• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

steelers : why didn't they kick a field goal ?

flyingelvis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy in the booth (Romo) had the right call. Run a fade route, low risk. Then kick the FG.

The fake spike was stupid. You know Belichick has his team prepared for that. They never flinched. They were just in position to cover their guys. It just turned out they only had one guy to cover.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why didn't they kick the FG? Because they threw an interception!:D

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That seems really silly. Why not run one pass to the end zone?

Because things like what happened, happens. Ben makes an idiot decision and throws it into triple coverage because, why not. Safest bet was to clock it, get Bos on the field and kick the FG and go to OT.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because things like what happened, happens. Ben makes an idiot decision and throws it into triple coverage because, why not. Safest bet was to clock it, get Bos on the field and kick the FG and go to OT.
That's way too conservative to me. You just don't throw it into triple coverage. Go for the win but be smart. I don't think that's too much to ask a veteran QB.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:nono:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. No question. Squib kick the kickoff and go to OT.

Safe, especially in hindsight...but I would've taken a shot at the endzone and if not successful kick it on 4th down....that was a broken play at best, and Ben instinctively went in to his adlib mode instead of throwing it away.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's way too conservative to me. You just don't throw it into triple coverage. Go for the win but be smart. I don't think that's too much to ask a veteran QB.

That's way to conservative but what we ended up doing didn't work either. It was the smartest play. Rushing to the ball, trying to get everyone on the same page and call a play just simply doesn't work against the Patriots and it isn't a smart thing to do, especially when you can move one step closer to locking up HFA throughout the playoffs with a win against the Pats.

Totally incomparable. You only bet against Brady in the Super Bowl when they are facing the New York Giants. Plus the play calling along the entire 2nd half was simply atrocious. We've squeaked out close wins in 4 of the last 5 games, no reason to think we couldn't have done the same.

Safe, especially in hindsight...but I would've taken a shot at the endzone and if not successful kick it on 4th down....that was a broken play at best, and Ben instinctively went in to his adlib mode instead of throwing it away.

Who's to say Ben doesn't make the same stupid mistake. Try to force it somewhere and it gets intercepted?

It's conservative yes but it would've given us a legit chance to win the game in OT.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's to say Ben doesn't make the same stupid mistake. Try to force it somewhere and it gets intercepted?

It's conservative yes but it would've given us a legit chance to win the game in OT.

So you trust Ben in OT, but not on the 5yd line with 14 secs?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Safest bet was to follow the coaches decision and not clock it.
When triple coverage is encountered, the next best is to throw it through the endzone. Then take the fieldgoal and lose to the Patriots in OT. Less humiliating!!!!!

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they had plenty of time for one try for the end zone. BUT they shouldn't piss away the field goal with a bad pass.

Some have said they could thought up a number of plays to have ready for the last few plays.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that bad call reversal really affected the Steelers on Sunday. I would have went for the field goal and took my chances in overtime.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you trust Ben in OT, but not on the 5yd line with 14 secs?

Not in a hurry up offense where he's wanting to do one thing but the guys on the sideline want to do something else. Noone is on the same page, Eli and Ben knew what was going on, no one else knew anything about the play. It was a clusterfuck. That whole sequence was fucking bullshit.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not in a hurry up offense where he's wanting to do one thing but the guys on the sideline want to do something else. Noone is on the same page, Eli and Ben knew what was going on, no one else knew anything about the play. It was a clusterfuck. That whole sequence was fucking bullshit.

Okay...your last sentence couldn't be more true, but that's a hindsight viewpoint, of course it was.

The point I'm making is in that same circumstance (14 secs, no time outs down 3pts) with a vet QB, at home, decent weather conditions...I believe the overwhelming majority of teams would try for a shot in the endzone and kick the FG on 3rd down.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay...your last sentence couldn't be more true, but that's a hindsight viewpoint, of course it was.

