• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Suns Dragic to Fakers

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Orrrr the Draft Lottery will screw you guys over and we will get your #6 pick :yahoo:

Psych. With our luck you got it locked down, plus the odds will be in your favor. If you get a top 5 pick then that is great trade bait and I assume they want to build a team around Kobe to give him one last run. Wouldn't be surprised if they dealt the pick along with another young player for a big name.

Any of these 5 are game changers- Okafor, Muidiay, Towns, Johnson & Russell. They could get a nice return.

I don't see the Lakers trying to build around Kobe. He only has one, maybe 2 season(s) left. They'll try to get the best FA's that they can and if they get lucky, maybe they can land a couple of younger guys who can make them contenders next year. They are rebuilding for beyond next year though.

Best case scenario for Kobe is that the Lakers improve enough to be a playoff team next year, he stays healthy and plays well, then when his contract comes off the books, they add another top FA and re-sign him for 1 more season.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Orrrr the Draft Lottery will screw you guys over and we will get your #6 pick :yahoo:

Psych. With our luck you got it locked down, plus the odds will be in your favor. If you get a top 5 pick then that is great trade bait and I assume they want to build a team around Kobe to give him one last run. Wouldn't be surprised if they dealt the pick along with another young player for a big name.

Any of these 5 are game changers- Okafor, Muidiay, Towns, Johnson & Russell. They could get a nice return.

I agree with TJF, I think they will keep the pick. They need help everywhere so if they get a wing, guard or big in the draft then it will greatly alter who they choose to go after in FA. Can't see them giving Jordan the max if they get Okafor for instance.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see the Lakers trying to build around Kobe. He only has one, maybe 2 season(s) left. They'll try to get the best FA's that they can and if they get lucky, maybe they can land a couple of younger guys who can make them contenders next year. They are rebuilding for beyond next year though.

Best case scenario for Kobe is that the Lakers improve enough to be a playoff team next year, he stays healthy and plays well, then when his contract comes off the books, they add another top FA and re-sign him for 1 more season.

I think this post makes sense- especially the part about Kobe playing out next year and than resigning for a lesser salary.

I dont see Kobe retiring anytime soon. He is what? 36? I can see him playing till Duncans age of 39-40.....heck Jordan took a reduced role.

for a guy like Kobe who loves the game like he does I think he squezzes every last minute and every last point out of his career.

I think the Lakers would be lucky to have him back on like a 8 million dollar deal after next year- and for him to just be a really good offensive shooting guard that makes clutch shots and plays 25 minutes a game.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say Cousins becomes available this summer.

Does LA offer something like Hill, their pick (top5) and a future 2nd rounder for Cousins? Then they'd still have enough cap space to go after someone like Reggie Jackson, Wesley Matthews or Goran Dragic.

If the right player becomes available and Kobe is healthy (relatively) then I'd be shocked if they didn't try to upgrade the roster with a trade and FA signing. I just can't see them actually rebuilding under Kobe's watch. Plus you guys got Randle coming back from injury so it's almost like you have a pick to play with here.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how many times have we seen a guy just go by himself and hope help is coming though?

that typically does not happen- it basically never happens[/QUOTE

No, never.

It would have to be a Collusion *cough* Buddy-ball situation.. ala the Heat with Bron, Bosh, Wade.:lol:

But, we know that never happens:whistle:

* whispers*

lebron, kyrie, Love:lol:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with TJF, I think they will keep the pick. They need help everywhere so if they get a wing, guard or big in the draft then it will greatly alter who they choose to go after in FA. Can't see them giving Jordan the max if they get Okafor for instance.

I dont really see a deal out there for the pick as of right now....it does not appear that a Love or Harden Or Howard type deal is out there- or i think they would consider it.

they turned down Randle for Rondo- so that makes me think they will continue to go young with this pick.

basically they can draft anything thats not a PF or a SG and they will be in good shape----

I think if you can get an elite 3- you get it. Its the hardest position in the league to acquire an elite level small forward.

You can get a point guard- and they have a higher rate of hitting in the draft- but point guards are not that hard to find a good one. There are point guards out there you can sign.

Getting an elite SF is down right near impossible- if you can draft one- and its allthe same to you- i think thatswhat you try and get

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how many times have we seen a guy just go by himself and hope help is coming though?

that typically does not happen- it basically never happens[/QUOTE

No, never.

It would have to be a Collusion *cough* Buddy-ball situation.. ala the Heat with Bron, Bosh, Wade.:lol:

But, we know that never happens:whistle:

* whispers*

lebron, kyrie, Love:lol:

yah.....there would have to be something worked out.

Even on the forum today a lot of people kept saying that Melo came only because Amare was tehre- its true Amare is maybe the one example of a guy going first- but with the scratch NYK threw at him compared to what he would get else where he kind of had to do the deal. When no one will insure your knees and someone is willing to give you a 5 year deal- you freaking take it. It ended up being a GREAT move for him.

but look around the league- Dwight came when Harden was there.

