• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Team Turnover

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great timing, as I was thinking about this earlier today, then someone asked about it in the GDT (officially the low point of GDTs since our migration here, btw)...

The Giants have 8 players eligible for Free Agency...

Carlos Beltran (no Arb)
Miguel Tejada
Cody Ross
Mark DeRosa
Javier Lopez
Pat Burrell
Orlando Cabrera
Guillermo Mota

And 12 players eligible for team controlled arbitration...

Tim Lincecum (14M)
Jonathan Sanchez (4.8M)
Jeff Keppinger (2.3M)
Ramon Ramirez (1.65M)
Santiago Casilla (1.3M)
Mike Fontenot (1M)
Ryan Vogelsong (.5M)
Andres Torres (2.2M)
Pablo Sandoval (.5M)
Sergio Romo (.45M)
Nate schierholz (.43M)
Eli Whiteside (.43M)

Of our free Agents, I think the G's make a SERIOUS push to keep Lopez, and offer Mota the same deal he has had the last 2 years (minor league contract with invite). They may talk to Boras about Beltran, but I do not see him in the Giants plans. The other 5, I think are let go with little attempt to retain (Ross is welcome, but at a pay cut). I am not sure who is what kind of FA (compensation-wise). Anyone have a link for that info?

For our Arb-eligible players, I think the G's let Whiteside, Torres and Fontenot walk, and they most likely offer arb to Ramirez. Everyone else is a lock to come back.

So, by my count, the Giants will have a decent amout of over-haul this upcoming off-season...

Ross
Beltran
Cabrera
DeRosa
Tejada
Burrell
Whiteside
Fontenot
Torres

That's more than 1/3 of the roster (kinda, when you take into account DL, it ends up being a bit less than 1/3).

Throw in the possible departures of RoRo and Zito, and this will be a near blow-up of the entire roster for next season.

However, this past off-season only saw 2 players leave the org, so this season is really just 2 off-season condensed into one.

uclabruin094

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know it isn't likely, but I'm hoping the Giants can keep Beltran the way the Cardinals kept Holliday when everyone thought he was a rental.

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it isn't likely, but I'm hoping the Giants can keep Beltran the way the Cardinals kept Holliday when everyone thought he was a rental.

it wouldnt be the worst thing in the world, but i dont really like that idea. he's injury proned, aging and expensive.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it wouldnt be the worst thing in the world, but i dont really like that idea. he's injury proned, aging and expensive.

Definitely don't want to overspend on one guy. I don't want the Giants to hand out contracts like Carl Crawford, Jason Werth and Adam Dunn got last offseason. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to keep Beltran because the man definitely has talent, but if we keep Beltran, I hope that Sabean keeps the total dollars spent to a reasonable amount. I trust that Sabean will do that.

uclabruin094

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Definitely don't want to overspend on one guy. I don't want the Giants to hand out contracts like Carl Crawford, Jason Werth and Adam Dunn got last offseason. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to keep Beltran because the man definitely has talent, but if we keep Beltran, I hope that Sabean keeps the total dollars spent to a reasonable amount. I trust that Sabean will do that.

Definitely want to keep it reasonable. But if he can shake off this slump since joining the Giants (which he is starting to do) and plays well for the rest of the season, we should try to lock him up for a while.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely want to keep it reasonable. But if he can shake off this slump since joining the Giants (which he is starting to do) and plays well for the rest of the season, we should try to lock him up for a while.

If he plays well for us this season, then I'm happy. I'm not looking beyond this season. I'm not sure how many years you mean when you say a while, but if we re-sign him to anything longer than a 3-year deal, that signing would probably be a mistake. A 3-year deal is already pushing it, IMHO.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just guessing here, but my guess is that Beltran will demand at least $15M per year. Anybody else want to share their guesses or well-researched predictions (for you nerds that do your homework before you post. LOL!)?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, The G's DFA'd Santiago Casilla's little brother, Jose yesterday and added Joaquin to the 40-man.

Casilla only pitched 12 innings this year, and gave up 13 runs, soI assume there was an injury in there somewhere. But I am surprised he was DFA'd. His numbers and ceiling before this year were GREAT. They apparently liked him more than Santiago.

I can only assume the injury was massive and career ending. :(

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm just guessing here, but my guess is that Beltran will demand at least $15M per year. Anybody else want to share their guesses or well-researched predictions (for you nerds that do your homework before you post. LOL!)?

Boras said he's looking for 5/70....

Not going to happen.

As for the turn over, really sucks. The FA market isn't that strong, and we really don't have any internal options.

The best CF available is CoCo Crisp

The cream of the LF crop is Willingham and Ludwick

The SS market is equally bare. It's a bunch of old guys, minus Reyes and Rollins. Maybe we could get Scutaro on a one year deal... :faint:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boras said he's looking for 5/70....

