• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tanaka to the Yankees!

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not common sense, it's being frugal, which is perfectly acceptable. If teams don't want to get into these bidding wars, I completely get it, but that's simply not reality. Plenty of teams have given out outrageous, market-obliterating contracts over the past 20 years in baseball. They're not all the Yankees, Dodgers, Angels, Red Sox and Cubs.

Again, at the end of the day, I just will never understand why we begrudge the players making the money they make when the leagues generate the revenue they do. It's completely backwards. If we're going to begrudge anyone (not saying we should), it should be the guy in the luxury box sipping cocktails and counting all the risk-free money he's making. Owners are a necessary part of the equation, but they make a way bigger cut than the value they bring to the product.

Speaking just for myself, any negitive feelings I have about players and salaries is only from jealousy. Other than that, I would wonder why people get upset?

As for whom exactly to point the blame on salaries going through the roof over the last 40 years ( coming just after 80 years of ownser paying guys vertual peanuts ), I will let folks smarter than myself figure that out.

At this point, I feel that everyone involved is getting paid more that they should, with my main issue being the financial disparity between the rich teams and poor teams, and wish & hope that something could happen to bring a better balance to the sport.

I also know that they likelyhood of this being slim and none, so I try not to lose any sleep over it regardless.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All comes down to how these new TV contracts work out As long as TV pays for baseball it will be fine:suds:
Could be wrong but I remember reading that the Dodgers, with their TV contract, make 300+ million before they even sell a single ticket.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking just for myself, any negitive feelings I have about players and salaries is only from jealousy. Other than that, I would wonder why people get upset?

As for whom exactly to point the blame on salaries going through the roof over the last 40 years ( coming just after 80 years of ownser paying guys vertual peanuts ), I will let folks smarter than myself figure that out.

At this point, I feel that everyone involved is getting paid more that they should, with my main issue being the financial disparity between the rich teams and poor teams, and wish & hope that something could happen to bring a better balance to the sport.

I also know that they likelyhood of this being slim and none, so I try not to lose any sleep over it regardless.
This!!

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But how's his gyroball?

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It goes 122 MPH, it stops half way then starts up again.

That sounds kind of familiar..........

th

Nyfan1980

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Yankees invested a lot of resources in scouting this guy. They have seen him pitch against ML hitters before and what is interesting is he used a ML baseball in bullpen sessions to throw instead of their ball. They think this guy rises up in the big games and will deal with the pressure well.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Yankees invested a lot of resources in scouting this guy. They have seen him pitch against ML hitters before and what is interesting is he used a ML baseball in bullpen sessions to throw instead of their ball. They think this guy rises up in the big games and will deal with the pressure well.

Yeah but they invested a lot of resources in scouting Irabu and Kei Igawa too.

I don't know why teams insist on shelling out big cash for Japanese (and Cuban!) players. The hits are far, far fewer then the misses.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't care how much resources they spent scouting the guy. There is no justification of giving a guy a contract that is the 5th largest in the MLB history for a pitcher, when he has never thrown a pitch in the MLB.

You want to know how bad the hitter's are in the Japan. Casey McGhee was 2nd in the league in homeruns and 15th in the league in hitting, after hitting .223 and .217 his last two years in the MLB with 22 homeruns total in 270 games, before signing to go to Japan.

Nyfan1980

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but they invested a lot of resources in scouting Irabu and Kei Igawa too.

I don't know why teams insist on shelling out big cash for Japanese (and Cuban!) players. The hits are far, far fewer then the misses.

No. Irabu and Igawa weren't even close to how good Tanaka is and the only reason they signed Igawa was because they lost out on Dice K.

Nyfan1980

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports say the Yankees are considering Stephen Drew now.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
0CBk49o.jpg

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Irabu and Igawa weren't even close to how good Tanaka is and the only reason they signed Igawa was because they lost out on Dice K.

They certainly didn't invest the kind of money they invested in Irabu and Igawa because they thought they were going to have the careers they did.

mike hunt

Hoopla Cash
$ 850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian Cashman thinks Tanaka will be a solid number three starter how does he give this guy 155 million plus the posting fee to be a number three.

Yanks ruining baseball again..