• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Teach your children to play soccer instead of football

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
even if not for the money in the sport of soccer, soccer makes good sense for the youngest of kids. i recall YEARS ago a Hawaii football coach saying its the first sport kids should take up.

soccer obviously develops running coordination, endurance, and leg strength. all sports require good running whether track, football, basketball, baseball, and even tennis. non 'running' sports also require good leg strength (ie good lower body foundation) such as hockey, field events, boxing, weightlifting, etc..

makes sense to me plus, when i watch kids (real young) do it here, its natural for them to run around. whereas teaching a 6 year old to field a grounder......geeezus!

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be raising a running back. Ballet for him

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Its crazy how much boxers can make. Wheres all that money come from? It doesnt seem like that many people are all that interested in it.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy overraction. Will people stop jumping to conclusions? The case hasn't even been officially ruled as a suicide yet.

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Amazing how much motocross and formula one pay too.

Makes you wonder how Mike Tyson went broke right? Nah, not after that tattoo lol

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's another reason:

ESPN The Magazine Sportingintelligence Global Salary Survey - ESPN The Magazine - ESPN

Amazing that for how money-obsessed our sports are, Euro soccer is like as big as the NFL, MLB and NBA put together, with dramatically higher growth potential.

Soccer allows much less room for advertisment and corporate sponsors than football, basketball, and baseball. Combine that with the fact that the MLS is pretty much a second rate product, and no way soccer is a premier sport in the US in the near future.

It's unfortunate because soccer is absolutely amazing to follow, and I really believe that pro soccer players are the best athletes in the world.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
[YOUTUBE]NK-gUXl7usc&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLD7F662410951E9DF
[/YOUTUBE]

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soccer allows much less room for advertisment and corporate sponsors than football, basketball, and baseball. Combine that with the fact that the MLS is pretty much a second rate product, and no way soccer is a premier sport in the US in the near future.

It's unfortunate because soccer is absolutely amazing to follow, and I really believe that pro soccer players are the best athletes in the world.

I coach basketball here in Shanghai. One thing that I've realized is that playing soccer can help on the hardwood as well. One of the younger guys that I coach is a soccer player but when he's on the court he has amazing vision to find open players.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm trying real hard not to neg you Sick!

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I coach basketball here in Shanghai. One thing that I've realized is that playing soccer can help on the hardwood as well. One of the younger guys that I coach is a soccer player but when he's on the court he has amazing vision to find open players.

A very good friend of mine is a 5-sport athlete - 3-sport MVP and he has said precisely the same thing. You wouldn't think soccer translates to basketball (one is all feet* the other is all hands) but to hear him say it every sport has aspects of all the others. He claims defending corner kicks as goalie helped him greatly win jump balls as a WR.

(*With the exception of playing goalie of course.)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A very good friend of mine is a 5-sport athlete - 3-sport MVP and he has said precisely the same thing. You wouldn't think soccer translates to basketball (one is all feet* the other is all hands) but to hear him say it every sport has aspects of all the others. He claims defending corner kicks as goalie helped him greatly win jump balls as a WR.

(*With the exception of playing goalie of course.)

I am not an athlete but I usually play basketball. One day the group decided to play soccer instead. I told them I'm not that familiar with the technical aspects of soccer, which someone who had joined that day took that as me saying I've never seen soccer or didn't know anything about it. He tried to lobby for me to be goalie and told me nobody could touch the ball, including the goalie. I told him, you either know I could beat him (I'm faster than he is)or he thinks that I'm that stupid. I'm not the smartest guy in the world (I know, shocker) but I'm not that stupid. Suffice to say, none of us invited him back.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not an athlete but I usually play basketball. One day the group decided to play soccer instead. I told them I'm not that familiar with the technical aspects of soccer, which someone who had joined that day took that as me saying I've never seen soccer or didn't know anything about it. He tried to lobby for me to be goalie and told me nobody could touch the ball, including the goalie. I told him, you either know I could beat him (I'm faster than he is)or he thinks that I'm that stupid. I'm not the smartest guy in the world (I know, shocker) but I'm not that stupid. Suffice to say, none of us invited him back.

What a dweeb, I wouldn't have invited him back either.

arsenal6106

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember watching a Steve Nash interview a while back and he said that he credits soccer for his passing(vision) abilities in basketball.

You don't see many point guards making these kind of passes in the NBA.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember watching a Steve Nash interview a while back and he said that he credits soccer for his passing(vision) abilities in basketball.

You don't see many point guards making these kind of passes in the NBA.

That's John Stocktonesque! Without the short shorts or hard picks, of course.

Last edited by a moderator: