• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

STFU and play Chris Culliver

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, some cultures accept that once a girl can have kids, she's available, but then that wouldn't be pedophilia. And anything short of that is a sickness.

I'm sure you know where I'm going next with this; in the most extreme case where a girl is fertile by eight and the man is an adult by American standards, why doesn't that hold the same degree of repugnance in X society than if she was infertile?

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
in the most extreme case where a girl is fertile by eight and the man is an adult by American standards, why doesn't that hold the same degree of repugnance in X society than if she was infertile?

If you have to use "fertile at 8" to prove your point, then I don't know what you're even trying to say, that's an outlier so rare its not worth debating. It would be a backwards-ass society that would not look down upon a relationship with an 8 year old girl, repugnant no matter what, she is not in any kind of position to make any sort of meaningful decision along those lines. Fair to say that by any civilized standards, that would be pedophilia no matter what is up with her body, there are exceptions to the rule.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ray, stop baiting me.....:clap:

I've been to Asia several times (Shanghai, Japan, and Taiwan) and the driving is crazy, but I never see them crash. I've accumulated more than a year there over the time. I guess everyone's used to it, they know the priorities of all the drivers and can predict what's going to happen, even with all the motorcycles. It's like in New York, where they have a different driving style. When you mesh two systems this happens. Of course, New York and SF are less of a contrast than SF and Shanghai, but still.

It reminds me of L.A. Story, where a British reporter travels to LA to report on Steve Martin's character. She picks him up in the car and drives on the left side like in Britain where people are swerving away from her. Steve screams, "wrong side! wrong side" to which the reporter unaware of the law to drive on the right, replies, "I don't think the can hear you."

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Screw this Politically Correct BS world we live in these days. Why do people care so much about others opinions? Does it really effect their lives so much that he made anti-gay remarks? If it does I say they are the ones that need to be taking classes to fix their sensitivity issues.

We all like to say we have the freedom of speech, but it seems like we want to censor it more and more. You can't walk out of your house and talk about politics, race, religion, or sexual orientation.

I just don't get why people feel the need to be offended by another persons opinion. We act like such topics are a War where someone has to win and lose instead of treating them for what they are, personal opinions. Is it really so hard to learn to respect others point of view and move on?

I mostly consider myself conservative however I have nothing against gays. I think it's ridiculous they can't get married and get treated so badly. I'm not a religious person, but I fully respect those that are and have no desire to try to change their beliefs. They only problem I have with race is that it gets way over played in today's society.

Maybe I'm just to laid back, but I think life is a lot simpler when you just learn to respect others beliefs and realize not everything has to be a battle or taking personal.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, then substitute "Jewish" for "Gay." Do you "understand" someone's discomfort with a person being a Jew? If so, I think that bears looking at.

We all have prejudices. I'm not entirely comfortable with the immigrant Chinese culture. However, I'm under no illusion that my problems with that lifestyle aren't bigoted. I own it, and I've become much more tolerant. I'm hoping the same for Culliver.

Sexual orientation =/= ethnicity.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "I have gay friends" line died 10 years ago. Sorry, but friends don't cut down their friends for who they are. Most people who hold views like yours yet think you have close gay friends don't realize those "gay friends" generally aren't as close to you as you think and never will be.

When exactly did I "cut down" gays? All I said was that Culliver has a right to opinion, and he's not a bigot for being uncomfortable with man on man sex. If you think that's "cutting down" the gay community you need to GTFO.

This exactly why it's impossible to have a rational discussion about this subject.

Being anti-gay is wrong and it's not politically correct to say as much. It is wrong. It is as wrong as racism and sexism. People need to stop thinking it's OK to be anti-gay or hold anti-gay positions. It is NOT OK.

I think anyone who took Culliver's words as "anti-gay" is being hypersensitive and is just looking to get offended. Honestly, can anyone say anything these days without someone somewhere feeling offended?

OK, so someone is honest in their bigotry, which is exactly what homophobic views are, bigotry. Immature biased views against homosexuality..........ignorance. It doesn't matter what label you slap on it, wrong is wrong, and if you truly were a friend to the gay community, you wouldn't be an apologist to homophobia.

I'm a friend of the freedom of speech more than I am a friend of the gay community. Not offending the gay community doesn't take precedence over freedom of fucking speech.

I wonder if you tell your gay friends their orientation and their plight isn't the same as other groups.

It isn't. Not one group is exactly the same as another in its "plight". If you think gays today are going through the same discrimination blacks went through before the civil rights movement exploded you need to be educated.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Asking a question about gay rights on SB week is as political as its going to get. It was a political question driven by an agenda. I'm still trying to figure out why the reporter would even ask that.