Not going to happen.

As for the turn over, really sucks. The FA market isn't that strong, and we really don't have any internal options.

The best CF available is CoCo Crisp

The cream of the LF crop is Willingham and Ludwick

The SS market is equally bare. It's a bunch of old guys, minus Reyes and Rollins. Maybe we could get Scutaro on a one year deal... :faint:

I would not be surprised to see Peguero or Brown in CF next year. A reach, granted, but a possibility as well.

For SS, I think they will go with Keppinger or Crawford. Both are cheap and between the two, offer a solid player (Kepp's bat and Craw's glove).

I also think they HAVE to have Belt in the lineup, one way or another...

C - Posey
1B - Huff
2B - Sanchez
SS - Crawbaby / Keppy
3B - Panda
RF - Nate
CF - Brown / Peguero (Crisp is not a bad possibility, though)
LF - Belt

Bench

FA catcher (maybe Sanchez)
Burriss
Gillaspie (maybe)
RoRo
Craw / Keppy
minor FA OF (Brown or Peguero only make the team as a starter)

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would not be surprised to see Peguero or Brown in CF next year. A reach, granted, but a possibility as well.

For SS, I think they will go with Keppinger or Crawford. Both are cheap and between the two, offer a solid player (Kepp's bat and Craw's glove).

I also think they HAVE to have Belt in the lineup, one way or another...

C - Posey
1B - Huff
2B - Sanchez
SS - Crawbaby / Keppy
3B - Panda
RF - Nate
CF - Brown / Peguero (Crisp is not a bad possibility, though)
LF - Belt

Bench

FA catcher (maybe Sanchez)
Burriss
Gillaspie (maybe)
RoRo
Craw / Keppy
minor FA OF (Brown or Peguero only make the team as a starter)

Repped because you read my mind exactly. Beltran is good, and should be for the next few years barring injury, but we have much cheaper options that are going to be up soon enough.

Also regarding what type of FA everybody will be, I'm lazy, but google "elias rankings update mlbtraderumors.com."

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Repped because you read my mind exactly. Beltran is good, and should be for the next few years barring injury, but we have much cheaper options that are going to be up soon enough.

Also regarding what type of FA everybody will be, I'm lazy, but google "elias rankings update mlbtraderumors.com."

Ross was a B pre All Star break. Not so much anymore :frown:

Hopefully he cant turn it around, cause it would be nice to get something for him.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ross was a B pre All Star break. Not so much anymore :frown:

Hopefully he cant turn it around, cause it would be nice to get something for him.

I don't think it matters with Ross. He is SOOO over paid right now that he would automatically accept arbitration if offered. He needs to be non-tendered.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OC could be back at SS and I think we resign Beltran. Add those 2 with a healthy Sanchez and Posey and after we win the WS again this year, I look for a 3peat, call us the Yankees of the 90's

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OC could be back at SS and I think we resign Beltran. Add those 2 with a healthy Sanchez and Posey and after we win the WS again this year, I look for a 3peat, call us the Yankees of the 90's

Serious question...

Would you rather have OC or Craw at SS?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Man, this is what they call optimism.

Not out of the question, but hardly a :lock1:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question...

Would you rather have OC or Craw at SS?

Not even a doubt, Crawford. Cheaper, way younger, better D, and with more time to work on hitting close to OC's level too.

With a healthy lineup, Craw batting 8th is no big deal.

In 2 years we could have this going on:

Brown CF
Sanchez/Kepp 2B
Panda 3B
Posey C
Belt 1B
Nate RF
Peguero LF
Crawford SS

Maybe by then we pick up another FA but that seems like a decent, young lineup to me.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even a doubt, Crawford. Cheaper, way younger, better D, and with more time to work on hitting close to OC's level too.

With a healthy lineup, Craw batting 8th is no big deal.

In 2 years we could have this going on:

Brown CF
Sanchez/Kepp 2B
Panda 3B
Posey C
Belt 1B
Nate RF
Peguero LF
Crawford SS

Maybe by then we pick up another FA but that seems like a decent, young lineup to me.

Panik should be somewhere in the mid inf as well...

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Everyone here - Please, for the love of God, stop talking about Brown and Peguero like they are assured of Major League Glory and a spot on the All-Star team.

Neither of these guys is even remotely close to playing center field for the San Francisco Giants. The team will consider itself lucky if either guy makes a September call-up - - September 2013. Neither guy is going to be in SF next season and neither will be the starting CF the year after either.

Andres Torres is playing his way off this team lately and Aaron Rowand is only here because his monstrosity of a contract prevents him from being traded, so the Giants have no legitimate CF and leadoff guy next season. But saying either Single-A guy is poised to take their rightful spot with the big club is just crazy.

Let them earn their way to the show.