• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

STFU and play Chris Culliver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
gay rights shouldn't have been brought up in the first place on the super bowl stage. dude from the ravens is was dumb to do it and culliver was dumb to even talk about it. all u gay rights people save ur comments about insensitivity. i have a gay sister and a gay uncle. i dont hate gays or have a problem with them. i do however have a problem when the gay agenda gets shoved down our throats whether we like it or not.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right, not all gay guys are going to hit on straight guys... But that isn't the point... Its the sexual prefference that is at question... Have you ever heard of Jerry Sandusky? All it takes is one...

And Chris Culliver and any other player has the right to feel uncomfortable with a situation like this...

Jerry Sandusky is a *********. There is no correlation between being a sexual monster and being gay.

This was the worst, and most ignorant post in this entire thread.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I can't see why that God would need to leave proof.

I would think that at some point, in the 1000s of years of recorded human existence, we would come across at least one shred of evidence that can't be explained by science. I guess I'm just driven more by the need for logic and evidence than your average believer, and can't comprehend believing in something that leaves no trace of its existence when there are numerous better explanations available.

At one point, God was responsible for lightning and the oceans and the variety of life on the planet, but now we have explanations for these things. Now we're increasingly left with a God that is only passively responsible for the existence of the universe itself - but I'd counter that as soon as our instruments and knowledge reach that level, we'll be able to explain that too. So what is it exactly that people believe in?

I'll try to leave it at that.....this isn't the existential philosophy board.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn don't you think it's about time to put your soap box away.......

everyone is not going to think gay is ok,get over it,,,,,,,those who get on here and defend it only make it worse to be honest we would just as soon forget about them but with people always trying to shove it down our throats all they are doing is pissing people off

I'd sure like to forget about you, but you keep showing up to shove your idiocy down our throats. All you're doing is pissing people off.

This thread is called a discussion, something I know you struggle with mightily. If it bothers you so much, then piss off.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm married. God had no place in my wedding.

I dont believe God has to have a place in everyone's marriage. Those who vote against it for the most part does. I am for gay rights and equality.

I was curious about how non-christian, or non-religious ceremonies are conducted. I would be interested to hear about yours if you are willing to share the exp. with me.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's just not true. The correlation between fundamentalist christianity and intolerance of homosexuality is pretty clear, and the way they cite the story of Job is the clearest example of this.

Maybe not christianity as a whole, fair. If I paint with too broad a brush, my mistake. But its a widespread belief in America, we hear it from religious folk all the time, citing the Bible itself, and I think its ignoring the obvious to deny this.

As far as my disdain with how this religion is practiced and accepted uncritically, that is entirely relevant to my experiences.

This doesn't address the substance of your post as I think further explanation of my perspective is unneeded, but this reminds me of the story I told Toby about the guy on Third Street in Santa Monica inviting people to debate him on religion. He continuously cited the bible to prove the bible. You can't do that! You can, use excerpts in the bible juxtaposed with historical texts to show context and the like, but the bible doesn't prove the bible.

As an aside, the way I explain the bible to some, if I choose not to speak on the beliefs itself, is that some stories in the bible may have happened, but been interpreted by man. For example, a Falcons fan would recount the NFCC differently than we did. It doesn't mean it didn't happen. Now, the more outstanding it is, the harder it is to believe it. Noah's Arc could have just been a city written by someone who thought it was the world or a group that interpreted the flood of the city. The 900 year Moses, I don't know a way around that, but that could just be someone who added to a legend of a real person who lived longer than most, but not 900 years. Parting the seas, same thing. Joseph may have been charismatic and a bit psychic, as in knowing how to predict in vague ways. All these things could be attributed to God by the authors and not nature or happenstance. Does not affect whether there is a God or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as I'm concerned you are just speaking the truth - Religion is the most divisive social and cultural concept and mechanism on the planet.

Rap on brother!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think that at some point, in the 1000s of years of recorded human existence, we would come across at least one shred of evidence that can't be explained by science. I guess I'm just driven more by the need for logic and evidence than your average believer, and can't comprehend believing in something that leaves no trace of its existence when there are numerous better explanations available.

At one point, God was responsible for lightning and the oceans and the variety of life on the planet, but now we have explanations for these things. Now we're increasingly left with a God that is only passively responsible for the existence of the universe itself - but I'd counter that as soon as our instruments and knowledge reach that level, we'll be able to explain that too. So what is it exactly that people believe in?

I'll try to leave it at that.....this isn't the existential philosophy board.

I don't mean to annoy you (not saying that I am or not), but if the hypothetical God I spoke of did not want proof, it could be ten billion years with no proof as far as I'm concerned. Also, that God could be the cause of the science of lightning, that could be the mechanism for his creations. Again, this is not my belief and I know the more I say it, the more ridiculous it sounds (sorry to hypocritically use that word). All I'm saying is if there were a God, that would trump all theories and that belief is what spurs some to go beyond proof to believe. Not saying they are right, just my explanation. Facts are futile to those who don't believe in them, and that's true in religion, in criminal trials, etc.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as I'm concerned you are just speaking the truth - Religion is the most divisive social and cultural concept and mechanism on the planet.

