• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tavecchio cut

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a shame. Seems like they kept the lesser kicker because he was drafted. So much for honest competition.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that bc Freese hit a 55 yarder in the dirt in Oakland while the Italian dude missed from 52 at home indoors that could've sealed his fate.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also see more of them each and every day at practice. Maybe they've seen other things in Freese they like better. Dunno.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a shame. Seems like they kept the lesser kicker because he was drafted. So much for honest competition.

Seems that dreadful Mayhew did this. Has to be his fault. Sure he makes all the cuts now. Coaches have no say so...

Always a damn shame when it is not seen your way. The camp competition was even and they made wrong decision suddenly.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Their decision to go with Freese is unsurprising. They spent a seventh-round draft pick on him, and though coach Jim Caldwell said that was not a factor, he stuck with Freese on the first team all the way through the offseason even though Tavecchio was kicking better.

Tavecchio hit 25 in a row during one stretch of camp, while Freese was missing most days. Yet Freese remained the starter, a sign Detroit preferred its draft pick to win this battle.

Caldwell said he would alternate kickers last week against Jacksonville, but stuck with Freese in the first half. Tavecchio missed on his only opportunity of the game, a 51-yard field goal, and three days later is out of a job.

The Lions got their wish with Freese, and now they'll hope the rookie can even out his highs and lows after a disappointing camp."

Detroit Lions cut Jonte Green, Giorgio Tavecchio; will go with rookie Nate Freese at kicker | MLive.com

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Caldwell/Austin might just go with Nevin Lawson as a CB now that Jonte Green is gone. IDK. I'm quite surprised he's gone before next weeks cuts or at all. (Green, that is)

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Their decision to go with Freese is unsurprising. They spent a seventh-round draft pick on him, and though coach Jim Caldwell said that was not a factor, he stuck with Freese on the first team all the way through the offseason even though Tavecchio was kicking better.

Tavecchio hit 25 in a row during one stretch of camp, while Freese was missing most days. Yet Freese remained the starter, a sign Detroit preferred its draft pick to win this battle.

Caldwell said he would alternate kickers last week against Jacksonville, but stuck with Freese in the first half. Tavecchio missed on his only opportunity of the game, a 51-yard field goal, and three days later is out of a job.

The Lions got their wish with Freese, and now they'll hope the rookie can even out his highs and lows after a disappointing camp."

Detroit Lions cut Jonte Green, Giorgio Tavecchio; will go with rookie Nate Freese at kicker | MLive.com

I understand camp is not game situation. Freese made 20 straight outside last year in games. Not in the cozy confines of the practice field.

Now we believe articles by writers when it is seen your way. Yet if sprinkle boy Tpaul god forbid uses a article with positive spin by a writer he is slammed for using writers opinion.

TPaul can be annoying as fuck at times. Just like others from the other extreme here.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gandy, what's your deal? By all accounts, Tevecchio has been the more consistent kicker throughout camp. I'm not making that up. If that weren't the case, I wouldn't think the decision was a shame. The most important sentence of the article was that he is missing most days. A statement of fact, not slant or opinion. And that 33 yard shank against Oakland was a game situation. Seems like you're just in the mood to argue.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gandy, what's your deal? By all accounts, Tevecchio has been the more consistent kicker throughout camp. I'm not making that up. If that weren't the case, I wouldn't think the decision was a shame. The most important sentence of the article was that he is missing most days. A statement of fact, not slant or opinion. And that 33 yard shank against Oakland was a game situation. Seems like you're just in the mood to argue.

Nope, don't want to argue. I almost got what wanted out of you. A post with actual substance and not just whining.

Pretty obvious I don't see eye to eye with Rob Base... however he has a very high football IQ and when he is not being outlandish trying to get TPauls goat. He actaully post a opinion that is solution based.

I can honestly say Jay, I have never seen one post that offers what should or could happen by you with thought or explanation behind it.

Hell even the most disgruntled fan Muzz offers up ideas.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until Kickalicious is back this is all just meaningless tripe.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rothstein mentioned that the Chiefs might cut Succop? is that true? if so that solves the kicking problem if we can claim him.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until Kickalicious is back this is all just meaningless tripe.

Max I read a article that said he was not interrested in coming back over. Money can change a lot of minds.

I shall google it and see if I can find it

Last edited by a moderator:

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of factors that come into play when 2 players are in a tight competition. I dont think that him being a 7th round pick was a factor.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rothstein mentioned that the Chiefs might cut Succop? is that true? if so that solves the kicking problem if we can claim him.

I dont want any suckups on this team!

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jonte Green is cut? I actually liked him better than either of the other two guys drafted the same year. Thought he could be a backup for us.

Oh well -- I have a feeling Detroit is finally going to bite the bullet and use a 1st rounder next year on the CB position and if Mayhew is still the GM, he will say he was the BPA just so he doesn't go against his own mantra.

Unless Greenwood makes monster strides -- I think he will be following Green out the door. Bentley may be kept as a backup though. Just my opinion.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jonte Green is cut? I actually liked him better than either of the other two guys drafted the same year. Thought he could be a backup for us.

Oh well -- I have a feeling Detroit is finally going to bite the bullet and use a 1st rounder next year on the CB position and if Mayhew is still the GM, he will say he was the BPA just so he doesn't go against his own mantra.

Unless Greenwood makes monster strides -- I think he will be following Green out the door. Bentley may be kept as a backup though. Just my opinion.

I think Bentley and Lawson are both Nickel Corners and one will have to go at some point, I would guess Bentley over Lawson

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it's important to vary the sources. If you read Kyle Meinke's stuff, you'd think Tevecchio clearly out-kicked Freese. If you read other articles, that's not so much the case. I think Meinke saw things one way, and let his person bias get in the way of responsible journalism, although Mlive's model seems to be a mix of news at op-ed in the same articles, so it makes it tricky to decipher reporting from opinion.

Freese was reported to have quite a bit stronger leg, so maybe that played a part in the decision?

I didn't really care either way- whichever kicker was the best is who I'm happy with, but for what it's worth just that one beat writer seemed to be the only one championing Tevecchio, from what I read, anyhow. It really didn't seem like either guy pulled away...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Bentley and Lawson are both Nickel Corners and one will have to go at some point, I would guess Bentley over Lawson

I agree that they're both nickel CBs, but I don't see any connection there with one needing to go. With as much as teams run the nickel and dime defenses nickel backs have a valuable place on the roster. Their size/speed combo usually makes them good special teams gunners since they can get downfield in a hurry.

Bentley might be gone after this season if his play doesn't turn the corner, though. He showed some noticeable improvement last year, but hasn't shown anything much yet this preseason...