• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Teach your children to play soccer instead of football

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took it as soccer players do better financially worldwide. I didn't really see anything else till your post.

Mem - what does BOT mean? (I saw you use it in another thread)

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mem - what does BOT mean? (I saw you use it in another thread)

Mmmm, it's like a simple computer program that completes a task. In that case, it would be to annoyingly pick a thread and post "bump" which is all I've seen from that handle. He had like 19 posts and they were all "bump."

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mmmm, it's like a simple computer program that completes a task. In that case, it would be to annoyingly pick a thread and post "bump" which is all I've seen from that handle. He had like 19 posts and they were all "bump."

Ahh, I thought maybe something like that, but also thought it might have been an acronym for something. I have seen those Mark Evans posts - weird. You might be right.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahh, I thought maybe something like that, but also thought it might have been an acronym for something. I have seen those Mark Evans posts - weird. You might be right.

I vote for IP ban. :lm:

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember watching a Steve Nash interview a while back and he said that he credits soccer for his passing(vision) abilities in basketball.

You don't see many point guards making these kind of passes in the NBA.

That's who I tell my soccer player he makes me think of. His body control, footwork, and vision on the court come from him playing soccer. Now if he could only learn ball handling and shooting he'd be a really good player.

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took it as soccer players do better financially worldwide. I didn't really see anything else till your post.

I don't know, I thought it played along with everyone else saying that they don't want their children to play football anymore (Kurt Warner). And if you saw the link you'd see that a guy like Tamba Hali makes pretty much the same amount of money as super star Kaka.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I took it as.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as far as what your kids should play to be successful in a particular sport...hockey is different than other sports. the earlier you start skating, the better (for the most part). from my experience, anyone who starts playing hockey after about age 9 or 10 has a significant disadvantage. i know there are exceptions, but learning to skate when you are young is the most important thing for a future hockey player.

h-hour

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Soccer allows much less room for advertisment and corporate sponsors than football, basketball, and baseball. Combine that with the fact that the MLS is pretty much a second rate product, and no way soccer is a premier sport in the US in the near future.

It's unfortunate because soccer is absolutely amazing to follow, and I really believe that pro soccer players are the best athletes in the world.

Agreed..unfortunately. Its hard to take mls serious at all. I think for a soccer league to ever take off here in the US, its going to have to be more of a grassroots type deal. Anyway, I know some of you guys used to talk champions league on here a lot. What did yall think of Chelsea upsetting Barcelona?

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as far as what your kids should play to be successful in a particular sport...hockey is different than other sports. the earlier you start skating, the better (for the most part). from my experience, anyone who starts playing hockey after about age 9 or 10 has a significant disadvantage. i know there are exceptions, but learning to skate when you are young is the most important thing for a future hockey player.

I wish hockey was played more across the country. I picked up playing goalie at 16 and learned I had a lot of natural talent for it. The problem is I played in Georgia where no high schools or colleges recognize the sport. The funny thing is my high school did have a soccer team >.>;

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish hockey was played more across the country. I picked up playing goalie at 16 and learned I had a lot of natural talent for it. The problem is I played in Georgia where no high schools or colleges recognize the sport. The funny thing is my high school did have a soccer team >.>;

I played hockey in AZ, nobody gave a damn about it and still doesnt really. Now that the coyotes are doing good there are many bandwagons but still a lot of people that despise hockey. It sucks

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, I thought it played along with everyone else saying that they don't want their children to play football anymore (Kurt Warner). And if you saw the link you'd see that a guy like Tamba Hali makes pretty much the same amount of money as super star Kaka.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I took it as.

Might have played a role; only Bingo can tell us his true motivations.

mufasa76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I remember watching a Steve Nash interview a while back and he said that he credits soccer for his passing(vision) abilities in basketball.

You don't see many point guards making these kind of passes in the NBA.

Soccer brain right there, awesome.....Only if this country will pump money into soccer we can enjoy that sport too, it's a wonderful sport i coach it and i know...

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree soccer is an awesome sport but the rules don't allow the game to be exciting enough for the casual American fan.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played hockey in AZ, nobody gave a damn about it and still doesnt really. Now that the coyotes are doing good there are many bandwagons but still a lot of people that despise hockey. It sucks

at the youth hockey level, arizona is gaining some serious respect. PF Changs and the Phoenix Firebirds are two nationally respected AAA hockey programs.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And if you saw the link you'd see that a guy like Tamba Hali makes pretty much the same amount of money as super star Kaka.

That $14 million doesn't include the "image rights" money most big soccer players get, which is the money the clubs get for licensing the players' rights to sponsors and other commericals.....its millions a year. Plus Madrid pays all of Kaka's income taxes, which is another few million. That $14 million listed is deceptive....its probably worth at least $20 million a year all things considered.

Because of the image rights, you have to add a couple million to all the soccer salaries listed. With salary caps, American sports are usually required to include ALL compensation given to a player, to make sure its all accounted for, but with the euro sports there are generally loads of various earnings and payments not included in official numbers.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree soccer is an awesome sport but the rules don't allow the game to be exciting enough for the casual American fan.

yep, no doubt. the casual American finds it boring when there's so little scoring? personally, i also don't get the strategies teams use?

maybe they need be like the NFL, who changed the rules to favor pass? can soccer loosen up the goal area?

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Deep....once you get into it, the strategies are almost the best part. Tactical analysis of soccer is the new big thing, a bit similar to how stat analysis is getting so big in US sports. The way teams use such different styles and formations makes for such intriguing matchups and isn't found in any of our domestic sports..........teams can play super attacking, super defensive, play more or less forwards or defensive players, or play all their guys in the middle and slow the game down. The closest equivalent in our sports would be the NBA, where occasionally you get a real small ball team like the Suns or Warriors of a few years ago, but generally in baseball, football, basketball the teams line up almost the same ways. It would be like in the NFL if some teams played with 8 offensive linemen, or threw long every down, just radical differences in styles.

You can get a glance at it at the site zonalmarking.net to see what I'm talking about, amazing site......its completely fascinating once you understand.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As far as low scoring...you just have to appreciate that there are great plays being made all the time, just that very few of them result in goals. Lots of great plays are only stopped from being goals because of a great play by the defense....more goals doesn't necessarily mean better soccer. But sure it does take a while to get used to for an American.