The funny thing Bem, ALL REAL Christians agree with you totally. People think if you believe in God, you are religious or believe in religion. Real Christians only believe in having a relationship with Christ.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot to add that some of the intolerance is spurred by culture and not religion or a combination of both. But I don't feel like writing a novel right now. I'm spent on this subject. Would be happy to address some more if you have more, but not to expand my own thoughts.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Originally Posted by -AC-

damn don't you think it's about time to put your soap box away.......

everyone is not going to think gay is ok,get over it,,,,,,,those who get on here and defend it only make it worse to be honest we would just as soon forget about them but with people always trying to shove it down our throats all they are doing is pissing people off

I think it's revealing, almost a Freudian Slip, that you're talking about gays and "shoving it down our throats".

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont believe God has to have a place in everyone's marriage. Those who vote against it for the most part does. I am for gay rights and equality.

I was curious about how non-christian, or non-religious ceremonies are conducted. I would be interested to hear about yours if you are willing to share the exp. with me.

Let me give a bit of background. I was raised Catholic, but quickly rejected the tenets of the church when I learned of the atrocities committed in the name of God, both in the new world (Spain's colonizing of Central America, into the territory now known as the SWestern United States), and the old (the Inquisition, just to name one).

Around 12 I started drifting towards Agnosticism, and finally Atheism. Having said that, I don't unload my opinions regarding religion on others. People are free to believe whatever they want. I don't begrudge them that. I don't agree with them, but I typically stay pretty silent when religious "debates" break out. People's minds about a given deity are made up. Arguing with somebody about the existence of God is like arguing abortion. It usually devolves into a shouting match with neither side listening to the other.

My wife wasn't raised with religion, but holds far more spiritual beliefs than I do. She prescribes more to a Pagan belief set, than a monotheistic one, but she isn't a practicing member of any religion.

Given all of that, our ceremony was in a hotel hall. The minister (unitarian, non-denominational) performed the ceremony as we constructed it. We wrote our own vows, and used quotes from various literary masters throughout the years (Shakespeare, Milton, several poets who slip my memory right now) in much the same fashion that scriptures are cited and rehearsed during a Christian wedding. Honestly, the word "God" wasn't mentioned once.

I imagine the ceremony would be up to the individuals. If they chose to include God in their same-sex union, that would be up to them. I know for a fact that there are churches and pastors/ministers/priests who would encourage them to perform the ceremony like that. Who cares if it pisses off the sabre-rattlers?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me give a bit of background. I was raised Catholic, but quickly rejected the tenets of the church when I learned of the atrocities committed in the name of God, both in the new world (Spain's colonizing of Central America, into the territory now known as the SWestern United States), and the old (the Inquisition, just to name one).

Around 12 I started drifting towards Agnosticism, and finally Atheism. Having said that, I don't unload my opinions regarding religion on others. People are free to believe whatever they want. I don't begrudge them that. I don't agree with them, but I typically stay pretty silent when religious "debates" break out. People's minds about a given deity are made up. Arguing with somebody about the existence of God is like arguing abortion. It usually devolves into a shouting match with neither side listening to the other.

My wife wasn't raised with religion, but holds far more spiritual beliefs than I do. She prescribes more to a Pagan belief set, than a monotheistic one, but she isn't a practicing member of any religion.

Given all of that, our ceremony was in a hotel hall. The minister (unitarian, non-denominational) performed the ceremony as we constructed it. We wrote our own vows, and used quotes from various literary masters throughout the years (Shakespeare, Milton, several poets who slip my memory right now) in much the same fashion that scriptures are cited and rehearsed during a Christian wedding. Honestly, the word "God" wasn't mentioned once.

I imagine the ceremony would be up to the individuals. If they chose to include God in their same-sex union, that would be up to them. I know for a fact that there are churches and pastors/ministers/priests who would encourage them to perform the ceremony like that. Who cares if it pisses off the sabre-rattlers?

I, too, was raised in a church, but have later found out that my mom doesn't believe and my dad probably had my mom take us more for the moral upbringing. I know morals are not exclusive to churches and that religions can be hypocritical and don't set morals that we all agree with. But the alternative, I guess was no structure and my dad didn't want that. He didn't want to be creative with it, either. This was the traditional method for that. He didn't go with us and we didn't go every Sunday. It was like 1-2 times a month and then a month or two not going. My brother and sister were different in their approach. My brother was apathetic, he'd go but not believe nor scoff. My sister is spiritual, like your wife is, and for a part of her life she filled that spiritual need with Christianity, but never spoke about it (and she has not gone in her adult life). The best I could find in her belief, was that she was upset to watch "The Last Temptation of Christ" - but she was like 10-12 at that point, so I don't know where she is today.

