• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Teach your children to play soccer instead of football

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep, no doubt. the casual American finds it boring when there's so little scoring? personally, i also don't get the strategies teams use?

maybe they need be like the NFL, who changed the rules to favor pass? can soccer loosen up the goal area?

The friend I mentioned earlier in the thread played 9 years in NorCal and said if he could change two things that would make the game quicker and more exciting (for the casual American fan) he would incorporate basketball's back-court penalty combined with a defenders in the box rule and narrow the width of the field.

I agree with both - one would hasten the game while the other would increase the shots on goal.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deep....once you get into it, the strategies are almost the best part. Tactical analysis of soccer is the new big thing, a bit similar to how stat analysis is getting so big in US sports. The way teams use such different styles and formations makes for such intriguing matchups and isn't found in any of our domestic sports..........teams can play super attacking, super defensive, play more or less forwards or defensive players, or play all their guys in the middle and slow the game down. The closest equivalent in our sports would be the NBA, where occasionally you get a real small ball team like the Suns or Warriors of a few years ago, but generally in baseball, football, basketball the teams line up almost the same ways. It would be like in the NFL if some teams played with 8 offensive linemen, or threw long every down, just radical differences in styles.

You can get a glance at it at the site zonalmarking.net to see what I'm talking about, amazing site......its completely fascinating once you understand.

Very well said. The tactics and what it takes to score a goal, along with the players' amazing athleticism and field vision is what attracts me to soccer - not simply putting the ball in the net. There's so much that goes into scoring a goal.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Very well said. The tactics and what it takes to score a goal, along with the players' amazing athleticism and field vision is what attracts me to soccer - not simply putting the ball in the net. There's so much that goes into scoring a goal.

My father's admiration of Pele is what got me into soccer as a kid. Never saw Pele played live, but I used to see tons of his all games. Then Maradona came along...and I was in it for life!

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed Bingo.

I can sit here and watch this stuff all day:

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Deep....once you get into it, the strategies are almost the best part. Tactical analysis of soccer is the new big thing, a bit similar to how stat analysis is getting so big in US sports. The way teams use such different styles and formations makes for such intriguing matchups and isn't found in any of our domestic sports..........teams can play super attacking, super defensive, play more or less forwards or defensive players, or play all their guys in the middle and slow the game down. The closest equivalent in our sports would be the NBA, where occasionally you get a real small ball team like the Suns or Warriors of a few years ago, but generally in baseball, football, basketball the teams line up almost the same ways. It would be like in the NFL if some teams played with 8 offensive linemen, or threw long every down, just radical differences in styles.

You can get a glance at it at the site zonalmarking.net to see what I'm talking about, amazing site......its completely fascinating once you understand.

oh ok. yeah, have no doubt there's a LOT of strategy going on.

mahalo for the site.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The friend I mentioned earlier in the thread played 9 years in NorCal and said if he could change two things that would make the game quicker and more exciting (for the casual American fan) he would incorporate basketball's back-court penalty combined with a defenders in the box rule and narrow the width of the field.

I agree with both - one would hasten the game while the other would increase the shots on goal.

ok, there are potential rule changes to consider.

think i got the idea on 'backcourt' but i'll need to read the site to understand 'defenders in the box'. :-)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

apparently, cause there aren't many in a match.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, there are potential rule changes to consider.

think i got the idea on 'backcourt' but i'll need to read the site to understand 'defenders in the box'. :-)

Once you reduce the attack to 1/2 field you would need to address the crowding issue that any defense would certainly incorporate to prevent a SOG (Shot On Goal). In soccer you have a penalty box which would need be managed much like the paint in basketball but of course tailored toward soccer. Both of these ideas come from basketball.

As a five sport athlete, he always thought of how the rules of one sport could influence another to make it more exciting for the casual fan. Back when he played, soccer was just gaining popularity in the states, but he didn't think it was popular enough. He felt there was always a disconnect between the passion the players had for the sport vs. the passion the fans had.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
apparently, cause there aren't many in a match.

The level of tacticle skill in soccer is second to perhaps only gymnastics and even the most casual fan could watch these artists move the ball around their body and enjoy it. But, when put that skill in a competitive environment where the intent is to score points (goals) - the casual fan couldn't care less about those magic tricks - meanwhile any player of the sport would watch and drool.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agreed Bingo.

That was an amazing video :hail:. If these men aren't considered the best athletes on earth, I don't know what else to say. The stamina you need to have to play soccer is incredible. Ain't no such thing as timeout in soccer, most people would :faint: trying to rund around the field that long with no brake in between.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
One of the best goals ever just happened the other day.......this thing is just freakish:

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed Bingo.

Some of that stuff is very difficult to do when you're using hands much less doing it with your feet. Holy shit, it's just amazing. I can't get that crap to go down playin' FIFA!

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the best goals ever just happened the other day.......this thing is just freakish:

That goal was absolutely ridiculous. I don't know even know why Cisse even attempted that shot at that angle/distance. I played LW for 12 years and I wouldn't even dream about taking a shot like that. Even Cech, who's like what, 6'6"? didn't have a chance at it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That was an amazing video :hail:. If these men aren't considered the best athletes on earth, I don't know what else to say. The stamina you need to have to play soccer is incredible. Ain't no such thing as timeout in soccer, most people would :faint: trying to rund around the field that long with no brake in between.

yep even i can see soccer players need stamina, tons of it.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That goal was absolutely ridiculous. I don't know even know why Cisse even attempted that shot at that angle/distance. I played LW for 12 years and I wouldn't even dream about taking a shot like that. Even Cech, who's like what, 6'6"? didn't have a chance at it.

I saw it on Sportscenter. It's so unbelievable I almost wonder if he meant to do something else. I mean, it is ridiculously unreal.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw it on Sportscenter. It's so unbelievable I almost wonder if he meant to do something else. I mean, it is ridiculously unreal.

The spin he puts on the ball is unreal. That angle/distance is good for set pieces, but not a shot like that without even a trap on the ball. Jesus. He can try that shot 1000 times he'll probably get it in on Petr Cech maybe once.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The spin he puts on the ball is unreal. That angle/distance is good for set pieces, but not a shot like that without even a trap on the ball. Jesus. He can try that shot 1000 times he'll probably get it in on Petr Cech maybe once.

To even attempt it, you have to have some magical combo of imagination, genius, skill and insanity. lol

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree soccer is an awesome sport but the rules don't allow the game to be exciting enough for the casual American fan.

I disagree. I've tried to care about watching soccer. I've tried to pay attention to the European leagues and the World Cup. Problem is, the game itself is just intolerable for me. I'd honestly rather watch somebody turn a light switch on and off for 90 minutes.

That's just me, though. I'm not attacking anybody for finding it interesting.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I disagree. I've tried to care about watching soccer. I've tried to pay attention to the European leagues and the World Cup. Problem is, the game itself is just intolerable for me. I'd honestly rather watch somebody turn a light switch on and off for 90 minutes.

h-hour

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

I think gaelic football would find a fanbase here if it were ever given a chance.