• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stupid News

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In that respect, $460 is fair for labor and parts to include 4 plugs, 4 wires, and 4 coils.
The tune up is important for sure, and should be included in spark plug change. But still the quote sounds very high, near BMW 6-cylinder cost for same job at the dealer.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya gotta make sure that they are set right. Today, most come preset. Dealers charge on an hourly chart basis. $460 is a bit over the top for changing six plugs. That's about $70+ a plug total.. My guess is that they were charging you about $30 a plug ($180) Looks like about 3 hours labor ($300). Take it to a local one man garage and you'll pay $100-$150 and be supporting a local business.
If a mechanic took 3 hours to change 4/6 plugs I'd find a new mechanic. Even if he was changing the sparkplug wires and distributor cap. Walking back and forth to the supply room for each item individually.

Hell, I'll do it for $200

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a mechanic took 3 hours to change 4/6 plugs I'd find a new mechanic. Even if he was changing the sparkplug wires and distributor cap. Walking back and forth to the supply room for each item individually.

Hell, I'll do it for $200
From what I’ve heard from Honda owners in car forums, their maintenance cost sky rocket when out of warranty. Most brands nowadays include at least 3 years of maintenance, which includes oil changes, tune ups, brakes, and all the minor stuff.

Of course, there are mileage limits on those maintenance warranties. I bought extended warranty for 5 years on the bimmer, but have only cashed in on yearly oil changes, 1 tune up with spark plugs, a bunch of minor stuff, but no brakes. Brake pads last forever these days if you don’t track. Mine have lasted 5 years and the rears say there is still 20k miles left.

Car only has 30k miles on odo in 5 years. Need to drive more.

Last edited:

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I’ve heard from Honda owners in car forums, their maintenance cost sky rocket when out of warranty. Most brands nowadays include at least 3 years of maintenance, which includes oil changes, tune ups, brakes, and all the minor stuff.

Of course, there are mileage limits on those maintenance warranties. I bought extended warranty for 5 years on the bimmer, but have only cashed in on yearly oil changes, 1 tune up with spark plugs, a bunch of minor stuff, but no brakes. Brake pads last forever these days if you don’t track. Mine have lasted 5 years and the rears say there is still 20k miles left.

That's the thing, if their car isn't under warranty any longer take it to a trust worthy neighborhood mechanic. Dealerships kill you on the cost of everything.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even with the other crap i wouldnt call 460 for a tune up reasonable:suds:
While I agree...this times 4...plus plugs and labor there.

Ignition Coil Replacement Service

How much does a Ignition Coil Replacement cost?

On average, the cost for a Honda Civic Ignition Coil Replacement is $116 with $21 for parts and $95 for labor. Prices may vary depending on your location.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Reminds me...

The mechanic, the service tech, the service manager, the parts salesman, the parts manager and the even the sales manager ALL make commission on upsells in the service department, at least at Honda dealerships.

An old friend of mine from high school was the service manager for a Honda dealership back in VT. He told me one day when I was visiting that his salary was well over $80k per year. This was...12 years ago?...and he said he hade almost one and a half times that in commission for whatever a mechanic could find to add to the bill. Tune ups, transmission flush, brake pads. and everybody up the line gets a cut of the profit.

Story ends with my old buddy lost his job due to opiate addiction...so there is that.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the thing, if their car isn't under warranty any longer take it to a trust worthy neighborhood mechanic. Dealerships kill you on the cost of everything.
Finding that trustworthy neighborhood mechanic can be a nightmare as well.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I worked for SEACO Ins. Corp. for three years.

We insured one line. Automobile Dealerships and nothing else.

I learned more about insurance AND Auto dealers in those three years than I did in the other 20 years I was involved.

Never had to worry about the new vehicles because the manufacturer holds all those marbles. Liability, workers comp and used inventory was our piece of the pie. I could tell a novel about the stupid shit that happens and could barely write a page on the really good stuff.