What I meant by groupthink is that everyone should have to same opinions about gay rights. Like Cully, if your opinion isn't in line with that reasoning you get shunned and crucified for even daring to say that you're uncomfortable with man on man sex.

Haven't made it through the thread yet but I don't agree with this. The Ravens have a player who has been very outspoken on gay rights. A day or two before the questions were asked, a former 49er was revealed to be gay. I think questions about homosexuality are at least somewhat pertinent given those facts, and frankly the Kwame Harris news was probably the driving force behind them. There's little doubt Lange was trying to get a certain response, but that doesn't make his questions overly political IMO.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Comparing sexual orientation to race is highly questionable.

Race is a construct. All human life originated in Africa, but certain physical attributes prevailed as people adapted to various environments. Humans are much more closely related on a genetic level as a species than many other mammals and other primates specifically. Even if you believe sexuality is a choice, at least we can all agree that sexuality actually exists. Plenty of people dispute that "race" means anything at all.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I do have one more post on topic, here. Regarding being comfortable...would a locker room of 48 in shape lesbian women be comfortable with 5 straight guys in the shower?

Would shower stalls solve the problem here?

I guess the big problem I have with the locker room comments is that straight women are constantly in an NFL locker room. I can't say with certainty, but I would wager that Culliver doesn't have a huge problem with the fact that dozens of straight women have almost certainly seen him naked or mostly naked in the locker room on a regular basis. More to the point, he didn't say he would be uncomfortable with a gay person in the shower with him. I don't feel that way personally, but I understand that some people do. Culliver said gay men weren't welcome on the team. There's a big difference with that.

As far as the comparison you make above, it's somewhat valid, but I think there's a distinction. Same-sex athletes are around one another in various stages of undress for most of their lives. However, public/group nudity is rare in other aspects of American life. I have showered with other men since freshman year of HS, and I'd imagine most of the others on this board who were athletes did as well. God knows if I was in a shower full of hot, naked women, it would be all I could do not to develop a raging hard-on. But if I had been around naked women in that environment all my life, it wouldn't be a big deal (or at least as much of one). I had a Japanese friend in middle school who moved back to Japan in HS, and on the first school trip they went to these large public baths. Everyone was naked. He was freaking out. It wasn't a big deal to everyone else because they had been exposed to that their entire lives. It's the same thing with Europeans who frequent nude beaches.

I was on a varsity team with a couple gay guys in college, including maybe my closest friend on the team. They weren't out at the time (my buddy didn't come out to me until three years after college), and it's not like they were walking around with erections. But if being seen by gay men is really the concern for straight athletes, I'm sure NFL teams would be willing to shell out a few thousand more dollars for stalls or curtains.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
When exactly did I "cut down" gays? All I said was that Culliver has a right to opinion, and he's not a bigot for being uncomfortable with man on man sex. If you think that's "cutting down" the gay community you need to GTFO.

That's not what he said, though, Clyde. He said he wouldn't accept gay people on the team.

I just watched the interview for the first time - part of why I haven't really weighed in on Culliver's statements specifically - and it's not as vitriolic as many have made it out to be. He's clearly not taking it all that seriously, there's kind of a back-and-forth going on with him and Lange, and I don't think he really thought about what he was saying or the reaction it would receive. But at the end of the day he said gay players would not be accepted on the 49ers.

"They don't got not gay on the team, you know. They got to get up out of here if they do."

Every time you reduce that to not being comfortable in the locker room, you are misrepresenting what he said.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was asking him. I'm not the one who started espousing moral absolutes in this thread. I was asking on what basis he does that.

Ok. But I'm asking you. Do you believe racism is wrong? If so, what's your basis?

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a friend of the freedom of speech more than I am a friend of the gay community. Not offending the gay community doesn't take precedence over freedom of fucking speech.

Again, freedom of speech only protects you from government persecution, it does not protect you from the public responding negatively to comments you made publicly. Freedom of speech has zero to do with this.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sexual orientation =/= ethnicity.

Agreed. In fact, it proves my point even more. One can choose to be or not be a Jew. One cannot, if studies and common sense are to be believed, choose not to be gay.

Why don't you just say it? You have a problem with the "gay lifestyle" and believe that gay people choose to be how they are.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was asking him. I'm not the one who started espousing moral absolutes in this thread. I was asking on what basis he does that.

If you think what he said was a moral absolute and you have a problem with it, on what basis do you say treating gays like shit is perfectly fine? What makes mistreating them morally ok.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If you think what he said was a moral absolute and you have a problem with it, on what basis do you say treating gays like shit is perfectly fine? What makes mistreating them morally ok.

Treating gays like shit / mistreating them is not fine in my opinion.

Again, I'd like to hear a basis for saying it's immoral to be against homosexuality. I'm trying to be really specific here so this doesn't go in a million different directions like it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.