• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Suicide Squad (2016)

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting read on the fantastic four like dysfunction that went on with this project and why it had soo many issues getting to a final cut and released. This story is getting way to familiar out of DC lately.

Warner Bros. Completely Fucked Up 'Suicide Squad' Because They Got Scared

The hate in that blog is unreal, the guy sounds like a bitter ex-employee or something because he's incredibly angry at something he hasn't even seen.

Obviously everyone's opinions are different but I've spoken with several people who hated and despised BvS and they are saying how much they love this movie. Of course they don't speak for everyone but considering how many of them were cursing out WB after BvS to suddenly talking up this movie makes me think the majority of the critics were wrong.

In fact there was one critic review I read on Rotten Tomatoes that while he was hating the movie the entire theater of people he was seeing it with was loving it, and if that doesn't show you the disconnect between critics and fans I don't know what will.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The main villain wasn't your typical superhero bad guy that we've seen 100 times in these types of movies.

Really? Mindless, pointless, creating a giant cloud of destruction in the sky over a city, and makes an army of easily defeated drones. Sounds like Ultron, The Chitari, and Malikith to me.

4/10 for me. No comic book movie fatigue here. I love these things, but this was just bad.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be honest, this review is what I expected for this movie.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, its what I expected after BvS but the source material was really easy to transfer to the big screen. Joker, Harley Quinn and a rat tag bunch of villains walking the line while working for the man. That should be an easy script. I'd give the animated film a B or B+.

SUICIDE Squad had one of the best trailers this year. It has legitimate actors. The Batman universe probably translates to film better than any other comic universe.

Now we are left with Hot Topic the movie. This reminds me of when Dominos announced they had everything right except that their pizza sucked.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You can take everything YMS said and apply it to the other side as well. People only shitting on the movie because it's cool to do so, using the critics reviews as a way to justify hating it, and rating it a 1 before it even comes out.

Even people who thought the movie was average said the critics were way off and it deserves more than a 25% on RT, and that's coming from people who thought it was average.

Even the people who didn't like it in this thread gave it a 2/5 or 4/10 which is 40%. The critics are shitting on this movie to the point that even people who didn't like it think it deserves better.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can take everything YMS said and apply it to the other side as well. People only shitting on the movie because it's cool to do so, using the critics reviews as a way to justify hating it, and rating it a 1 before it even comes out.

Even people who thought the movie was average said the critics were way off and it deserves more than a 25% on RT, and that's coming from people who thought it was average.

Even the people who didn't like it in this thread gave it a 2/5 or 4/10 which is 40%. The critics are shitting on this movie to the point that even people who didn't like it think it deserves better.
Honestly, Rotten Tomatoes is officially crap in my book.

Ghostbusters average rating is 6.5/10 with a 73%
Lights Out average rating is 6.3/10 with a 76%
Secret Life of Pets average rating is 6.2/10 with a 75%
Bourne average rating is 5.9/10 with a 57%
Killing Joke average rating is 5.9/10 with a 53%
Bad Moms average rating is 5.7/10 with a 63%
Suicide Squad average rating is 4.7/10 with a 26%

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's definitely not good, but it wasn't awful either. Just maybe on the low side of average but I understand how someone could hate it. BvS was a better movie IMO and I really didn't expect to be saving that.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, Rotten Tomatoes is officially crap in my book.

Ghostbusters average rating is 6.5/10 with a 73%
Lights Out average rating is 6.3/10 with a 76%
Secret Life of Pets average rating is 6.2/10 with a 75%
Bourne average rating is 5.9/10 with a 57%
Killing Joke average rating is 5.9/10 with a 53%
Bad Moms average rating is 5.7/10 with a 63%
Suicide Squad average rating is 4.7/10 with a 26%

You understand that Rotten Tomatoes simply aggregates the scores of critics and doesn't score the films themselves, right? How exactly is is RT crap and not the critics themselves? They aren't employed by RT or anything.

Shaggy

Administrator
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we use the spoiler tags here??

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You understand that Rotten Tomatoes simply aggregates the scores of critics and doesn't score the films themselves, right? How exactly is is RT crap and not the critics themselves? They aren't employed by RT or anything.
They are crap because they promote the number of people that liked it and not the overall average. The overall average is a better indication of what the consensus feels.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we use the spoiler tags here??

