate. To date I've never bought a tequila rated in the 70s, most have been in the high 80s low 90s and they were pretty true. But, <$20 is worth a shot....pardon the pun...:suds: I'll get this as early as this week and let you know my thoughts.

In the interim, if ABC has any of these repos...I can personally attest for them as being good sippers.

Casa Noble...they like to age to the max, so more barrel influence with the oak, vanilla flavors, but still has nice agave flavor...reasonably priced, $40 / 750 ml...keeper. If were going to whip out a nice stogie to smoke with a reposado, it would be this one.

Ocho Tequila...they go the opposite on aging, so light it looks like a blanco, but a smooth sipper, just had some of this last night...a little pricey at $60 / 750 ml, but a keeper, will buy again.

Sieta Leguas...Tahona stone...the old school tequila making process. Very good, citrus, vanilla. Close between this one and Ocho for 2nd place...$48

Fortaleza (Los Abuelos in Mexico)...Also Tahona stone produced...the best reposado I've had...the reviewers nailed this one. $57. This is not the best tequila I have in the cabinet (Casa Noble extra anejo holds that title), but this might be my favorite tequila.

Don't get sucked in by Patron like I did...don't get me wrong, at the high end, they have some of the best tequilas on the market, but you pay so dearly for them that I just can't recommend them. The more moderately priced Patron...such as their $40 repo...pass.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get sucked in by Patron like I did...don't get me wrong, at the high end, they have some of the best tequilas on the market, but you pay so dearly for them that I just can't recommend them. The more moderately priced Patron...such as their $40 repo...pass.

Yep.

Patron to me is the Grey Goose of tequila.

If they could do half as good of a job at making tequila as they do marketing their tequila, they might have a great product.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

If they could do half as good of a job at making tequila as they do marketing their tequila, they might have a great product.

I'm also an audiohead so I call them the Bose of hifi! :D

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a relatively tequila newbie as well, but I really dove into the deep end of it. I've been to 3 or 4 tastings, several bars, and a good friend/golf buddy of mine is a tequila veteran so I've learned and tasted a lot in a short time.

Yeah, 97 followed by a 55 is pretty drastic swing. I like to use several review sites to get a larger sample. Then the average I've found to be pretty accurate. To date I've never bought a tequila rated in the 70s, most have been in the high 80s low 90s and they were pretty true. But, <$20 is worth a shot....pardon the pun...:suds: I'll get this as early as this week and let you know my thoughts.

In the interim, if ABC has any of these repos...I can personally attest for them as being good sippers.

Casa Noble...they like to age to the max, so more barrel influence with the oak, vanilla flavors, but still has nice agave flavor...reasonably priced, $40 / 750 ml...keeper. If were going to whip out a nice stogie to smoke with a reposado, it would be this one.

Ocho Tequila...they go the opposite on aging, so light it looks like a blanco, but a smooth sipper, just had some of this last night...a little pricey at $60 / 750 ml, but a keeper, will buy again.

Sieta Leguas...Tahona stone...the old school tequila making process. Very good, citrus, vanilla. Close between this one and Ocho for 2nd place...$48

Fortaleza (Los Abuelos in Mexico)...Also Tahona stone produced...the best reposado I've had...the reviewers nailed this one. $57. This is not the best tequila I have in the cabinet (Casa Noble extra anejo holds that title), but this might be my favorite tequila.

i am going to the CNM track this weekend in Bowling Green. I always make a run to the liquor store there as the prices are always a lot lower especially the bourbons. Will see what they have.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

You can get some really good tequila from Patron.

Gran Patron Piedra is some good stuff, but it's $300+ a bottle. I had it as a tasting compared to the Casa Noble extra anejo ($108 a bottle) and everyone at the tasting picked the Casa Noble...it was only 5 of us, but a blind taste and 5 for 5 chose the tequila selling for a 3rd of the price.

The problem is the stuff priced to sell is just not that good. So they do sell on distribution (they are everywhere, and normally the bartenders at your regular chain restaurant get good money for it) and obviously brand name.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can get some really good tequila from Patron.

Gran Patron Piedra is some good stuff, but it's $300+ a bottle. I had it as a tasting compared to the Casa Noble extra anejo ($108 a bottle) and everyone at the tasting picked the Casa Noble...it was only 5 of us, but a blind taste and 5 for 5 chose the tequila selling for a 3rd of the price.

The problem is the stuff priced to sell is just not that good. So they do sell on distribution (they are everywhere, and normally the bartenders at your regular chain restaurant get good money for it) and obviously brand name.

That was my point. Their shit is way over-priced and overrated - thanks to marketing. Hence the $300 price tag on a product that got it's ass kicked by a $100 product.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't do much of the high-end tequilas anymore, but dollar for dollar, I think it's damn hard to beat Milagro.

That's my day-to-day go-to.

If I'm making tacos for the kids, you better believe there's a shooter glass, a bowl of fleur de sel and a bottle of Milagro near by.