LeBron came when Kyrie was there and teh assets to get Love were there

LeBron went to Miami when Wade was there

KG dropped his no trade stance to Boston once they got Ray Allen -and PP was already there

Paul went to the Clips and agreed to waive his opt out since Griffin was there

of cours as we mentioned Melo to NYK with Amare there (while Amare was doing 25 and 10 and being run into the ground)

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say Cousins becomes available this summer.

Does LA offer something like Hill, their pick (top5) and a future 2nd rounder for Cousins? Then they'd still have enough cap space to go after someone like Reggie Jackson, Wesley Matthews or Goran Dragic.

If the right player becomes available and Kobe is healthy (relatively) then I'd be shocked if they didn't try to upgrade the roster with a trade and FA signing. I just can't see them actually rebuilding under Kobe's watch. Plus you guys got Randle coming back from injury so it's almost like you have a pick to play with here.

I don't think any guy in this draft class is as good as Cousins.

So, I bet that would be tempting.

But, I think they could land a decent big, a decent wing and keep that pick.

By decent I mean Al Jefferson/Reggie Jackson/Tobias Harris type.

I like Okafor and Towns.

But, Mudiay should be their pick if they land anywhere except #1 overall.

He has that it factor.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont really see a deal out there for the pick as of right now....it does not appear that a Love or Harden Or Howard type deal is out there- or i think they would consider it.

they turned down Randle for Rondo- so that makes me think they will continue to go young with this pick.

basically they can draft anything thats not a PF or a SG and they will be in good shape----

I think if you can get an elite 3- you get it. Its the hardest position in the league to acquire an elite level small forward.

You can get a point guard- and they have a higher rate of hitting in the draft- but point guards are not that hard to find a good one. There are point guards out there you can sign.

Getting an elite SF is down right near impossible- if you can draft one- and its allthe same to you- i think thatswhat you try and get

That's a pretty good point. There were some rumblings about Tobias Harris but we'd probably be talking about Chandler Parsons type money, so drafting a wing would be pretty great. I don't really watch college hoops so I really couldn't say, if the gap between Okafor/Mudiay and the rest of the class is large then it'd be difficult to pass on either of them given the opportunity.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah.....there would have to be something worked out.

Even on the forum today a lot of people kept saying that Melo came only because Amare was tehre- its true Amare is maybe the one example of a guy going first- but with the scratch NYK threw at him compared to what he would get else where he kind of had to do the deal. When no one will insure your knees and someone is willing to give you a 5 year deal- you freaking take it. It ended up being a GREAT move for him.

but look around the league- Dwight came when Harden was there.

LeBron came when Kyrie was there and teh assets to get Love were there

LeBron went to Miami when Wade was there

KG dropped his no trade stance to Boston once they got Ray Allen -and PP was already there

Paul went to the Clips and agreed to waive his opt out since Griffin was there

of cours as we mentioned Melo to NYK with Amare there (while Amare was doing 25 and 10 and being run into the ground)

I agree 100%.

That's why I said it would only take one top guy to agree to go to LA and NY and the lower Free Agents would have interest.

But, they would probably need to pursue multiple guys in tandem.

EX- If Phil reached out to Rondo, Monroe and David West to play with Melo..I think Rondo would be the guy they needed to convince. Once he was on board, Monroe and West would have interest...problem is..they would probably need to overpay Rondo.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an Arizona fan that follows CBB closely and has seen Stanley Johnson play every game this year.... I'm telling you guys, he's going to be a star in the league. I'd take him over anyone not named Okafor.

I've never seen a freshman built like him since LeBron. Not comparing the two, but a he's 6'7" freight train that can handle the ball like a guard and his shot is improving every day. I'm never a homer when it comes to NBA prospects on my college team, I knew D-Will's game wouldn't translate to the NBA well and that Aaron Gordon was a couple years away from being a very solid all-around starter in the league. Those two were both top 5 picks and maybe didn't deserve to be. But Stanley is built for the NBA, his game will translate flawlessly and I could see him being a perennial All-Star.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this post makes sense- especially the part about Kobe playing out next year and than resigning for a lesser salary.

I dont see Kobe retiring anytime soon. He is what? 36? I can see him playing till Duncans age of 39-40.....heck Jordan took a reduced role.

for a guy like Kobe who loves the game like he does I think he squezzes every last minute and every last point out of his career.

I think the Lakers would be lucky to have him back on like a 8 million dollar deal after next year- and for him to just be a really good offensive shooting guard that makes clutch shots and plays 25 minutes a game.

It's really hard to say with Kobe. The fact that he is evening talking about the end of his career is a little surprising. For the vast majority of his career, I figured he'd have to be carried out on his shield so to speak. But it seems like 3 season ending injuries in a row have him facing reality.

I think that his health will be the biggest factor along with how improved the team is. If he can make it through next season healthy, the Lakers make the playoffs and are able to improve enough in the off-season to be considered a contender, then I could see him coming back for another season or 2.

Otherwise, I think next year will be his last. I don't see him wanting to be 38-39 years old and playing on a lottery team.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really hard to say with Kobe. The fact that he is evening talking about the end of his career is a little surprising. For the vast majority of his career, I figured he'd have to be carried out on his shield so to speak. But it seems like 3 season ending injuries in a row have him facing reality.

