• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scotch Review

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to take this thread a different direction, but, why do some of you guys like drinking anything neat.. It just seems too hot and too strong for me..
To the 80% of you that call me a pussy, fuck you.. looking forward to hearing from the 20% :)

Good question.

I'm not the most experienced spirits drinker but I dove head first into the deep end the last 6 months, so consider me among the 20%.

I have no problem dropping an ice cube or a splash of water in a drink to calm it down. The 1st neat drink I had was a 25 y/o Mac scotch and although I sipped it as recommended, it went down like a cold beer on a hot summer day...zero alcohol burn. That was eye opening.

So...my response to your question...why neat? The simple answer is you don't want the flavor to be diluted. I'm guessing here, but you're likely starting with something too harsh.

A lot spirits (bourbon, scotch tequila, vodka, etc.) have spice heat, and the more potent stuff will have alcohol burn and they're not the same. When the two are combined it can be overwhelming. Spice heat typically stops at the back of the throat and subsides rather quickly. Alcohol burn follows the path, you feel it going down.

I chose the Glenfarclas 12 scotch as an everyday drinker and one especially good for a newbie because those final 2 yrs (the 1st 10 yrs are in American wht oak barrels) in the sherry barrels mellows out what starts out as their 10 yr scotch (a staple in Scotland I understand). Secondly, you won't break the bank.

Being a newbie breaking into spirits, from my experience it's best to start with the good stuff (typically an aged spirit)...unfortunately the good stuff is often more than a newbie feels comfortable paying.

You can get an easy to drink anejo tequila for $50-60...but an ultra smooth extra anejo for about $80-$100. A nice 12 yr Scotch (look for those with some sherry barrel time) for about $40-$60. The 18 yr old scotch takes smooth to another level, but most are going to be around $100 and up.

Bourbons are generally going to be fairly stout, many of them 50% of greater ABV. Stick with 40% ABV options and don't be afraid to drop an ice cube or two in there, and over time you'll get used to it.

Bama Believer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good question.

I'm not the most experienced spirits drinker but I dove head first into the deep end the last 6 months, so consider me among the 20%.

I have no problem dropping an ice cube or a splash of water in a drink to calm it down. The 1st neat drink I had was a 25 y/o Mac scotch and although I sipped it as recommended, it went down like a cold beer on a hot summer day...zero alcohol burn. That was eye opening.

So...my response to your question...why neat? The simple answer is you don't want the flavor to be diluted. I'm guessing here, but you're likely starting with something too harsh.

A lot spirits (bourbon, scotch tequila, vodka, etc.) have spice heat, and the more potent stuff will have alcohol burn and they're not the same. When the two are combined it can be overwhelming. Spice heat typically stops at the back of the throat and subsides rather quickly. Alcohol burn follows the path, you feel it going down.

I chose the Glenfarclas 12 scotch as an everyday drinker and one especially good for a newbie because those final 2 yrs (the 1st 10 yrs are in American wht oak barrels) in the sherry barrels mellows out what starts out as their 10 yr scotch (a staple in Scotland I understand). Secondly, you won't break the bank.

Being a newbie breaking into spirits, from my experience it's best to start with the good stuff (typically an aged spirit)...unfortunately the good stuff is often more than a newbie feels comfortable paying.

You can get an easy to drink anejo tequila for $50-60...but an ultra smooth extra anejo for about $80-$100. A nice 12 yr Scotch (look for those with some sherry barrel time) for about $40-$60. The 18 yr old scotch takes smooth to another level, but most are going to be around $100 and up.

Bourbons are generally going to be fairly stout, many of them 50% of greater ABV. Stick with 40% ABV options and don't be afraid to drop an ice cube or two in there, and over time you'll get used to it.
Thank you very much for your reply, I have been a bourbon drinker for a long time, my father enjoyed bourbon and I somehow feel closer to him when I have a good stout drink.
That said, I prefer Gentleman Jack with water or sometimes diet coke.. but I know that is frowned upon by the purist of the world.. Not that I care too much,, I like what I like.. but sometimes I feel like i'm missing something due to the number of people who do drink neat and experience the tones..

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you very much for your reply, I have been a bourbon drinker for a long time, my father enjoyed bourbon and I somehow feel closer to him when I have a good stout drink.
That said, I prefer Gentleman Jack with water or sometimes diet coke.. but I know that is frowned upon by the purist of the world.. Not that I care too much,, I like what I like.. but sometimes I feel like i'm missing something due to the number of people who do drink neat and experience the tones..
I don't think you'll have any bourbon "purists" going at you if you make a jack and coke. However, if you start mixing Blanton's with coke, you'll get some slack. There isn't much taste difference there, but there's $20 difference.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There you go...no worries!

Jack (no 7) has some serious heat for a 40% er….I'm still nursing a bottle of Knob Hill small batch...stiff! Two ice cubes for me, but once it melts, tames it nicely.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you'll have any bourbon "purists" going at you if you make a jack and coke. However, if you start mixing Blanton's with coke, you'll get some slack. There isn't much taste difference there, but there's $20 difference.

The Blanton bottle alone is worth collecting!

Reactions: gob

TechRaiderRider

Wreck Em!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in addition to the glenlivet 12
and the glenfarcias 12,
y'all may want to try the
balvenie double wood 12 -
similar price range
with a nice peat smoke -
(neat, of course)

cheers!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Haven't opened it yet, but I bought a bourbon recently. I was a little gun shy of the barrel strength (damn near 60% ABV) so I settled on this one. I've had this at a bar, so I'm a little more familiar...thought this might be a good starting point for the American classic spirit.

