• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Super Bowl platform for gay rights.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
That's great news. Hijack something fun and force politics into it. Yay.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Probably nothing will come from it but it's a selfish move on his part because it's neither the time or platform to champion political causes and you're needlessly opening a door for potential problems.

As a teammate I want your focus on how you can stop Colin Kaepernick not on how you can promote your cause.

And more importantly not everybody on your team agrees or is on board with your position. Matt Birk has already come out against it so is it fair to him that he might have to answer questions on it or be open to criticism over it? Is it fair to put your teammates in possible positions to talk about it as well?

You want to champion your cause then great but do it after the Super Bowl on your own time.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, the hypocrisy of this post simply cannot go unrecognized or unmentioned

:laugh3:

It's one thing to do that to a message board, but another to do it to a Super Bowl. ;)

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's one thing to do that to a message board, but another to do it to a Super Bowl. ;)

Wherever two or more gather, a platform for political, civil and social debate is created.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm torn on this sort of thing, regardless of my personal feelings on this particular issue. I respect someone who is willing to stand up for something and use their relative fame/spotlight for more than just self-promotion. Celebrities endorsing political causes can become tiresome, but I appreciate that they are often trying to do what they believe is right.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm torn on this sort of thing, regardless of my personal feelings on this particular issue. I respect someone who is willing to stand up for something and use their relative fame/spotlight for more than just self-promotion. Celebrities endorsing political causes can become tiresome, but I appreciate that they are often trying to do what they believe is right.

True, but at a point it's like...STFU.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
To me the player's goal should be to get the media obligations over and done with as quickly and smoothly as possible and get back to the task on hand.

If I was a player in that situation that's what I would be doing. You can promote your causes, party, and fool around after the Super Bowl is over and done with.

Nobody is going to remember or care what you did leading up to the Super Bowl but if you win it you're forever a champion and nobody can take that away from you and that moment will be something that will be with you the rest of your life.

Look at Brady. The Patriots haven't won a Super Bowl in 8 years and Brady has been unclutch in that span of time but nobody really talks much about that since he won the 3 before.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

The thing is how do you know it's not for self promotion?

I don't know him so I can't say if it's the case or not but nobody is talking about Ayanbadejo unless it's something regarding this issue.

If it wasn't for this he's a no name special teamer that nobody cares about.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

I feel like if there's a thread on a message board called "Gay Rights" or something, you're intentionally exposing yourself to something political if you read it. And there are plenty of off topic threads on SportsHoopla (especially during the offseason).

It's something else if you're watching an NFL pregame show and getting excited about the game, and then they turn the discussion to politics. Is there nowhere to just escape from that stuff & just enjoy something superfluous & fun? Not even the Superbowl?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like if there's a thread on a message board called "Gay Rights" or something, you're intentionally exposing yourself to something political if you read it. And there are plenty of off topic threads on SportsHoopla (especially during the offseason).

It's something else if you're watching an NFL pregame show and getting excited about the game, and then they turn the discussion to politics. Is there nowhere to just escape from that stuff & just enjoy something superfluous & fun? Not even the Superbowl?

Yeah, but I think he was saying that you, Sickness, from time to time, turn a football thread (not a political thread) on a message board into a political discussion just like this special teamer is discussing political issues in the Super Bowl. He thought your lamentation of such diversion of attention away from football was ironic due to your use here on this board sometimes. But I think all of us would agree that for the most part, your political comments are in political threads.

But I agree with your second paragraph. Can't we just discuss football, not gay rights, the War in Iraq (year's past), gun control, or wardrobe malfunctions? At least on television the day of the game. So right now, I'm ok with it, but if it leaks into the broadcast of the game or halftime, that's going to bug me - no matter the subject.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talking about gay rights and media attention. It appears that SI is going along with the stereotype of San Francisco or is joining in on the movement.
(Page 48) - And no, I don't care. I'm not from SF, so no trouble with stereotypes and I find nothing wrong with two guys kissing at a bar.

gr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Yeah, but I think he was saying that you, Sickness, from time to time, turn a football thread (not a political thread) on a message board into a political discussion just like this special teamer is discussing political issues in the Super Bowl.

I'm not worried about what that guy says; I don't know why anyone else is. I've only given into the temptation to reply once in the last year.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried about what that guy says; I don't know why anyone else is. I've only given into the temptation to reply once in the last year.

My bad, I wasn't paying attention to that. Move along, nothing to see here.

You obviously watch the Simpsons, at least the classics, but do you also watch/like Seinfeld? I forgot if it was you or someone else that I've seen post Seinfeld bits.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Yeah, I used to watch Seinfeld. I remember that episode.

"It's Guys & Dolls! Not Guys & Guys!" :)

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn this should not be going on during the build up to the Super Bowl.....