I think that his health will be the biggest factor along with how improved the team is. If he can make it through next season healthy, the Lakers make the playoffs and are able to improve enough in the off-season to be considered a contender, then I could see him coming back for another season or 2.

Otherwise, I think next year will be his last. I don't see him wanting to be 38-39 years old and playing on a lottery team.

I agree to a certain extent- but when I think back on Jordan's last days in Washington- I find it hard to believe Kobe wont get every last ounce out of it he can- especially if he can do it with the Lakers and keep tolling points and keep climbing that list.

Jordan jokes that he would still come back- and half the time i believe him-

I dont think Kobe gives up anytime he would have playing in the league- but we shall see......if he is just continously hurt and miserable than if he retires it wouldnt surprise me. I think he plays until the wheels come off just like MJ did.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100%.

That's why I said it would only take one top guy to agree to go to LA and NY and the lower Free Agents would have interest.

But, they would probably need to pursue multiple guys in tandem.

EX- If Phil reached out to Rondo, Monroe and David West to play with Melo..I think Rondo would be the guy they needed to convince. Once he was on board, Monroe and West would have interest...problem is..they would probably need to overpay Rondo.

do you commit to a core of Rondo, Monroe and West though?

this is going to be the Lakeres dilemma....

if they dont get a Gasol or Alrdidge what do tehy do?

do they remain patient- or put together a team with like Dragic and Monroe making a combined 35 million as the headliners?

I think Dragic and Monroe would be very solid gets dont get me wrong- or Monroe and Rondo - or whatever- but is that worth it to tie up your cap room?

its a very fascinating question.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

do they remain patient- or put together a team with like Dragic and Monroe making a combined 35 million as the headliners?

I think Dragic and Monroe would be very solid gets dont get me wrong- or Monroe and Rondo - or whatever- but is that worth it to tie up your cap room?

I'd have zero problem with the Lakers landing Monroe and Dragic. A lineup of Kobe, Dragic, Randle and Monroe as 4 of the starting 5 would be very good to add pieces around. Plus, outside of Kobe, they're all young.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Lakers?

No.

But, it could work for the Knicks if Melo is healthy.

I think the Lakers will make their pitch to M Gasol.

Once it's clear he is staying in Memphis, they will go young.

I can see them pursuing Monroe and either, Jackson or Harris to go with that 1st rounder this year and Randle.

I don't think they will break the bank this Summer.

They could very well save some of that cash for 2016.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an Arizona fan that follows CBB closely and has seen Stanley Johnson play every game this year.... I'm telling you guys, he's going to be a star in the league. I'd take him over anyone not named Okafor.

I've never seen a freshman built like him since LeBron. Not comparing the two, but a he's 6'7" freight train that can handle the ball like a guard and his shot is improving every day. I'm never a homer when it comes to NBA prospects on my college team, I knew D-Will's game wouldn't translate to the NBA well and that Aaron Gordon was a couple years away from being a very solid all-around starter in the league. Those two were both top 5 picks and maybe didn't deserve to be. But Stanley is built for the NBA, his game will translate flawlessly and I could see him being a perennial All-Star.

He's pretty good.

But, I really like Mudiay.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of now I think it's likely Gasol returns to Memphis & Aldridge returns to Portland. You can almost count those two out as FA targets.

Monroe will be a hot commodity once those two (most likely) re-sign.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers?

No.

But, it could work for the Knicks if Melo is healthy.

I think the Lakers will make their pitch to M Gasol.

Once it's clear he is staying in Memphis, they will go young.

I can see them pursuing Monroe and either, Jackson or Harris to go with that 1st rounder this year and Randle.

I don't think they will break the bank this Summer.

They could very well save some of that cash for 2016.

I don't think they'll break the bank, but they don't have to shop in the clearance section either. Kobe's contract comes off the books after next season, so they will have that money to go after another top FA.

I love Marc Gasol and I certainly won't complain if the Lakers get him, but I think that I'd rather see them get Monroe or DeAndre (sorry) just because they are younger. I'd also love to see what spending a little time with Kareem in the off-season would do for either of their games.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a pretty good point. There were some rumblings about Tobias Harris but we'd probably be talking about Chandler Parsons type money, so drafting a wing would be pretty great. I don't really watch college hoops so I really couldn't say, if the gap between Okafor/Mudiay and the rest of the class is large then it'd be difficult to pass on either of them given the opportunity.

I think the top 5 guys are Okafor, Mudiay, D'Angelo Russell, Towns and Stanley Johnson in that order.

Nobody is passing on Okafor at #1.

If you have picks 2-5, the choices become harder.

A Team with their pg of the present or future will not pick Mudiay at #2 unless it's just to trade him for an extra pick.

So, that means Minny and Orlando would likely opt for a position of need.

Philly, Lakers or Knicks should be all over this guy.

It's pretty obvious the 6ers don't value MCW.

Ditto with the Jazz and Trey Burke because he's already on the trade block.