One guy that was constant pain in the ass parked two gigantic dump trucks with lights and flags on both sides of his entrance. In just two weeks, he had three test drive accidents and four customer accidents. Think he'd move those traffic obstructions? Not until Ford threatened to take his franchise away because one customer decided to sue Ford. Same guy told me to fry my ass when I told him that his 12 year old boy could not legally drive any vehicle on his lot. We refused to pay any damages when the kid smashed a Hummer he was driving into a woman's VW as she entered the lot.

Dealerships will suck you dry and smile the entire time.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I worked for SEACO Ins. Corp. for three years.

We insured one line. Automobile Dealerships and nothing else.

I learned more about insurance AND Auto dealers in those three years than I did in the other 20 years I was involved.

Never had to worry about the new vehicles because the manufacturer holds all those marbles. Liability, workers comp and used inventory was our piece of the pie. I could tell a novel about the stupid shit that happens and could barely write a page on the really good stuff.

One guy that was constant pain in the ass parked two gigantic dump trucks with lights and flags on both sides of his entrance. In just two weeks, he had three test drive accidents and four customer accidents. Think he'd move those traffic obstructions? Not until Ford threatened to take his franchise away because one customer decided to sue Ford. Same guy told me to fry my ass when I told him that his 12 year old boy could not legally drive any vehicle on his lot. We refused to pay any damages when the kid smashed a Hummer he was driving into a woman's VW as she entered the lot.

Dealerships will suck you dry and smile the entire time.
Generally speaking I like being sucked dry.

I pretty much purchase my cars through my credit union anymore. I just contact them tell them what I want they tell me to go pick it up

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pretty much purchase my cars through my credit union anymore.
I love doing business with mine. Been with them since 1985. They never say, "We'll let you know," It's always been, "How much do you need?"

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With a little help from You tube I do all my own work other than tires and alignment but I like doing it. Having all the tools helps to.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love doing business with mine. Been with them since 1985. They never say, "We'll let you know," It's always been, "How much do you need?"
Pretty much the same for me I use PENFED have since about 85 maybe 87 either way a long time.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With a little help from You tube I do all my own work other than tires and alignment but I like doing it. Having all the tools helps to.
Yeah my kids 02 Highlander needed a Mass Flor Air Sensor I youtubed that and told him," Dude look it up on you tube you can do this"

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, best to go to independent mechanic who knows the brand, after warranty expires. That said, spark plug change is pretty easy task for DIY if you have the tools and like doing that stuff.

Even the oil change is easy, but again, need the tools and some sort of a ramp to do it properly.
Ford pickups with the Triton motor should not be tried by less than professionaly mechanics with knowledge of this motor.
It takes special tools, you will break the plugs and not be able to get them out, It could get very expensive in a hurry!
Good thing is you will likely not ever have to do it again.

There are private shops that know these engines and charge a lot less.
Communitieslike farming areas with a lot of trucks breed good mechanics.
The Ford Dealers around where I now live are having a hard time staffing qualified mechanics!

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm very unusual, it seems.
I'm a very good mechanic but I hate working on cars!
I don't do any of my work any more!

I have rebuilt car motors, boat motors, diesel truck motors, diesel tractors and motorcycles.
I won't work on my F'n lwanmower any more!

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm very unusual, it seems.
I'm a very good mechanic but I hate working on cars!
I don't do any of my work any more!

I have rebuilt car motors, boat motors, diesel truck motors, diesel tractors and motorcycles.
I won't work on my F'n lwanmower any more!
I'm right in the same boat, except my son is now coming around to liking the feeling of doing it himself, so we bond over vehicles that need something done.
But if it wasn't for him, I'd have a hard time even changing the clock for daylight savings time.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any excuse to get a new tool is great but some of the "tools" Mrs Carnzo gets me are useless.

The magnetic armband comes to mind lol.
Aaron Paul What GIF by Breaking Bad