• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tennessee/Virginia Tech at Bristol Motor Speedway?

tech_iceman

#winning
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the attendance record for Indianapolis Motor Speedway is 400,000 :wtf:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It worries me that someone as smart as you knows the names of the people on that show.

Guess everyone needs to dumb down occasionally to decompress.

I actually loathe the show and use it as an example of what is wrong with "media driven documentary shows" as a whole. Monsterquest was great. Finding Bigfoot is the worst example of the opposite.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually loathe the show and use it as an example of what is wrong with "media driven documentary shows" as a whole. Monsterquest was great. Finding Bigfoot is the worst example of the opposite.

Obviously you havent seen Honey Boo Boo or some of those ghost hunter shows on Sci fi

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a 2.5 mile oval (5 times longer around than Bristol). From the majority of the seats, you can't see the entire track.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough to see the details so it was hard to cut out, but Lane Stadium would fit something like this:

CQxxZOc.jpg

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said off campus, not me.

Also why do you keep saying "redneck logic."

I am from Fairfax, VA and Mamba is from Oregon. Also, do you have an issue with southerners? I think they are some great people. Is it Orange snobbery or Buffalo snobbery that drives the dislike.

Hell, everybody knows Fairfax is Hillbilly Central, nothin' but trailers and white trash far as the eye can see. ;), and we all know Mamba lives in a cave in the woods. :whistle:

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont doubt the squatch. They be out here.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will await your response on where i have ever said this.

What i have stated is this will be a unique event that will draw a record breaking crowd.

I have said it could bring in a full capacity,but I dont think it will happen.

I have also said that both teams travel well and they should come out in large numbers, but other people will go for the fact it will be a one time event that is unique in the sport.

I have also said that Bruton Smith is a master promoter and will work angles to fill as many seats as humanly possible.

I will wait on you to show me where I stated what you said. Clock is ticking.....

What i have stated is this will be a unique event that will draw a record breaking crowd.
-yeah but if its not 160k it looks really bad on TV. if its not 116k then its nothing but a glorified ooc neutral site game. considering how bad the views are gonna be, at some point being present for breaking an attendance record just isnt worth it. from my times at psu & michigan....those stadiums are awesome when they are packed. you are close to the field and close to the crowds.......this.....this is shit. its as bad as a game experience as it gets.

I have also said that both teams travel well and they should come out in large numbers, but other people will go for the fact it will be a one time event that is unique in the sport.
im sorry but tenn & vtech are not what i think of when i name 10 solid fanbases. is this a joke? for something thats supposed to be so historic & so unprecedented.....do you really think thats the two teams they really wanted for it? come on man....

I have also said that Bruton Smith is a master promoter and will work angles to fill as many seats as humanly possible.
this is not the first time ive heard this idea, it has been proposed. if your boy bruton really got his way, hed have a matchup along the lines of bama texas, ohio state-florida. the teams selected were obviously not their first choice and considering this idea has been thrown around for years, its pretty obvious this was something not a lot of schools were going for.

im sure your boy is a great promoter, but getting people to go inside the stadium is gonna be a daunting task. me personally, seats that are that bad....unless im a vol or hokie im not gonna do it. its gonna be the worst FB game ive ever attended if i have to watch the game entirely through binoculars. they could get a million people to come to the stadium and enjoy the "pickup truck hot tubs" which im sure will have some pretty cool stuff. but the real task is getting them to go inside and stay. whats the appeal to watch the game for a non fan? i honestly dont see it. at this point smith is gonna have nothing more than a glorified tailgate on his hands.

i think everyones underestimating the logistical issues of this. as a syracuse fan i know firsthand. they had a half-field 52k game all but locked up to be played only to run into too many logistical issues. they couldnt figure out how to move a basketball court from the endzone to the 50 yard line. do you have any idea how hard this is gonna be then? they have comment on where the field is. translation==> we dont have a fucken clue. there are issue's with the concrete, a giant scoreboard in the way, & garages just to name a few problems that they will be facing. im not only willing to bet on its attendance being sub par, but i still have serious doubts that this game will even be played at bristol. ive witnessed this myself with how many times syracuse fans have been promised a half court game.

the going trend among sports is shifting AWAY from these types of events. in CBB the NCAA just passed a ban on domes & football fields except during the final four. the air craft carrier games are being phased out. in CFF all these high profile ooc matchups seem to get canceled as often as they actually get played and has anyone seen the average bowl attendance lately?

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God Bless America.

i so want to be a part of this. Especially after tailgating with the Vols folks. And i have always drawn comparisons to VATech as an Oregon fan. not style of play. i just do.

want to go

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-yeah but if its not 160k it looks really bad on TV. if its not 116k then its nothing but a glorified ooc neutral site game. considering how bad the views are gonna be, at some point being present for breaking an attendance record just isnt worth it. from my times at psu & michigan....those stadiums are awesome when they are packed. you are close to the field and close to the crowds.......this.....this is shit. its as bad as a game experience as it gets.

im sorry but tenn & vtech are not what i think of when i name 10 solid fanbases. is this a joke? for something thats supposed to be so historic & so unprecedented.....do you really think thats the two teams they really wanted for it? come on man....

