• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

STFU and play Chris Culliver

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My aunt's philosophy is to teach her child that the bible is just a collection of fairy tales with some worthy moral stories. And that she can believe what she wants when she grows up. I personally think that will dissuade belief, not there's anything wrong with that, it's just going to shape her. To say so otherwise, I disagree. Unless she meets a religious guy to marry or has some event in her life, often tragic, to pull her to God, she will be a non-believer. But I also don't think that my aunt has to teach her that the bible is true. She's trying to strike a balance. Her husband is Jewish and my cousin went to a Jewish school (who accepted non-Jews, too) but my uncle, only observes Hanukah. The cousin went to a Christian middle school and now is in a public school with honors (a good one).

I have heard the opposite, where you raise your kid in a way that presents the religion to them and see how they go. If they go for it, embrace it. If not, let it go. I haven't decided on how to raise my daughter yet, but I know that I can't go wrong if I teach her that she is responsible for her life and hers alone, that I respect whatever she decides to believe, choose to highlight the positives of those beliefs, and teach a general respect for all people.

I think you have an excellent plan. You should right a book, you are very insightful to say the least.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funny thing Bem, ALL REAL Christians agree with you totally. People think if you believe in God, you are religious or believe in religion. Real Christians only believe in having a relationship with Christ.

Okay, question - so 'Real Christians' do not harbor the belief that "they" are the chosen ones and all other religions are doomed to hell?

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you for sharing this. I appreciate it and this will definitely help me as a teaching tool for my own children. I like to teach them they do have options/choices and do not have to believe what I believe.

I agree, they shouldnt worry about whom they piss off and no one should be pissed off in the first place. I guess i will never understand why others would be concerned with something that doesnt effect their quality of life?

You sound like a great dad.

101flyboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wanted to say to 101flyboy, and you don't have to respond here (I can't message you yet), that if you are one of the regulars and felt like you had to create a new handle for your discussions here and revelation of your orientation, I think and hope you know most of us would accept you the same as any straight poster. Those who wouldn't just talk football or have civil discussions with you are out of place. If you are a regular here and want to respond, feel free to respond with your real handle (because new handle does not have messaging capabilities, yet) in a private message, or here as 101flyboy (even if you're a newbie).
No, I'm new here! But I am glad that you said this and that at least a lot of people here are inclusive and accepting. It's hard because a lot of gay people I know do lie about being straight over the PC on message boards, or in debates regarding gay rights. There is really a lot, a lot of fear, still, and insecurity, that comes with simply saying "I'm gay". It should be easy but it isn't, in any circumstance, because you just never know what's going to happen. I hope any poster that is a regular and is in the closet reads this and knows that there are people here that will accept and embrace them as they are and there is no reason to hide.

101flyboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gay rights shouldn't have been brought up in the first place on the super bowl stage.
It was brought up because Artie Lange likes controversy, and Kwame Harris was just outed a few days ago.

dude from the ravens is was dumb to do it and culliver was dumb to even talk about it. all u gay rights people save ur comments about insensitivity. i have a gay sister and a gay uncle. i dont hate gays or have a problem with them. i do however have a problem when the gay agenda gets shoved down our throats whether we like it or not.
So you don't have a problem with gay people, but only when we fight for our rights or speak out against those who condemn our very being? You know, having gay family members doesn't make you accepting. Not hating gay people doesn't mean you're accepting. No-one is asking you to like anything but what's clear is that the lack of acceptance of gay people in certain cultures and communities is leading to very severe consequences for those gay individuals. No-one should be OK with that.

101flyboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, I am for gay rights and equality.

Secondly, the message should be that, people should agree to disagree and love/respect one another on the grounds of indifference.

You seem to fit in the mold of, only your Opinion matters and everyone should have the same view point as yourself? You dont see it but you are no different than those who dont respect what you believe in your heart is right.

If a Christian believes in their heart that the Word of God is knowledge and wisdom, who are you to say, they are indoctrinated in to believing ignorance? Why not just say, I dont believe in your god, or i disagree with your God?

You are expressing an adverse judgement on those who believe what they believe, how is that not condemning them?
It's not about people having a different belief or holding an opinion I disagree with. Ultimately, I'm just another guy in the world and my opinion doesn't hold that much weight.

The problem is that there are beliefs that are leading to the constant, continuing systematic discrimination against people who are non-straight, and that isn't OK and there isn't a good excuse for it. Whether it's religion, where it's simply being raised into believing that way, it makes those views understandable, but excusable? It's not excusable.

That is the problem. There is too much conditional respect, conditional tolerance, and not enough real acceptance. ACCEPTANCE is key, and you can still hold a certain belief system while being accepting of people regardless of orientation, or whatever is in question. Ultimately it isn't my place or the place of others to give their approval or disapproval of something that ultimately isn't about them. It isn't my place. You can disapprove individually of something but that's your beliefs and yours only, and it's a belief that cannot be imposed on people who are asking for nothing more than to be able to live their lives without stigma and fear.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are people still talking about this? Cully holds the right to think/say whatever the fuck he wants to think/say. People need to get the hell over it.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are people still talking about this? Cully holds the right to think/say whatever the fuck he wants to think/say. People need to get the hell over it.

