• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tequila...not what you probably remember!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tequila has a lot going on compared to Scotch....there are 4 recognized aged classes, you have 100%, agave, 51% agave (mixto) and both are considered Tequila, then Mexcal....quite a bit to absorb.

If you're like me and know next to nothing about Tequila...you might gain something from this read. To save time, I uploaded a pdf...it covers some of the basics about Tequila...It's come a long way from the salt, lime shot days of Tequila.

What I've spent a lot more time on is sampling Tequila.

The other pdf is a review of a two Extra Anejo Tequilas.

Attachments

• Tequila3.0.pdf
    133 KB · Views: 2
  • EXTRA ANEJO TEQUILA FACEOFF3-1.pdf
    205 KB · Views: 2

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TEQUILA – REPOSADO REVIEW

FORTALEZA REPOSADO

For the past 6 weeks or so, most of my liquor consumption has been Tequila. I posted a review of the Extra Anejo recently and I’ve pretty much settled on Casa Noble’s EA as my top shelf tequila. Now I’m moving on to the Reposado category.

If you read my Tequila3.0 post, you probably know Anejo is the next longest aged class. I’m skipping over that class for now and going to what I think is the middle ground between agave and barrel.

Reposados (means rest in Spanish) are aged from 2 mos to 364 days. This class represents the best of both flavors, and if done well they cast the widest net of all the tequila ages classes imo. While I consider EAs the premium sipping tequilas, it’s probably not a daily sipper due to cost. Reposados can range from $30 to $150+, but the bulk of the prices fall between $40-$60. Reposados are daily sippers, not as much oak as Anejo or Extra Anejo. Of everything I have now, I find myself reaching for Reposado most often. They are 40% abv, but lighter, and more versatile than the more aged Tequilas. You can drink this with a meal, after a meal.

I’ve had half a dozen repos and feel I can fairly judge the class.

Here we go.

fort repo.jpg
NOM: 1493

Agave: 100% blue agave, lowlands - central

ABV: 40%

Aged: 7 months in American ex- bourbon barrels (interior previously chipped out)

Price: $57 / 750 ml

Fortaleza is the U.S. brand name. The same product is sold in Mexico under the brand name Los Abuelos. This company is headed up by Don Guillermo Sauza, a five generation tequila making family. The Sauza family has been making tequila for 150 plus years. In 1976 his grandfather sold off the Sauza brand, but he kept one ranch/distillery. This distillery sat dormant for many years. In 2005 Los Abuelos/Fortaleza was born.

They are one of the few companies that hold to the century old methods of making tequila. They use only estate grown blue agave, private water source from the estate, and still use the Tahona stone to extract the juice from the agave. As part of my research, I watched a youtube documentary of Guillermo Sauza. One question that was asked…with the new modern equipment available to make production easier why do you still produce your tequila in this much slower, labor intensive manner? I’m paraphrasing his response, but he said, we’ve had tequila made with the new equipment and we’ve had tequila made from the old methods and its simple…we think it tastes better. Water, yeast, blue agave, no additives. When I started this distillery back up, my goal what to bring to market the best tequila this land can provide.

I was already leaning towards buying this with all the glowing user and media reviews, but I was sold after seeing that documentary! I looked around my local liquor stores to no avail. None of them had even heard of Fortaleza, but a trip to one of the larger liquor stores (Tower liquor) I found it and bought a bottle of the blanco and the reposado.

Prior to this bottle, I’d already had repos from Clase Azul ($100), Casa Noble ($48), Epsolon ($30), Don Julio ($48) and have since compared it several others including two other highly rated repos (Ocho Tequila, and Siete Leguas). Needless to say, my expectations were pretty high.

I can tell you it did not disappoint! If I were going to introduce tequila to a friend that's never drank tequila or only remember the salt, lime, shot days of tequila...I would probably buy a bottle of Clase Azul repo or open up a bottle of the Casa Noble Extra Anejo. If a tequila drinking friend was over, I would quickly grab this Fortaleza repo and would feel very comfortable that it would deliver a great drinking experience for the evening...it's that good.

Nose…agave, citrus (lemon/lime), vanilla

Taste…agave, citrus, I pick up more of the barrel on the palate, mostly vanilla, some nice spice heat that dissipates at the back of the throat, really nice smooth finish. You’re ready for another sip fairly quickly.

It has no weakness imo, agave forward on the nose and taste, but you also taste the barrel effect. If there is such a thing as a perfect balance in a repo…this is it. Just bought my 3rd bottle since January!

5 of 5…highly recommended!

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still remember the old days of tequila so I have a hard time with even the idea of sipping tequila. But I had long been convinced that there isn't a better drink out there to relax with than a good margarita. That was until I learned about Mexcal.

I fucking love Mazcal now. I have my parents pick me up a bottle of Montelobos every year when they come home from Florida, because for some reason they can't carry it here. I don't speak Spanish so I never remember if its Jardin or Joven that I like, and every year my old parents ask which one. I just tell them to get me the more expensive one. I think its 39.99 vs 29.99 but even the cheaper on is pretty good.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
c5bc660aed3318a9b68b42e886b2cdb0.jpg

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still remember the old days of tequila so I have a hard time with even the idea of sipping tequila. But I had long been convinced that there isn't a better drink out there to relax with than a good margarita. That was until I learned about Mexcal.