The point I'm making is in that same circumstance (14 secs, no time outs down 3pts) with a vet QB, at home, decent weather conditions...I believe the overwhelming majority of teams would try for a shot in the endzone and kick the FG on 3rd down.

Even without hindsight I wouldn't want to chance it. Rushing to the line of scrimmage with 14 seconds on the clock, trying to get everyone in position and on the same page. I love Ben and I fear for our team when he retires but there's only two guys I would trust in that situation. Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers. Ben has been too inconsistent this year. You know who hasn't been inconsistent? Chris Boswell. 10-10 from 20-29 yards, which is what that FG would've been. With what was at stake, there's no reason to chance it like that when you can tie it up and have an actual chance to win the game in OT. Not only would it be a win over the Patriots, it's be a lock into a first round bye, 1 win away form HFA throughout the playoffs and there'd be no question as to who the best team in the AFC is. Now, with all that shit that happened the way it did, we are 1 loss and 1 Jags win away from having to play in the first round of the playoffs and the Jags own the tiebreaker. We should've trusted our QB who wanted to just clock it. If you wanna trust him with the ball, trust him to make what he thinks is the right call and obviously, Ben thought the right thing to do would've been to clock it. Now whether the next play was a FG or a 4th down try is anyone's guess and mere speculation now.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even without hindsight I wouldn't want to chance it. Rushing to the line of scrimmage with 14 seconds on the clock, trying to get everyone in position and on the same page. I love Ben and I fear for our team when he retires but there's only two guys I would trust in that situation. Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers. Ben has been too inconsistent this year. You know who hasn't been inconsistent? Chris Boswell. 10-10 from 20-29 yards, which is what that FG would've been. With what was at stake, there's no reason to chance it like that when you can tie it up and have an actual chance to win the game in OT. Not only would it be a win over the Patriots, it's be a lock into a first round bye, 1 win away form HFA throughout the playoffs and there'd be no question as to who the best team in the AFC is. Now, with all that shit that happened the way it did, we are 1 loss and 1 Jags win away from having to play in the first round of the playoffs and the Jags own the tiebreaker. We should've trusted our QB who wanted to just clock it. If you wanna trust him with the ball, trust him to make what he thinks is the right call and obviously, Ben thought the right thing to do would've been to clock it. Now whether the next play was a FG or a 4th down try is anyone's guess and mere speculation now.

Fair...we're going to agree to disagree on that point in bold.

The fallout...JAX is in their rear view mirror. As it stands they are the 2 seed. Assuming NE wins out, take care of biz vs HOU with no QB and CLE with no wins and they will keep their seed regardless of what JAX does.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
take care of biz vs HOU with no QB and CLE with no wins

You forget that we are Mike Glennon's only win as a starter in 2017. Also, Cleveland gave us a run for our money in Week 1. Not to mention AB is probably out for the rest of the season until the playoffs. We play down to bad teams and that's even MORE the reason why we needed this win over New England.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You forget that we are Mike Glennon's only win as a starter in 2017. Also, Cleveland gave us a run for our money in Week 1. Not to mention AB is probably out for the rest of the season until the playoffs. We play down to bad teams and that's even MORE the reason why we needed this win over New England.

If they lose to either of those teams...they deserve to play WC weekend.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Herm Edwards once famously said: You play to win the game. You are right on the doorstep with time for 2 plays, why on Earth would you elect to duel Tom Brady in overtime when you can win it right there?

I had no problem with every decision until Ben forced throw into triple coverage. Throw it away and maybe you get the chance for one more quick shot before settling for the tie.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Herm Edwards once famously said: You play to win the game. You are right on the doorstep with time for 2 plays, why on Earth would you elect to duel Tom Brady in overtime when you can win it right there?

I had no problem with every decision until Ben forced throw into triple coverage. Throw it away and maybe you get the chance for one more quick shot before settling for the tie.

Of course you have to give it a try, you're 5 yards away from winning the game. Just not a stupid try..