• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Suicide Squad (2016)

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But she was HORRIBLE in Joy. Can't believe she got a nomination for that one.

She was "decent" but she certainly got a bounce because of Winters Bone, Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle etc. She's been in popular films like the Hunger Games and X-Men.. She's done a lot of good "stuff"

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She was "decent" but she certainly got a bounce because of Winters Bone, Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle etc. She's been in popular films like the Hunger Games and X-Men.. She's done a lot of good "stuff"
I think she is decent, and for the most part, picks fun roles in movies I enjoy.

But Joy was a horrible movie and her acting in it was NOT Oscar-worthy on any level.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have a hard time believing this can be good if it's pg-13

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have a hard time believing this can be good if it's pg-13

Exactly. But it was in production before Deadpool proved everyone of the hollyweird beancounters wrong that you could make a profitable R rated movie based on mainstream comics. In deadpools case, a shitload of money.

To create a movie that's a collection of some of the most violent sociopath criminals in the DC universe, and then slap a PG13 rating on it. It's like why freaking bother?

Everything in Hollywood these days is about landing the PG-13 rating to maximize profits.

I'm also sick to death of waiting for this movie to come out. They dragged it out way too long and reports are that it's not terrible, but not all that great either.

This movie is like when a car manufacturer announces a well received concept will go into production that looked groundbreaking, but they wait years and years to finally bring it to market. By the time it arrives, much of the excitement around it has faded, the technology is no longer groundbreaking, and it doesn't really stand out from the competition in anyway.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. But it was in production before Deadpool proved everyone of the hollyweird beancounters wrong that you could make a profitable R rated movie based on mainstream comics. In deadpools case, a shitload of money.

To create a movie that's a collection of some of the most violent sociopath criminals in the DC universe, and then slap a PG13 rating on it. It's like why freaking bother?

Everything in Hollywood these days is about landing the PG-13 rating to maximize profits.

I'm also sick to death of waiting for this movie to come out. They dragged it out way too long and reports are that it's not terrible, but not all that great either.

This movie is like when a car manufacturer announces a well received concept will go into production that looked groundbreaking, but they wait years and years to finally bring it to market. By the time it arrives, much of the excitement around it has faded, the technology is no longer groundbreaking, and it doesn't really stand out from the competition in anyway.

I would say as long as the film is above average when critics rate it DC will be fine. After their last few comic movies have been panned by critics(even if they did make a bunch of money) they need a strong hit to really come out of this ok and feeling good about the future. It doesn't have to 80% and above but as long as it's fresh on RT and green or high yellow on Metacritic they will be fine.

A lot of people only listen to critics when judging a movie and whether it's worth seeing the theater or not so DC needs a real critically acclaimed movie to win back some of the people who gave up after critics hated BvS.

Shaggy

Administrator
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say as long as the film is above average when critics rate it DC will be fine. After their last few comic movies have been panned by critics(even if they did make a bunch of money) they need a strong hit to really come out of this ok and feeling good about the future. It doesn't have to 80% and above but as long as it's fresh on RT and green or high yellow on Metacritic they will be fine.

A lot of people only listen to critics when judging a movie and whether it's worth seeing the theater or not so DC needs a real critically acclaimed movie to win back some of the people who gave up after critics hated BvS.

I never listen to the critics. It seems every time a movie is blasted by them, I end up loving it.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is also late to reality. Its just Jamie, not Jamie Lee.:gaah:

She'll always be Jamie Lee to me, even if that's not her name that's what I've always called her and it just sounds right to me.

Just like how James Franco's younger brother will always be Young Franco to me and not Dave Franco. I know his real name but I call him what i call him.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really luke warm on this.

It has excellent source material and an excellent trailer but its a DC movie that is going to try and do way too much and we all know that is going to end poorly. We already have 3 A+ Jokers in Batman movie lore so they are burying Joker in the movie but we've got Deadshot and Harley Quinn which odds are they are going to change in some drastic way and I'm not sure I'm looking forward to that.

At the same time, I should be hoping that they creatively blaze their own trail with that cast of characters. They won't. The question will be if the Deadpool/Escape from Arkham imitation will be good enough to matter.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh oh.

Critics going full negative on the movie so far. Could it actually be worse than Batman v Superman? I really hope we aren't looking at more DC gold being flushed down the toilet.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh oh.

Critics going full negative on the movie so far. Could it actually be worse than Batman v Superman? I really hope we aren't looking at more DC gold being flushed down the toilet.

I just read that as well.

I think there are few factors that are playing into their opinions:

-Some of the critics are compensating for all the negative reactions Ghostbusters got from the public when the vast majority of these critics disingenuously gave it a "fresh" or very good rating.

-Comic book movie fatigue & snobbery.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been reading unfavorable ratings/reviews.

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rolling Stone says it makes the Fantastic Four look good. Uh oh, I have a bad feeling about this...

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh oh.

This was my fear after BvS. I recall thinking the first Suicide Squad trailer was okay, BvS dropped while getting ripped, and then the second Suicide Squad trailer seemed to have a far more fun tone. Then there was the rumors of reshoots, which isn't uncommon, but with DC and WB it makes one wonder.

I'm not condemning this one yet by any means, but if this flops, they better move up that Batman release date because I highly suspect WW is going to be garbage and I'm not sold on JL yet.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never listen to the critics. It seems every time a movie is blasted by them, I end up loving it.
i can't remember ever watching a movie with below a 75% or so or rotten tomatoes and enjoying it in any way.

the standards for a positive review on that site are so low, lol.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blame Marvel for the genre fatigue and bored critics. It's been the same plotline over and over again. They found a early formula that works for box office revenue, but it's now like flogging a dead horse.

DC is simply later to the game and getting caught under the fatigue bus. I like the look of the movies they're doing, but the critics aren't going to do them any favors. Dead pool proved audiences are hungry for something original and non-PG13 out of these things.

That being said. Suicide squad appears to suffer from what should of been an auto R rated script and production if your going to present this many violent criminal villians in a movie, but instead they went PG-13 for the money grab and it ended up albatrossing it by "camping" up their behavior.

Fucking stupid Hollywood money grab concept. What a waste.

Shaggy

Administrator
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I rarely every listen to critics. I always seem to enjoy a movie that critics destroy.

What was rotten tomatoes numbers when Guardians of the Galaxy came out?