• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stupid News

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Agree completely.
2) I think betting on a game you're playing in should be a big No No. Too much gray area to be questioned. Other games I don't care about at all. But games you play in should be shunned.
2) Again, If he bet to win, it's not like he's going to try and throw the game.
But other than that, I agree.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) prohibited by players under 21
Why? you're old enough to be told to risk your life for someone else's beliefs, yet you cannot place a bet???

2) six of which were LSU games
And?? Did he bet to win or lose? Is there any proof that he bet to lose and played to lose? Or did he bet to win and play to win?
Apparently he bet on hinself to score touchdowns. Made $400,000.
That's like crack to a college student.....

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So...tell me what the crime was and who got hurt by this?
I wouldn't condone gambling at all. It's fine for those who can handle it but is addictive and dangerous for too many. But as it relates here, there are degrees of impact when gambling in a closed environment (as in, where you are participating). First off, throwing a game is clearly criminal. Then there's a slightly less criminal action of shaving a few points, which from a gambling perspective really is the equivalent of throwing a game. Betting on yourself however does not alter the integrity of the game. But what it can do is alter gambling habits from others who know what you are doing.

This was the crux with Pete Rose. To my knowledge there wasn't any game fixing allegations with him, however, the way he bet his team to win, or when he didn't bet (interpreted as expecting a loss) altered the betting angles.

Boutte altering a betting line? Not likely. But you can't let him off without any consequences. Plead him down to another misdemeanor crime with community service and cut the bait there.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't condone gambling at all. It's fine for those who can handle it but is addictive and dangerous for too many. But as it relates here, there are degrees of impact when gambling in a closed environment (as in, where you are participating). First off, throwing a game is clearly criminal. Then there's a slightly less criminal action of shaving a few points, which from a gambling perspective really is the equivalent of throwing a game. Betting on yourself however does not alter the integrity of the game. But what it can do is alter gambling habits from others who know what you are doing.

This was the crux with Pete Rose. To my knowledge there wasn't any game fixing allegations with him, however, the way he bet his team to win, or when he didn't bet (interpreted as expecting a loss) altered the betting angles.

Boutte altering a betting line? Not likely. But you can't let him off without any consequences. Plead him down to another misdemeanor crime with community service and cut the bait there.
Well said.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdy will join Tom in two weeks.

Prediction: Greenlaw sends Mahomes off the field either on a cart or a gurney.
Mahomes doesn't take hits. I recall ankle injuries for Mahomes though he might have learned from a concussion early on.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many god damn mistakes can an article make? I stopped reading after the first paragraph when it referred to Brady as a rookie when he took over for Bledsoe, then referred to Bledsoe's injury as "season ending".
How about editing mistakes? Bad enough to be incorrect, even worse to have an editor that's even less knowledgeable.

Then again, who the hell is "essentiallysports.com"???

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about editing mistakes? Bad enough to be incorrect, even worse to have an editor that's even less knowledgeable.

Then again, who the hell is "essentiallysports.com"???
Nobody hires editors anymore.
Reorters are expected to edit them- selves with mixed but predictedable results

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many god damn mistakes can an article make? I stopped reading after the first paragraph when it referred to Brady as a rookie when he took over for Bledsoe, then referred to Bledsoe's injury as "season ending".

Cool.
Thanks for the heads up.

No clicks from me.