Usually once the movie's been out for a few days we don't. Coming into a thread about movies is enter at your own risk especially if you haven't seen it.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm getting the impression quite a few people out there don't understand this fact.

As it relates to the DC Universe, I think some people are unaware that Warner Brothers is invested in Fandango (a 30% shareholder that used to own Fandango outright until early 2016), whom owns Rotten Tomatoes and that's been the case since before BvS was screened. So if anything, it would arguably make more sense if there was a conspiracy to rate these movies unusually well, ignoring the actual quality of the movies.

I think the easiest answer is the most likely one in regards to the recent DC flicks. I believe many critics either honestly don't like them, or simply them okay, because that's their honest opinion. Fans of these movie shouldn't care as long as the movies keep making tons of money. They're basically like Transformers of the Fast and Furious franchise. They can be steaming piles of crap, but if these steaming piles are killing it at the box office, we'll keep getting them no matter what critics think.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw it tonight. It nowhere near as bad as the critics have been slamming it. It's not greatness, but if I was to give it a rating I'd give it a 7 out of 10. I can appreciate that it was a very daring move to use this storyline for a movie.

The casting was actually done very well. The performances were flat in many areas, but whatever....

It was dark. I think there is only 3-5 minutes at most that you see any daylight in this movie. Your either indoors or at nighttime. I got no problem with this. It helped set the mood. But this is a movie you watch during the evening hours. Watching it during the day, even in the later afternoon like I did, it doesn't feel right.

The main villains just didn't come across well. Enchantress really stood out in the beginning, but her and her bro really ended up looking like clowns at the end. And an explosive charge takes him out at the end after basically being presented as a god. Seriously?

The fight scenes once they enter the city was just terribly presented. Each one was just a blur where you couldn't make out anything. That's where you really suffer with the PG-13 rating. The minions of enchantress of whatever you would call them were just so easily beatable.

Liked the soundtrack. It fit most of the time really well.

The editing was not good. It really suffered there.

The list could go on to nitpick, but in the end, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Simply because many of these characters are characters you wouldn't normally see in most comic based movies and it was a fresh presentation.

It would of been better presented as an R movie. But overall, not great, but not terrible.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw it yesterday. I like it. Like most movies, it had its flaws, but I'd give it a solid 6.5 out of 10. Not sure what the critics are watching, but the reviews are WAY off base imo.

I like Robbie's role as Harley Quinn—good, not great. Her accent faded in and out and I expected her to be a bit more physically dangerous. Will Smith was good as Deadshot, and had some typical Will Smith one-liners. Diablo is the secret star of the show imo. His backstory and the CGI was really well done with him. By the end, he was one of the guys you actually cared about (tough in an ensemble movie).

Unlike most of the fanboys out there, I loved Leto's version of the Joker. He's only in the movie for a few minutes, but it was good. The version is a mixture of Romero, Nicholson, and Ledger. He's got Romero's Joker laugh and Nicholson's over the top costuming and suave delivery/demeanor to go with Ledger's unpredictable insanity.

I liked that the villain, Enchantress was so different in appearance than other superhero villians, but I agree with Regent that Enchantress just wasn't done very well. She started out good and scary, but by the end, the CGI on her wasn't as good. Her army was too easily beaten and her plan for destruction wasn't really well-explained. Still, as others have pointed out, just how scarey/powerful/well-done was magneto's evil plan in Xmen1, the army in Avengers, the villain in Thor 2, or Ultron himself?

I think the movie was restrained by the PG13 rating. I'd have loved to have seen a stronger level of violence from a group of B-level supervillians. It wasn't a great superhero movie (only 3 or 4 of those), but overall it was good and I liked it. When it hits bluray, I'll buy one.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7/10

I saw this on Saturday. I liked it a lot. The constraints of being PG-13 kept this movie from being great. The movie had the right amount of The Bat in it while also leaving breadcrumbs for future DC universe movies.

As others have stated, the only issues I had were the ending & the editing.

