• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

targeting call

offshore1509

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was against the rule from the beginning. It is way too subjective and has too much effect on the outcome of the game. At least the ejection gets reviewed. That being said, they can not over rule the ejection. If you start reviewing and overturning penalties, the game will take forever and be a joke.

The only solution I could offer is for the official to flag the play to be reviewed to determine if it was targeting. Its already going to be reviewed anyway. If the replay official determines it is targeting, then the penalty and ejection are iin forced.

Sounds too logical to actually be implemented.

tideguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,211.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, but, but.... You guys are all classless assholes for talking about a stupid penalty instead of how great or terrible your team did!

tideguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,211.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This "penalty" leaves the door wide open for refs to sway the game. They can throw a flag on ANY hit, and give the other team 15yds and 1st down, even when the penalty is reviewed and deemed a non penalty!

whomperwauson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were many really bad calls and non calls in the Bama-A&M game, that "targeting" was the highlight of it though.

whomperwauson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One I didn't notice at the time but I saw from a different thread was PI on the pick six, Bama defender basically face slams the A&M receiver.

Alabama's Sunseri gets a Pick 6 against A&M's Manziel after pass interference - YouTube

These calls ruin the game for both sides, you end up as a fan hoping you luck out when the refs appear to flip the coin to call or not call whatever they want. I seem to remember a couple "false starts" on Bama where it seemed nobody moved.

TheZou11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That bullshit is going to cost a team in a big way sometime this season, just wait for it.

We have to play the first half this week against Indiana's high-scoring offense without our best linebacker because of this shitty rule.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another dumb rule struck me yesterday, can't remember the game:

A D-lineman's helmet comes off in the middle of a play, he is in the middle of the action, the ball carrier is 3 feet away. The D-lineman tries to make the tackle and is penalized 15 yds for participating without a helmet.

What was he supposed to do, freeze in place while players are running all around him?

I know if a RB's helmet comes off, the play stops immediately, but with a D-lineman, the play goes on. I don't get it.

Happened in the FSU/Nevada game. Timmy Jernigan had his helmet ripped off, he swiped aside the OL, and then went and helped tackle the RB. The rule was explained after the 15 yd personal foul. THe rule is if your helmet is ripped off you can complete the action you were doing when it was ripped off, BUT cannot do any other action. So by the rule once his helmet was ripped off he could not go and tackle the RB who had the ball.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One I didn't notice at the time but I saw from a different thread was PI on the pick six, Bama defender basically face slams the A&M receiver.

Alabama's Sunseri gets a Pick 6 against A&M's Manziel after pass interference - YouTube

These calls ruin the game for both sides, you end up as a fan hoping you luck out when the refs appear to flip the coin to call or not call whatever they want. I seem to remember a couple "false starts" on Bama where it seemed nobody moved.

He looked back for the ball is why they did not call it as PI. He put his hand out to find where the receiver was, but did not push or grab him. Had his head not been turned it would have been a PI call all the way.

These calls happened in the FSU game too. The ACC head official explained that even though there was contact the DB turned to look for the ball.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was the predecessor to the targeting rule. This was a clean play all of the way. This happened 2 years ago. Listen to the penalty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He looked back for the ball is why they did not call it as PI. He put his hand out to find where the receiver was, but did not push or grab him. Had his head not been turned it would have been a PI call all the way.

These calls happened in the FSU game too. The ACC head official explained that even though there was contact the DB turned to look for the ball.

Think you need to go get your eyes checked.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we're at it, why is that defensive players get flagged for lighting up a "defenseless" player, but it's ok for an offensive player to light up a "defenseless" defensive player, say on a blind side block?

Beggs

Nipples of a God
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was the predecessor to the targeting rule. This was a clean play all of the way. This happened 2 years ago. Listen to the penalty.

I dont care if it was 2 years ago, that still pissed me off

Last edited by a moderator:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well hory sheet, an Alabama DB did turn and look for the ball at least once in the game.

Probably should have been called PI, however when a DB turns their head they gain just as much right to the ball as the receiver, which generally leads to a bit more cushion on PI calls. So not that surprising it wasn't called. Without the head turn, it's an easy PI call.

whomperwauson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happened in the FSU/Nevada game. Timmy Jernigan had his helmet ripped off, he swiped aside the OL, and then went and helped tackle the RB. The rule was explained after the 15 yd personal foul. THe rule is if your helmet is ripped off you can complete the action you were doing when it was ripped off, BUT cannot do any other action. So by the rule once his helmet was ripped off he could not go and tackle the RB who had the ball.

The problem with this is now the strategy on offense should be to grasp at the defenders helmet straps and try to take it off to take them out of the play or get a foul. If they try to tackle someone then even if you get called for hands to the face or facemask the penalties will offset.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the DB for Bama did NOT turn his head to the left which is where the ball comes from? OK.

So, you can do whatever you want to the WR if you turn your head? The DB all but stiff armed the WR and definately had an effect on the WR.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you can do whatever you want to the WR if you turn your head? The DB all but stiff armed the WR and definately had an effect on the WR.

You are missing the biggest part. He turned his head which means he is looking for the ball and can go for it. That means he can try and position himself. That was the only reason it was not called was because he turned his head. Nothing more to it than that.

The "stiff arm" was done blindly. Per the video posted he did not look around to see where the WR was at before he put his arm out. The refs are not going to call that PI because he was looking for the ball and trying to "feel" where the WR was at. I can understand not liking the call, but per the rules it was a good no call.