4 roses single.jpg

Will keep you posted.

Reactions: gob

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't opened it yet, but I bought a bourbon recently. I was a little gun shy of the barrel strength (damn near 60% ABV) so I settled on this one. I've had this at a bar, so I'm a little more familiar...thought this might be a good starting point for the American classic spirit.

View attachment 199978

Will keep you posted.
Very solid one. It's one of my "go-to" bourbons.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 199978

Will keep you posted.

That’s not a barrel strength. It is one of the very best out there. You will not regret that one.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gave up all booze on New Years Day 1970 but My wife likes Bourbon and Ikeep a pretty well heeled liquor cabinet. The New Hampshire Liquor Store have really upgraded their stock. You can but the old standards like Seagrams and canadian Club but they have the rarer $75-$150 bottles of really good stuff.

They refused to carry the fake bourbons that started to come out a few years ago. Stupid people do stupid things like trying to call 'bourbon' brewed in Limington Maine a Maine Bourbon. They got sued and went out of business. Bourbon can only be called bourbon if it's made from a source of certain water in Kentucky, otherwise it isn't bourbon. I would say that might be true if your scotch doesn't come from Scotland.

I might jump off the wagon and try Laphroaig. Just one ounce over a cube of Sebago ice.

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good question.

I’m sorry but you are wrong. The best way to enjoy a fine Scotch is with 1 drop of filtered water. The drop of water chemically acts as an oxidizer and opens up the flavors, just like when you let a bottle of wine to breathe.

But you never, ever add ice as a chilled Scotch dulls the flavors.

What happens when you add water or ice to whisky or whiskey - whiskyforeveryone.com

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m sorry but you are wrong. The best way to enjoy a fine Scotch is with 1 drop of filtered water. The drop of water chemically acts as an oxidizer and opens up the flavors, just like when you let a bottle of wine to breathe.

But you never, ever add ice as a chilled Scotch dulls the flavors.

What happens when you add water or ice to whisky or whiskey - whiskyforeveryone.com

No need to be sorry, admitted novice here. Thanks for the post...the better the info, the better the drinking experience.

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No need to be sorry, admitted novice here. Thanks for the post...the better the info, the better the drinking experience.

Before I tried it the first time I swore that I would never ruin a good whisky or scotch with ice. Thankfully my favorite restaurant has a fantastic bartender and he suggested it one night and it was like night and day. Try your favorite spirit with and without the drop of water and you will be amazed at the difference and all of the subtle notes that come out.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gave up all booze on New Years Day 1970 but My wife likes Bourbon and Ikeep a pretty well heeled liquor cabinet. The New Hampshire Liquor Store have really upgraded their stock. You can but the old standards like Seagrams and canadian Club but they have the rarer $75-$150 bottles of really good stuff.

They refused to carry the fake bourbons that started to come out a few years ago. Stupid people do stupid things like trying to call 'bourbon' brewed in Limington Maine a Maine Bourbon. They got sued and went out of business. Bourbon can only be called bourbon if it's made from a source of certain water in Kentucky, otherwise it isn't bourbon. I would say that might be true if your scotch doesn't come from Scotland.

I might jump off the wagon and try Laphroaig. Just one ounce over a cube of Sebago ice.
Sorry, but this is wrong. You can make bourbon outside of Kentucky. There are guidelines that need to be met (over 50% corn, and restrictions on proof during the distillation and barrel process), but you can make bourbon in Maine.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Approximately $100 at the store ... $72 at the Duty Free. My Scotch when I need something special.

glenfiddich-18-year-scotch-28.jpg

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but this is wrong. You can make bourbon outside of Kentucky. There are guidelines that need to be met (over 50% corn, and restrictions on proof during the distillation and barrel process), but you can make bourbon in Maine.

Correct but it’s blasphemy and I won’t drink it. Straight Kentucky bourbon whiskey can only be made in Kentucky though.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's just not real bourbon, if you know what I mean. Like clam chowder from Kentucky or fresh Kentucky Lobstah.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just not real bourbon, if you know what I mean. Like clam chowder from Kentucky or fresh Kentucky Lobstah.
I like bourbon, but I'm not a bourbon snob. There are some good bourbons from states other than Kentucky

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before I tried it the first time I swore that I would never ruin a good whisky or scotch with ice. Thankfully my favorite restaurant has a fantastic bartender and he suggested it one night and it was like night and day. Try your favorite spirit with and without the drop of water and you will be amazed at the difference and all of the subtle notes that come out.

Noted...my favorite lunch spot bartender has a special water dropping device. I'm normally not drinking during lunch so I've never thought to ask him why he had such a device.

Ruin...kinda threw me off a bit I must say. I think personal preference has to weigh in on some level.

Quick analogy…not to pat myself on the back, but I’ve gotten pretty good at cooking a good quality steak. I’ve got one of the better food thermometers and normally can dial it in to within a couple degrees of how one might like it. I’m a 140-150 degree guy (med for filet, med. well for most other cuts)…my wife won’t eat any red meat not cooked all the way through (170 degrees)…to me that steak is ruined, may as well be eating leather, but for her it’s perfect.

So if someone dropped an ice cube into a really nice glass of whiskey, they drank and enjoyed it…was it ruined?