this is not the first time ive heard this idea, it has been proposed. if your boy bruton really got his way, hed have a matchup along the lines of bama texas, ohio state-florida. the teams selected were obviously not their first choice and considering this idea has been thrown around for years, its pretty obvious this was something not a lot of schools were going for.

im sure your boy is a great promoter, but getting people to go inside the stadium is gonna be a daunting task. me personally, seats that are that bad....unless im a vol or hokie im not gonna do it. its gonna be the worst FB game ive ever attended if i have to watch the game entirely through binoculars. they could get a million people to come to the stadium and enjoy the "pickup truck hot tubs" which im sure will have some pretty cool stuff. but the real task is getting them to go inside and stay. whats the appeal to watch the game for a non fan? i honestly dont see it. at this point smith is gonna have nothing more than a glorified tailgate on his hands.

i think everyones underestimating the logistical issues of this. as a syracuse fan i know firsthand. they had a half-field 52k game all but locked up to be played only to run into too many logistical issues. they couldnt figure out how to move a basketball court from the endzone to the 50 yard line. do you have any idea how hard this is gonna be then? they have comment on where the field is. translation==> we dont have a fucken clue. there are issue's with the concrete, a giant scoreboard in the way, & garages just to name a few problems that they will be facing. im not only willing to bet on its attendance being sub par, but i still have serious doubts that this game will even be played at bristol. ive witnessed this myself with how many times syracuse fans have been promised a half court game.

the going trend among sports is shifting AWAY from these types of events. in CBB the NCAA just passed a ban on domes & football fields except during the final four. the air craft carrier games are being phased out. in CFF all these high profile ooc matchups seem to get canceled as often as they actually get played and has anyone seen the average bowl attendance lately?

hvwe28.jpg.gif

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed - this John kid seems to be a bit of a toolbag. It is quite obvious the owners of the Bristol Speedway want this because this is the second request (almost a decade after the first) by the owner for Tenn and VT to play. Because this game is in Bristol (again this kid seems geographically challenged) it will be no issue to have both fan bases fill up the stands with 166k people. The tailgating alone will be epic. I am fucking in.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Point 1. If it beats the record for most attendance, then it was successful in what it was aiming for. they are not out to fill every seat, just have a unique game experience in a different venue.

Point 2, your opinion of who would be a better fit for this game is of no consequence and not a factual point that can be used. Who travels well is a relevant point and one that really isnt needed based on the close proximity to the two schools. Both schools travel, play it and they will come.

Point 3. The logistical parts of this is what makes this a fun challenge for Bruton and his staff, but its not out of the realm of possibility to do or he would not be on board. Like I stated before, he sold an NHRA race at a track that wasnt even approved for building yet or ground even broken yet. He got the track approved, built and the race went off without a hitch, he is a can do person. The teams are close, the fanbases travel, the atmosphere is perfect for a one off event of this nature. I have been to this track on more than one occasion and can say for a race their is not a bad seat in the house, for a football game it may be different, but to be a part of that one night will be nothing short of history making.

And I know of several people on here that have already said they will be there when it happens, imagine the many thousands more that are ripe for this event to go off without a hitch. Guess you are in the minority(on here atleast)

Last edited by a moderator:

UTVolCountry

(>',')> Laser_Mike_89
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The view might not be all that great, but who cares? A lot of people will be excited just to be in the stadium.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to be tough to hear the play call with the cars going around the track.

I jest...

It will be awesome.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
your opinion of who would be a better fit for this game is of no consequence and not a factual point that can be used.

i think thats code for: i cant make a solid rebuttal to that.

i dunno dude. at this point in time its too much of a stretch for me to believe. the biggest issue is that they dont have a clue where to put the field. thats a pretty big problem. for syracuse the biggest problem came down to not enough cable outlets for the camera's. there are logistical issue's that seem so trivial but can have huge impacts & need to be worked out.

you keep mentioning how this is gonna be history with the attendance however all the ncaa attendance records that get broken, syracuse, penn state, & michigan. all did so with on campus by rallying the locals. doing that when the game is 2 hrs away is a totally different ballpark here and i just dont see that happening. if we were talking a stadium that kept the fan experience intact hell id do it to, but the shitty fan experience is gonna hurt a lot. personally im not gonna watch that game in person unless its a guaranteed sell out

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
your opinion of who would be a better fit for this game is of no consequence and not a factual point that can be used.

i think thats code for: i cant make a solid rebuttal to that.

i dunno dude. at this point in time its too much of a stretch for me to believe. the biggest issue is that they dont have a clue where to put the field. thats a pretty big problem. for syracuse the biggest problem came down to not enough cable outlets for the camera's. there are logistical issue's that seem so trivial but can have huge impacts & need to be worked out.

you keep mentioning how this is gonna be history with the attendance however all the ncaa attendance records that get broken, syracuse, penn state, & michigan. all did so with on campus by rallying the locals. doing that when the game is 2 hrs away is a totally different ballpark here and i just dont see that happening. if we were talking a stadium that kept the fan experience intact hell id do it to, but the shitty fan experience is gonna hurt a lot. personally im not gonna watch that game in person unless its a guaranteed sell out

I am beginning to think you don't understand traveling fan bases. Just because you wouldn't go to a game 2 hours away, doesn't mean other people won't. The majority of our fans already travel much farther than that for every home game. VT hardly has 'locals' at their games. Look at Blacksburg on a map. There really isn't anything less than 2 hours away.