• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tate's Contract & Low 2014 Cap Number

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was definitely in the contingent that thought we over-paid Tate by about $1 per year based on the yearly average of his contract. However, looking at the actual structure, it's a great deal for the Lions.

His cap number this year is a very palatable $3.1 million ($1.5 base salary + $1.6 bonus), and most of the dead money, and all of the guaranteed $$ is chewed up in the 1st three years. That's significant because if he's not living up to the deal we can cut him without carrying over millions against that year's cap.

His base salary does climb to $6 and then $7 million over the last two years, but we have him on a decent deal for the 1st three years with the ability to cut-bait thereafter with minimal dead $$ penalties.

So for those of you whining about us using up "most of our available cap space" on Tate, well feel free to stick this in your collective pipes and smoke it, lol... More or less we got him for a $3 year, $15 million deal with a team option for 2017 and 2018. That's far easier to stomach than the original numbers that were reported.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(Puts head down and prays everything works out).

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(Puts head down and prays everything works out).

That's the beauty of this contract. If things don't work out we're pretty well protected for a change. It's refreshing to see a well-structured contract for once...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So for those of you whining about us using up "most of our available cap space" on Tate, well feel free to stick this in your collective pipes and smoke it, lol

I'm not sure how much cap space you think the Lions have, but here is a direct quote from ESPN from an article discussing Tate's contract.

More details about Tate's contract will likely pop out in the next few days.

That leaves the Lions with about $4.5 million in cap room -- give or take a signing or two -- according to the Detroit Free Press. This likely means before Detroit makes any more moves, contract restructuring is likely coming. Or a cut. Or a new contract for defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh that would cut the albatross that is the $22.4 million counting against the cap. Detroit will have to make some moves to work out some cap room over the next couple of months.

We have 4.5 million in cap space left after the Tate signing, which doesn't include signing Ihedbigo, if they do, or Tapp or Vaughan Martin or the roughly 6 million they need to sign their draft picks.

If Detroit can get Suh to re-sign, it could all work out, but from everything I've read regarding that, it doesn't seem to be a top priority for him right now. It is making me think more and more that he is going to try and test the FA market, which sucks.

Rob

Forward down the field, Bitches.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The analysis should be Nate vs Tate.

Nate's career is ending while Tate is entering his prime.

Tate had a much better 2013 season (even accounting for Nate's injury)

Nate cost $6.5M against the cap in 2013 and would have cost $7.5 this season. Tate is less than half of those numbers in 2014.

No matter how you look at it this is an enormous upgrade. Even if you think we overpaid we still got a good young veteran and improved the team's cap position.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Mlive:

"According to an NFLPA report, the Lions still have $6.9 million in space."

Detroit Lions' Golden Tate and Joique Bell will have combined $5.4 million cap hit in 2014 | MLive.com

Here is the running total for the Lions cap space in 2014 with Tate and Bell's contract added in - it breaks down every player. It doesn't include Vaughn Martin or Darryl Tapp, as I'm guess they haven't announced what they will be making yet. Also doesn't include Ihedbigo if he signs. Detroit also has to have around 6 million in cap space to sign the players they draft.

Unless Detroit gets Suh to sign an extension -- they are going to have to really do some work to get their cap number right. If they get Suh to sign an extension, he could clear up roughly 10 million in cap space by himself.

» Over the Cap- Detroit Lions 2014 Salary Cap and Contracts

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to trust the NFLPA's figures of that of an independent website.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of what figures anyone uses, let's just dwell on the fact that we have 3 guys making over $13 mil this year. $13mil....for one fucking year. Could u imagine what u could do with $13mil, for just one year? Unreal man. Some of these bastards, even the league minimums, have no clue how lucky they are to get to play a game for a living. Granted, it's a dangerous game, but they get to play a game for a living and makes tons of money at the same time.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not entirely sure what some of you are expecting. I keep seeing comments in some of these threads talking about cap space and crap. Lions have signed Tate and Pettigrew and Ihedigbo are coming. And we got tapp and i think a couple others. I can assure you we will sign our draft picks. Thats not really a concern like so many of you are making it out to be. I could have done without signing Pettigrew. But there is one thing that I know is that free agency rarely matters anyway. Championships and good teams are made in the draft. The Lions lately have been more focused on the draft and keeping their players than free agency. They are using free agency sparingly and we aren't seeing those same big names some teams are. I think even with a little cap space the Lions would have done about the same things they are doing now. Draft and develop and keep them in the D. I like it. That is how champions are made.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not entirely sure what some of you are expecting. I keep seeing comments in some of these threads talking about cap space and crap. Lions have signed Tate and Pettigrew and Ihedigbo are coming. And we got tapp and i think a couple others. I can assure you we will sign our draft picks. Thats not really a concern like so many of you are making it out to be. I could have done without signing Pettigrew. But there is one thing that I know is that free agency rarely matters anyway. Championships and good teams are made in the draft. The Lions lately have been more focused on the draft and keeping their players than free agency. They are using free agency sparingly and we aren't seeing those same big names some teams are. I think even with a little cap space the Lions would have done about the same things they are doing now. Draft and develop and keep them in the D. I like it. That is how champions are made.

Who are you? And what have you done with Kreton?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is how championships are made!?! :laugh3: This is why we pick Top Ten. This is Lions football.

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

PREACH!

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is how championships are made!?! :laugh3: This is why we pick Top Ten. This is Lions football.

Look at how championship teams have built there teams. Far more often than not the majority of those teams are not making a ton of free agency big moves. Build through the draft. Use FA sparingly. Tell me the last time a team won the Superbowl on a team built in free agency.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at how championship teams have built there teams. Far more often than not the majority of those teams are not making a ton of free agency big moves. Build through the draft. Use FA sparingly. Tell me the last time a team won the Superbowl on a team built in free agency.

Very true Kreton. Only problem is LIons don't hit on draft picks. That is a need in this scenario. These teams are making 4th and 5th picks and UDFA acquisitions that pan out. Up until last year, not happening in Detroit.