• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scotch Review

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't sure where to put this...Maybe there will be a fine spirits thread one day.

Anyway...A few months ago I was at a friends after a round of golf and had a really good scotch...way above my pricerange, but it sparked an interest in fine spirits. As as result I've started building a liquor cabinet since I don't have room for a real bar. One top shelf and one good quality every day drinker if you so choose.

That special drink I had was scotch (Macallan 25 yr, I'l let you research the price...), so I started with scotch.

I consider both of these to be keepers so I'm doing a double review.

Top Shelf

Glenmorangie 18 yr

top shelf.jpg

$80-$100...This is a really good Scotch....as you can tell it barely hung on for the pic!....lol I shared this one a lot and to a man...smooth, but a real man's scotch...some spice but no alcohol burn. Neat worthy, worthy of a decanter. The Macallan I had cost 10x more, better, but not 10x better.

top shelf.jpg scotch3.jpg

Not everyone has this in stock in metro ATL, but it's fairly available to wear an extremely rarely label, but I bought another bottle to hold back.

Everyday Scotch.

Glenfarclas12 yr...$35-$40

glenfarclas12.jpg

I spent a lot of time in this price range because there is a lot of competition in the $30-$50 price range. I settled on this 12 yr sherry finished scotch that's reasonably affordable and deemed high quality by many of the reviewing sites. Known for their 10 yr, but this one is aged in American white oak for 10 yrs and finished 2 yrs in sherry barrels.

43% alcohol so it's a little stiff, no alcohol burn but some spice heat at the end...with a single cube of ice, it smooths out very nicely. They say it's a good beginner's scotch and I can see why they say that, but it's got some heart.

I'm going with these two for now in Scotch, and have started focusing on Tequila next. glenfarclas12.jpg

I'm having some fun with this!

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just recently got into scotches after a friend was super into it. Already have a cabinet with a good variety, but my daily drink is a Glenlivet 12. My most expensive bottle is a High Park Ragnovald that I bought in England at the airport on my way back from the Seahawks London game. Can't remember the exact price but think it was somewhere in the $350 range. Came in a nice wooden box and can't find any pricing online for it.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't sure where to put this...Maybe there will be a fine spirits thread one day.

Anyway...A few months ago I was at a friends after a round of golf and had a really good scotch...way above my pricerange, but it sparked an interest in fine spirits. As as result I've started building a liquor cabinet since I don't have room for a real bar. One top shelf and one good quality every day drinker if you so choose.

That special drink I had was scotch (Macallan 25 yr, I'l let you research the price...), so I started with scotch.

Top Shelf

Glenmorangie 18 yr

View attachment 198472

$80-$100...This is a really good Scotch....as you can tell it barely hung on for the pic!....lol I shared this one a lot and to a man...smooth, but a real man's scotch...some spice but no alcohol burn. Neat worthy, worthy of a decanter. The Macallan I had cost 10x more, better, but not 10x better.

View attachment 198472 View attachment 198473

Not everyone has this in stock in metro ATL, but it's fairly available to wear an extremely rarely label, but I bought another bottle to hold back.

Everyday Scotch.

View attachment 198474

I spent a lot of time in this price range because there is a lot of competition in the $30-$50 price range. I settled on this 12 yr sherry finished scotch that's reasonably affordable and deemed high quality by many of the reviewing sites. Known for their 10 yr, but this one is aged in American white oak for 10 yrs and finished 2 yrs in sherry barrels.

43% alcohol so it's a little stiff, no alcohol burn but some spice heat at the end...with a single cube of ice, it smooths out very nicely. They say it's a good beginner's scotch and I can see why they say that, but it's got some heart.

I'm going with these two for now in Scotch, and have started focusing on Tequila next. View attachment 198474

I'll definitely keep an aye out for those scotches and let you know what I think. By no means do I have a sophisticated palate, but I do love getting drunk. :suds:

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just recently got into scotches after a friend was super into it. Already have a cabinet with a good variety, but my daily drink is a Glenlivet 12. My most expensive bottle is a High Park Ragnovald that I bought in England at the airport on my way back from the Seahawks London game. Can't remember the exact price but think it was somewhere in the $350 range. Came in a nice wooden box and can't find any pricing online for it.

Look for this if you can. Really you can't go wrong with any version of Laphroaig.

laphroaig-10yo-1-litre.jpg

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look for this if you can. Really you can't go wrong with any version of Laphroaig.

laphroaig-10yo-1-litre.jpg

I've only had this at a bar.

Stout, rougher around the edges compared to the Glenfarclas 10 yr...I would drop a cube of ice (or two) in this one...even at 43% abv vs 40%, to be expected I suppose, but the Glenfarclas 12 yr is a smoother drink I think.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're in good hands with Glenlivet 12...I've had some ridiculously pricey McCallan 25yr (roughly $2k a bottle I hear), but I'm finding the 18 yr Glenmorangie is plenty good enough for me. The McCallan 18 yr is going for $250 and it's not that much better if at all, but McCallan has the brand name to demand it.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Top Shelf

Glenmorangie 18 yr

View attachment 198472

View attachment 198472 View attachment 198473

Everyday Scotch.

View attachment 198474

I'm going with these two for now in Scotch, and have started focusing on Tequila next. View attachment 198474

wait...that Macallan was 10X more expensive??? sooo….$800-$1000 a bottle?! WHOOOLLY SHIT!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wait...that Macallan was 10X more expensive??? sooo….$800-$1000 a bottle?! WHOOOLLY SHIT!

I didn't pay it and he said he paid about $400 for it Jamaica.

But at Totalwine (one of the larger LQ stores here)

Macallan 25 Yr

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's nothing when you got fuck you money

That I don't have to drink up.

When I was in real estate sales, the owner of one of the building companies I sold for threw a party at his home once, and we got to go...really nice mansion.

In his library/office was a bottle of Pappy.

That's fuck you money.

Reactions: gob

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$1700 for booze??!!?!

I'm comin' to join ya, 'Lizabeth!!
giphy.gif

lol...me too Elizabeth!! He said it was going for $500 duty free, supposedly him and another guy both got a bottle and they sold it for $400 ea

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's nothing when you got fuck you money

weird. i suppose i don't quite have "fuck you" money, but i still have no issues telling "fuck you" to whomever i want.

Bama Believer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to take this thread a different direction, but, why do some of you guys like drinking anything neat.. It just seems too hot and too strong for me..
To the 80% of you that call me a pussy, fuck you.. looking forward to hearing from the 20% :)

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to take this thread a different direction, but, why do some of you guys like drinking anything neat.. It just seems too hot and too strong for me..
To the 80% of you that call me a pussy, fuck you.. looking forward to hearing from the 20% :)

Beg your pardon, but by any chance, would you happen to be in possession of "fuck you" money? If so, hi, I'm obj81, I'd like to be your friend...

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beg your pardon, but by any chance, would you happen to be in possession of "fuck you" money? If so, hi, I'm obj81, I'd like to be your friend...
Fuck you

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pussy

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My go to is Mac 12 and would never add water to it.....