I fucking love Mazcal now. I have my parents pick me up a bottle of Montelobos every year when they come home from Florida, because for some reason they can't carry it here. I don't speak Spanish so I never remember if its Jardin or Joven that I like, and every year my old parents ask which one. I just tell them to get me the more expensive one. I think its 39.99 vs 29.99 but even the cheaper on is pretty good.

I was the same way, in fact probably most of us remember the old days of tequila. But, you're missing out!

There are some pretty good Mexcals out there. I've had a couple recently at a tasting I paid $10 bucks to attend, but I don't anticipate buying any...just too many really good 100% agave sippers out there. My buddy and I downed about 3/4 of a 750ml bottle of Fortaleza straight one night and zero hangover the next day. That convinced me.

Last edited:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This you introduce to a newbie and they will rediscover tequila all over again!

Expensive, but good stuff! I'm not sure why the prices are so high here. $120-140...We're heading out to Cali next month...$80 out there...still pricey, but I plan on bringing a bottle back.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This you introduce to a newbie and they will rediscover tequila all over again!

Expensive, but good stuff! I'm not sure why the prices are so high here. $120-140...We're heading out to Cali next month...$80 out there...still pricey, but I plan on bringing a bottle back.

I quit drinking again last January (2018). But when I was drinking that was by far my favorite tequila. I was paying $110 a bottle then. Have no idea what it costs now.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I quit drinking again last January (2018). But when I was drinking that was by far my favorite tequila. I was paying $110 a bottle then. Have no idea what it costs now.

Well...good you have it under control.

$110 would be a good price today in ATL for sure. I see it out west for under $100 so maybe distributor markup.

1942 is very good, but I wouldn't drink it everyday...a tad on the sweet side for anejo...interesting that Don Julio makes another anejo that is not the 1942.

Fortaleza anejo is what I'm looking forward to try...he's nailed the blanco and reposado imo so I can only imagine that his anejo will be good as well.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...good you have it under control.

$110 would be a good price today in ATL for sure. I see it out west for under $100 so maybe distributor markup.

1942 is very good, but I wouldn't drink it everyday...a tad on the sweet side for anejo...interesting that Don Julio makes another anejo that is not the 1942.

Fortaleza anejo is what I'm looking forward to try...he's nailed the blanco and reposado imo so I can only imagine that his anejo will be good as well.

When I was drinking tequila a 5th lasted me 6 or 7 months. Nothing I drank all the time. Stuff like that is meant to be enjoyed. Not to be consumed excessively.

One funny thing that happened years ago. I had got back from hiking @ El Dorado Canyon & there's my wife, her sister & a few friends getting ready to use my Don Julio 1942 in a margarita. I asked what the hell they were doing. Took my bottle from them & went to the beer mart & got them a 5th of something much cheaper. Think it was Jose Cuervo.

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My buds and me use this stuff when we salute something and of course you have to throw the glasses and bottle in the fireplace when you are through saluting.

Patron_en_lalique_serie_2.7d4e2cec61b242aca49171a554e91cff.jpg

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two types of tequila that nobody should ever drink. Just nasty.

download122222222.jpg

EL TORO GOLD TEQUILA 750ML.jpg

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My buds and me use this stuff when we salute something and of course you have to throw the glasses and bottle in the fireplace when you are through saluting.

That tequila looks tasty.

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That tequila looks tasty.
It is especially when you bubble the bottle.:D

The other day I bought some Reposados at the ABC store here in Alabama that was around $16 a fifth and is really good. Do not recall the name as the bottle is at home. Will post tomorrow.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The other day I bought some Reposados at the ABC store here in Alabama that was around $16 a fifth and is really good. Do not recall the name as the bottle is at home. Will post tomorrow.

Stop it. You're making want some tequila!:heh:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Talk about TOP SHELF!

I think it was the II, but I was at a really nice bar that had this...I wasn't in the mood to part with $40 for 2 oz glass, so to this day I haven't had any yet.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two types of tequila that nobody should ever drink. Just nasty.

View attachment 200089

View attachment 200090

There's a list online somewhere...top 10 tequilas to avoid! It's a pretty good read.

Jose Cuervo made a ton of money selling rot gut tequila, and most of their stuff I still would touch today, but with the growth of high end tequila they step up with an extra anejo that well respected.

cuervo_reserva_bottle.png

I wouldn't buy it, but I've had this in a tasting.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A good repo for under $20! Very cool.

Muchote was going for about $25 and that was damn good, but near impossible to find.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a list online somewhere...top 10 tequilas to avoid! It's a pretty good read.

Jose Cuervo made a ton of money selling rot gut tequila, and most of their stuff I still would touch today, but with the growth of high end tequila they step up with an extra anejo that well respected.

cuervo_reserva_bottle.png

I wouldn't buy it, but I've had this in a tasting.

That doesn't look like the Jose I remember. Good they made a better product.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That doesn't look like the Jose I remember. Good they made a better product.

Not priced like it either...that stuff is north of $100 / 750 ml.

JC still floods the Mexcal market and dominates the shelf in bars for tequila...their distribution is probably even better than Patron...Patron just focused on the mid and high end. Most of Patron is over priced imo, but they have the brand name so I guess I can't blame them.

Casa Noble is second my favorite tequila brand behind Fortaleza...I have the blanco, reposado, anejo and extra anejo...all are good. To me blancos are still best for mixing, but better blancos make better margaritas. I would put their extra up against pretty much any tequila (it's better than 1942)

Carlos Santana recently bought into Casa Noble.