I really do think the most of the negative reviews are biased due to comic book fatigue & backlash to the how Ghostbusters was received by the general public.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never listen to critics. Critics go to movies and think about every nuance of the film. I go to a film and turn my brain off, which makes it more entertaining. That fundamental difference makes a critics opinion useless to me. I thought SS was entertaining.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to check it out tonight. Hoping it isn't another Batman vs. Superman, but looking at the 2nd week drop it isn't looking great for it. 80% or something drop from the first weekend which is right there with that and just insane. I didn't mind BvS, just was hoping for a lot more for something like that.

Hard to say the critics are wrong when it blows up out of the gate drops that hard. Shows everyone ignored the critics to go see it but word of mouth or going back to see it again is what's killing it. The proof is kind of in the pudding for the general audience there no matter what your personal feelings for it are.

I'll probably enjoy it, I do like the characters. But I've got to be honest, with those previews and marketing I was going in with a very high level of expectation just like Batman... reviews and word of mouth have tempered that some.

I have no horse in the race. I like movies and TV shows from both.

I am not a fan of the new Xmen or fantastic fours or spidermen movies. I'm not a fan of the new BvS or Superman. Not a fan of agents of shield or Gotham.

I do like the avengers and guardians, and the Nolan Batman and Watchmen.
I do like the netflix Marvel tv shows and Arrow/Flash.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I will say I think a biggest part of the problem is DC is a step behind on the movie side of things.

Going into Superman, you have the iconic tentpole character so you are basing how you view it in comparison to Ironman, Nolans Batman and Captain America.

Going into BvS you have the top characters overcoming differences then beating the bad guy so you are basing it in comparison to Avengers and X-men.

Going into Suicide Squad you have the antihero movie, and basing it in comparison to Deadpool or Guardians.

Had DC beaten Marvel to the punch on those, I think the critics would have seen them in a fresher light, but following a similar movie in those cases you need to improve on that, and so far of the two I've seen I don't think they have.

Great is great when you are the first one doing it. Great is only good when you are trying to follow it up. Same for the teenage hero dystopia movies. Had Divergent beaten hunger games to the punch I don't think it would be stuck with a made for TV finale.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to check it out tonight. Hoping it isn't another Batman vs. Superman, but looking at the 2nd week drop it isn't looking great for it. 80% or something drop from the first weekend which is right there with that and just insane. I didn't mind BvS, just was hoping for a lot more for something like that.

Hard to say the critics are wrong when it blows up out of the gate drops that hard. Shows everyone ignored the critics to go see it but word of mouth or going back to see it again is what's killing it. The proof is kind of in the pudding for the general audience there no matter what your personal feelings for it are.

I'll probably enjoy it, I do like the characters. But I've got to be honest, with those previews and marketing I was going in with a very high level of expectation just like Batman... reviews and word of mouth have tempered that some.

I have no horse in the race. I like movies and TV shows from both.

I am not a fan of the new Xmen or fantastic fours or spidermen movies. I'm not a fan of the new BvS or Superman. Not a fan of agents of shield or Gotham.

I do like the avengers and guardians, and the Nolan Batman and Watchmen.
I do like the netflix Marvel tv shows and Arrow/Flash.

SS is dark, similar to BvS. But there is enough humor to offset that the dark scenery & storytelling. I didn't like either BvS or Apocalypse, but I thought SS was pretty good. It could have been better, but it was good enough that I enjoyed it.

The 80% drop is the Friday vs Friday estimate, not a weekend drop. Heck, even Civil War dropped 75% from opening Friday versus it's second Friday. It's not surprising to have a large Friday drop after having a huge opening weekend.

Just don't go in expecting to see a lot of The Bat or Mr. J. For some reason, mainly the trailer I guess, some movie goers going in to see SS come away disappointed that neither are the part of the main focus of the movie.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The latest articles I've read seem to indicate the drop in weekend two shouldn't have been unexpected and it's looking closer to 67%-68%, which is basically what DC movies seem to do in weekend two. What would bum me out if I'm WB is that Sausage Party is the movie derailing Suicide Squad and not something that might actually be entertaining. This one is still making plenty of money and the WB is still committed to making this thing work, so I don't think fans that are desperate for DC on the big screen have to worry about WB giving up anytime soon.