• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

State of the Thunder

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL.

So that is Randle straight up, because KCP's value is an expiring contract.

Not even in the ballpark. Thanks for proving me right.

And George's is an expiring contract too.

You're not very good at this, are you?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No.

George is an allstar and a top 15 player. His value extends far beyond an expiring contract because he can help a team win games.

Do you really not understand the difference?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So all expiring contracts are equal? Why stop at Paul George then. I'm sure the Pelicans would love to accept your offer of Brook Lopez for Cousins. Seeing as they're both expiring.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So all expiring contracts are equal? Why stop at Paul George then. I'm sure the Pelicans would love to accept your offer of Brook Lopez for Cousins. Seeing as they're both expiring.

If the Pelicans were heavily underperforming and Cousins made it abundantly clear he was leaving in the summer, you don't think they'd be looking to trade him?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Pelicans were heavily underperforming and Cousins made it abundantly clear he was leaving in the summer, you don't think they'd be looking to trade him?

Not for an expiring deal, why trade one expiring for another?

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

George is an allstar and a top 15 player. His value extends far beyond an expiring contract because he can help a team win games.

Team win games. Hows that working out in OKC?

With the Lakers HEAVY favorites to land him in the summer, what moronic GM is actually dumb enough to trade big assets for him?

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Absolutely. But the key is for what. Trading a big expiring contract for another big expiring contract is a net zero. The Pelicans don't gain anything. They have no incentive to trade him. Also they could potentially retain him seeing as they can offer him more money than another team can.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

Do you really think the Thunder are looking for another all-star in return? Hows the "three alphas" experiment working out for them so far?

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. But the key is for what. Trading a big expiring contract for another big expiring contract is a net zero. The Pelicans don't gain anything. They have no incentive to trade him. Also they could potentially retain him seeing as they can offer him more money than another team can.

Again, these are all hypothetical situations here. An extremely unhappy player is not going to re-sign for more money.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, these are all hypothetical situations here. An extremely unhappy player is not going to re-sign for more money.

You're absolutely right. But at the same time the franchise has no incentive to move a player if it nets them a zero gain. At worst pelicans clear cap space at the end of the year either way. But you don't trade a player to another team to let them benefit while you reap nothing.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Real world scenario:

I have an expiring coupon to a store that I cannot use. They don't have any value to me, but they still carry value to someone else who can use it.

You have a gift card with a zero balance on it. You ask to trade them because you can use the store coupons. Well I obviously can't do anything with an empty gift card. How does that benefit me?

What I can do is hold out for someone to offer something of real value that I can apply. Otherwise, at the end of the day I'm still at a net zero. If I were to trade you, you would clearly benefit, but I wouldn't have gained anything.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're absolutely right. But at the same time the franchise has no incentive to move a player if it nets them a zero gain. At worst pelicans clear cap space at the end of the year either way. But you don't trade a player to another team to let them benefit while you reap nothing.

In the case of OKC, if George really wanted out and said he wasn't going to re-sign, the Lakers might just have a good package for them.

They're not looking for an all-star in return. They've got three as it is and still have a losing record. In the meanwhile the Lakers have NO all-stars and still have a similar record.

Lose one alpha in return for two solid role players.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Real world scenario:

I have an expiring coupon to a store that I cannot use. They don't have any value to me, but they still carry value to someone else who can use it.

You have a gift card with a zero balance on it. You ask to trade them because you can use the store coupons. Well I obviously can't do anything with an empty gift card. How does that benefit me?

What I can do is hold out for someone to offer something of real value that I can apply. Otherwise, at the end of the day I'm still at a net zero. If I were to trade you, you would clearly benefit, but I wouldn't have gained anything.

Lakers gain PG
Thunder gain Randle and KCP (plus potential filler or picks)

That's not something for nothing. That's something for something.

Sometimes you have to pick the pieces that work for you, not just stockpile the best you can just for the hell of it.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you really think the Thunder are looking for another all-star in return? Hows the "three alphas" experiment working out for them so far?

No.

If they move on for George, it would be in the form of future assets or a collection of good players on team friendly contracts.

They aren't moving him unless they get something significant in return that will help them be better next year. KCP + Randle doesn't accomplish that. If they want something for this year, their best bet is still for those 3 to figure out how to play together effectively, because they aren't getting equal talent in return.

A 60- 70 cents on the dollar trade makes sense for both sides. What you are proposing is closer to a nickel.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers gain PG

Sometimes you have to pick the pieces that work for you, not just stockpile the best you can just for the hell of it.

The Lakers don't have any picks to trade. Both of their 2018 picks are gone. By CBA rules they can't trade back to back first round picks meaning that they can't trade away their 2019 pick either. So earliest pick they could trade would be a 2020 1st.

On top of that real world applications is that the Thunder aren't guaranteed any long term value. KCP is an unrestricted free agent and no guarantee to return. On top of that Randle is a restricted free agent. If a team offers him a big contract the Thunder then have to decide whether or not to match or let him go, again for nothing.

For a singular season value, your trade might be best. But the only way the Thunder are trading PG is if they're not in a position to compete. In that scenario, you're looking for long term assets. That's why the 76ers trade I proposed would be immediately better value. The Thunder would then have 3 potential long term assets under control for multiple years are cap friendly holds. The Thunder would have the luxury of selecting fits for their roster and players that could mesh.

Again you have to look at it from the scenario that in the event the Thunder trade PG, they are non-competitive. They're not going to want role players in return. They're going to look upward.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

If they move on for George, it would be in the form of future assets or a collection of good players on team friendly contracts.

They aren't moving him unless they get something significant in return that will help them be better next year. KCP + Randle doesn't accomplish that. If they want something for this year, their best bet is still for those 3 to figure out how to play together effectively, because they aren't getting equal talent in return.

A 60- 70 cents on the dollar trade makes sense for both sides. What you are proposing is closer to a nickel.

I think you're severely underestimating the value of Randle and KCP

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers gain PG

And sometime you need to realize that the pieces you way the Lakers to trade are not the pieces OKC is going to want.

The Lakers best play is exactly the same as it was last season. Wait it out and sign PG as a free agent.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again you have to look at it from the scenario that in the event the Thunder trade PG, they are non-competitive. They're not going to want role players in return. They're going to look upward.

Not a lot of teams are going to give up a lot for a 5 month rental though