Anyway, for my wedding, I tried to get the pastor from my childhood's church to do it, but heard that he retired and moved out of state. After that, I didn't care if the person was religious or not. If he were emphatically atheist, I might have been bugged, but that was more of wanting the traditional wedding that I grew up seeing. Wives care more about getting what they dreamed, I just wanted it to fit with tradition. The person who did our wedding turned out to be some sort of Christian, but didn't read from the bible or anything. Had to request the traditional reading of the wedding person (often a priest) said, because he wanted to do some analogy of birds meeting and building a nest. I said, no birds, holy matrimony and you may kiss the bride.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thank you for sharing this. I appreciate it and this will definitely help me as a teaching tool for my own children. I like to teach them they do have options/choices and do not have to believe what I believe.

I agree, they shouldnt worry about whom they piss off and no one should be pissed off in the first place. I guess i will never understand why others would be concerned with something that doesnt effect their quality of life?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you for sharing this. I appreciate it and this will definitely help me as a teaching tool for my own children. I like to teach them they do have options/choices and do not have to believe what I believe.

I agree, they shouldnt worry about whom they piss off and no one should be pissed off in the first place. I guess i will never understand why others would be concerned with something that doesnt effect their quality of life?

My aunt's philosophy is to teach her child that the bible is just a collection of fairy tales with some worthy moral stories. And that she can believe what she wants when she grows up. I personally think that will dissuade belief, not there's anything wrong with that, it's just going to shape her. To say so otherwise, I disagree. Unless she meets a religious guy to marry or has some event in her life, often tragic, to pull her to God, she will be a non-believer. But I also don't think that my aunt has to teach her that the bible is true. She's trying to strike a balance. Her husband is Jewish and my cousin went to a Jewish school (who accepted non-Jews, too) but my uncle, only observes Hanukah. The cousin went to a Christian middle school and now is in a public school with honors (a good one).

I have heard the opposite, where you raise your kid in a way that presents the religion to them and see how they go. If they go for it, embrace it. If not, let it go. I haven't decided on how to raise my daughter yet, but I know that I can't go wrong if I teach her that she is responsible for her life and hers alone, that I respect whatever she decides to believe, choose to highlight the positives of those beliefs, and teach a general respect for all people.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I, too, was raised in a church, but have later found out that my mom doesn't believe and my dad probably had my mom take us more for the moral upbringing. I know morals are not exclusive to churches and that religions can be hypocritical and don't set morals that we all agree with. But the alternative, I guess was no structure and my dad didn't want that. He didn't want to be creative with it, either. This was the traditional method for that. He didn't go with us and we didn't go every Sunday. It was like 1-2 times a month and then a month or two not going. My brother and sister were different in their approach. My brother was apathetic, he'd go but not believe nor scoff. My sister is spiritual, like your wife is, and for a part of her life she filled that spiritual need with Christianity, but never spoke about it (and she has not gone in her adult life). The best I could find in her belief, was that she was upset to watch "The Last Temptation of Christ" - but she was like 10-12 at that point, so I don't know where she is today.

Anyway, for my wedding, I tried to get the pastor from my childhood's church to do it, but heard that he retired and moved out of state. After that, I didn't care if the person was religious or not. If he were emphatically atheist, I might have been bugged, but that was more of wanting the traditional wedding that I grew up seeing. Wives care more about getting what they dreamed, I just wanted it to fit with tradition. The person who did our wedding turned out to be some sort of Christian, but didn't read from the bible or anything. Had to request the traditional reading of the wedding person (often a priest) said, because he wanted to do some analogy of birds meeting and building a nest. I said, no birds, holy matrimony and you may kiss the bride.

:lol:

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My aunt's philosophy is to teach her child that the bible is just a collection of fairy tales with some worthy moral stories. And that she can believe what she wants when she grows up. I personally think that will dissuade belief, not there's anything wrong with that, it's just going to shape her. To say so otherwise, I disagree. Unless she meets a religious guy to marry or has some event in her life, often tragic, to pull her to God, she will be a non-believer. But I also don't think that my aunt has to teach her that the bible is true. She's trying to strike a balance. Her husband is Jewish and my cousin went to a Jewish school (who accepted non-Jews, too) but my uncle, only observes Hanukah. The cousin went to a Christian middle school and now is in a public school with honors (a good one).

I have heard the opposite, where you raise your kid in a way that presents the religion to them and see how they go. If they go for it, embrace it. If not, let it go. I haven't decided on how to raise my daughter yet, but I know that I can't go wrong if I teach her that she is responsible for her life and hers alone, that I respect whatever she decides to believe, choose to highlight the positives of those beliefs, and teach a general respect for all people.

This is how I view it. And also why I keep my beliefs to myself. Most people aren't real happy when they find out I think their God is a fictional character like Santa Claus.

I think it's hypocritical for me to throw that on somebody when I really don't like being proselytized with their views. Sorry if I offended anybody with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.