• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scotch Review

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just not real bourbon, if you know what I mean. Like clam chowder from Kentucky or fresh Kentucky Lobstah.

There as a lot of companies (particularly newer companies) that have set up in KY (bottling) and market KY Bourbon, but they source the juice from a major master distiller based in IND, MGP. So...there are many whiskeys that were actually distilled in IND, but bottled in KY and marketed as KY bourbon.

The honest ones will note on the bottle distilled in IND.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Approximately $100 at the store ... $72 at the Duty Free. My Scotch when I need something special.

glenfiddich-18-year-scotch-28.jpg

There are about four or five 18 y/o single malts I've had to date...I would still put Glenmorangie 18 yr at the top of my list, but all have been a pleasure to drink thus far.

Really liking that duty-free price you got as well.

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Noted...my favorite lunch spot bartender has a special water dropping device. I'm normally not drinking during lunch so I've never thought to ask him why he had such a device.

Ruin...kinda threw me off a bit I must say. I think personal preference has to weigh in on some level.

Quick analogy…not to pat myself on the back, but I’ve gotten pretty good at cooking a good quality steak. I’ve got one of the better food thermometers and normally can dial it in to within a couple degrees of how one might like it. I’m a 140-150 degree guy (med for filet, med. well for most other cuts)…my wife won’t eat any red meat not cooked all the way through (170 degrees)…to me that steak is ruined, may as well be eating leather, but for her it’s perfect.

So if someone dropped an ice cube into a really nice glass of whiskey, they drank and enjoyed it…was it ruined?
It is absolutely ruined. Why would you pay $40, $50, $60 for a high end glass of whiskey just to mask the flavors of it? If you want a cold whiskey then get a glass of the cheap stuff.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is absolutely ruined. Why would you pay $40, $50, $60 for a high end glass of whiskey just to mask the flavors of it? If you want a cold whiskey then get a glass of the cheap stuff.
In your opinion it was ruined...I gave you that...but when you suggest it's ruined for the next guy...idk about that...if they like good whiskey cold, it's their money...far from me to tell them it's ruined.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In your opinion it was ruined...I gave you that...but when you suggest it's ruined for the next guy...idk about that...if they like good whiskey cold, it's their money...far from me to tell them it's ruined.
Way late to this thread, but I am with you on this. A good scotch is what you enjoy, claiming that you doing something ruins it is a snob way of looking at it. I personally don't add ice to scotch because I don't care for it, but a drop or 2 of water can completely change it and can be fantastic.

Long story short, if you enjoy your drink the way you have it, it is not ruined.