Because it was FUCKING STUPID to exercise that right during SB week - and keep in mind, just because one may have the RIGHT to do or say something doesn't make it RIGHT to do or say it.

Cully's juvenile decision to exercise his freedom of speech has caused the President of the 49ers to have to issue a public apology - So how about you getting with the program. We don't need this shit going on right now!

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not about people having a different belief or holding an opinion I disagree with. Ultimately, I'm just another guy in the world and my opinion doesn't hold that much weight.

The problem is that there are beliefs that are leading to the constant, continuing systematic discrimination against people who are non-straight, and that isn't OK and there isn't a good excuse for it. Whether it's religion, where it's simply being raised into believing that way, it makes those views understandable, but excusable? It's not excusable.

That is the problem. There is too much conditional respect, conditional tolerance, and not enough real acceptance. ACCEPTANCE is key, and you can still hold a certain belief system while being accepting of people regardless of orientation, or whatever is in question. Ultimately it isn't my place or the place of others to give their approval or disapproval of something that ultimately isn't about them. It isn't my place. You can disapprove individually of something but that's your beliefs and yours only, and it's a belief that cannot be imposed on people who are asking for nothing more than to be able to live their lives without stigma and fear.

I agree totally, and this makes more sense to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it was FUCKING STUPID to exercise that right during SB week - and keep in mind, just because one may have the RIGHT to do or say something doesn't make it RIGHT to do or say it.

Cully's juvenile decision to exercise his freedom of speech has caused the President of the 49ers to have to issue a public apology - So how about you getting with the program. We don't need this shit going on right now!

Culliver is a young, second year player that was baited into answering a political question. His answer was dumb and untimely, but it's HIS opinion. People in general need to get the hell over it. This is America. Freedom of speech. He can say and feel whatever he wants to say and feel.

Groupthink and political correctness have plagued this society enough already.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it's ok to take the initiative and speak out in support of the gay lifestyle (Brendon Ayanbadejo), but it's not ok to say you're against it if a reporter goes up and asks you about it?

Double standard anyone?

He didn't apologize because it was right or wrong. He apologized because of money. Money isn't bound by the 1st amendment.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Culliver is a young, second year player that was baited into answering a political question. His answer was dumb and untimely, but it's HIS opinion. People in general need to get the hell over it. This is America. Freedom of speech. He can say and feel whatever he wants to say and feel.

Couple points of clarification, they weren't political questions they were personal questions, which serves to reinforce his 1st amendment right - I just wish he had the better sense to save those comments for after Sunday and it looks like we agree on that point.

We also agree on the whole PC issue as well - enough "Happy Holidays" - it's Merry Christmas, etc. As for groupthink we may have different definitions of what groupthink means as I don't have a problem with groupthink.

That said, at some point in time if we are to honestly consider ourselves members of a civilized society then we need to strike a balance between what are our rights and what is right. I know, easier said than done.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple points of clarification, they weren't political questions they were personal questions, which serves to reinforce his 1st amendment right - I just wish he had the better sense to save those comments for after Sunday and it looks like we agree on that point.

We also agree on the whole PC issue as well - enough "Happy Holidays" - it's Merry Christmas, etc. As for groupthink we may have different definitions of what groupthink means as I don't have a problem with groupthink.

That said, at some point in time if we are to honestly consider ourselves members of a civilized society then we need to strike a balance between what are our rights and what is right. I know, easier said than done.

Asking a question about gay rights on SB week is as political as its going to get. It was a political question driven by an agenda. I'm still trying to figure out why the reporter would even ask that.

What I meant by groupthink is that everyone should have to same opinions about gay rights. Like Cully, if your opinion isn't in line with that reasoning you get shunned and crucified for even daring to say that you're uncomfortable with man on man sex.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What people need to "get the hell over" is the reaction that Culliver's incredibly stupid and offensive remarks is generating.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So can everybody else who is saying "you're a bigoted jackass."

Get the hell over it, clyde.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Asking a question about gay rights on SB week is as political as its going to get. It was a political question driven by an agenda. I'm still trying to figure out why the reporter would even ask that.

What I meant by groupthink is that everyone should have to same opinions about gay rights. Like Cully, if your opinion isn't in line with that reasoning you get shunned and crucified for even daring to say that you're uncomfortable with man on man sex.

Clyde, the questions were: "What about gay guys; have any of them aproached you?" and "Are there any on the 49ers?"

Those are personal not political questions. The subject of "Gay Rights" was never once aluded too in the questions, only in this thread. As for why did Artie ask the questions - because he is a Howard Stern discipile and a shock jock wanna be is all I can think of.

As for 'groupthink', I have always associated that concept more with cults and fringe groups and not main-stream society which is why I am not bothered by them or their beliefs.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this sure escalated quickly

:llama:

Status
Not open for further replies.