• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Star Wars: The Mandalorian

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That secondary plot line felt like it was about ten minutes longer than it needed to. It was hard to care about with what happened before and after it.
Yeah, I was getting 'where are they going with this' vibes.

I think I've been spoiled by Andor and the crisper writing and continuity.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I was getting 'where are they going with this' vibes.

I think I've been spoiled by Andor and the crisper writing and continuity.
I haven't seen Andor but my issue is the placement of the sequence and not the sequence itself. In a way, I don’t mind seeing the level of dedication to a scene. I suspect even hardcore fans will skip this sequence when rewatching show.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That secondary plot line felt like it was about ten minutes longer than it needed to. It was hard to care about with what happened before and after it.
I actually liked the Coruscant story. It definitely felt like filler, but it did 2 things that were important. First, it dove into everyday life of the Star Wars galaxy for the common citizen and further dealt with how former employees of the empire are dealt with in the new republic world. Second, it established the new character, who will clearly be someone moving forward.

I also liked the Mandalorian storyline because fully brings Bo Katan into the A-story for the show as a whole. The argument can be made at this point that she is a co-lead of the show.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen Andor but my issue is the placement of the sequence and not the sequence itself. In a way, I don’t mind seeing the level of dedication to a scene. I suspect even hardcore fans will skip this sequence when rewatching show.
This is a good point. If they broke that story into 2 episodes instead (as a B-story, not as 2 full episodes), the twist reveal might have had more punch. Maybe introduce them in Ep 2, then have the journey to the junk yard as the B-story in Ep 3. Having a B-story in Ep 2 might have been tough, though, since so much already happened in that episode.

Maybe introduce them in ep 1? That ep was already really short, so they could have added 10 mins without a prob there.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
being old school. I was used to seeing a seasons be like 20+ episodes. Throw in all the filler you want.
then it dropped to around 12, then 10 now a lot of times 8 episodes for a season.
So now I am like I aint got time for this filler shit I am running out of episodes (at start of season) LOL

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
being old school. I was used to seeing a seasons be like 20+ episodes. Throw in all the filler you want.
then it dropped to around 12, then 10 now a lot of times 8 episodes for a season.
So now I am like I aint got time for this filler shit I am running out of episodes (at start of season) LOL
But a lot of the shows that follow this 8-episode season template are part of larger projects (MCU, Star Trek, Star Wars, etc), so there are multiple seasons per year.

And in these larger scope universes, I like to get the flavor of the world, and you typically get that in filler episodes. IMHO, that was achieved well in this episode.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually liked the Coruscant story. It definitely felt like filler, but it did 2 things that were important. First, it dove into everyday life of the Star Wars galaxy for the common citizen and further dealt with how former employees of the empire are dealt with in the new republic world. Second, it established the new character, who will clearly be someone moving forward.

I also liked the Mandalorian storyline because fully brings Bo Katan into the A-story for the show as a whole. The argument can be made at this point that she is a co-lead of the show.
It also showed that the New Republic is probably pretty fucked itself. Tossing out useful things for no good reason seems like busy work. But repurposing in special cases like the mindflayer and in a very Clockwork Orange kind of way.

It's overwhelmingly sweet and clean on the surface, but if you scratch the new paint a little bit, I think there is still plenty of the corruption of the previous Republic, and the Empire.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It also showed that the New Republic is probably pretty fucked itself. Tossing out useful things for no good reason seems like busy work. But repurposing in special cases like the mindflayer and in a very Clockwork Orange kind of way.

It's overwhelmingly sweet and clean on the surface, but if you scratch the new paint a little bit, I think there is still plenty of the corruption of the previous Republic, and the Empire.
That was shown by the “Ted Talk” at the beginning. The bourgeoise of the New Republic is made up of the same people who supported the Empire. New boss, same as the old boss.

Bringing in the scientists from the Empire, I think, was supposed to be a bit of a nod the Project Paper Clip utilized by the US after WWII.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It looks like they're trying to make a statement that the New Republic eventually won't do any better than the Old Republic and is already following in their footsteps.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The show is just more Disney rubbish. Everything Disney touches gets destroyed.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Filoni did a great job with Clone Wars filling in the gap between the Prequels and the OT to salvage that storyline and in particular Anakin.

I think he's going to do it again with all these new shows to salvage the Sequels.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The show is just more Disney rubbish. Everything Disney touches gets destroyed.
So far, SW “tv” has been pretty good.

M1 was great
M2 was very good
BF1 was bad
O1 was garbage
Andor was great
M3 so far is very good

As for animation…

Clone Wars was AWESOME
Rebels was very good
Resistance was meh
Bad Batch 1 was good
BB2 (I haven’t watched yet)

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But a lot of the shows that follow this 8-episode season template are part of larger projects (MCU, Star Trek, Star Wars, etc), so there are multiple seasons per year.

And in these larger scope universes, I like to get the flavor of the world, and you typically get that in filler episodes. IMHO, that was achieved well in this episode.
my biggest rant isnt filler really. I love long movies so I can get more details. Most people bitch about long movies.
It is that we wait all year & they give us an 8 episode season. Used to be you got to the 3rd or 4th episode & you think this is a nice start to the season. Now it is oh shit we are coming to the home stretch. Its almost over.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far, SW “tv” has been pretty good.

M1 was great
M2 was very good
BF1 was bad
O1 was garbage
Andor was great
M3 so far is very good

As for animation…

Clone Wars was AWESOME
Rebels was very good
Resistance was meh
Bad Batch 1 was good
BB2 (I haven’t watched yet)
BB2 is solid

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Filoni did a great job with Clone Wars filling in the gap between the Prequels and the OT to salvage that storyline and in particular Anakin.

I think he's going to do it again with all these new shows to salvage the Sequels.
I hope they get around to introducing Grand Admiral Thrawn. The "Heir to the Empire" trilogy by Timothy Zahn was outstanding and it's a great character. They mentioned him in the episode with Ashoka.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my biggest rant isnt filler really. I love long movies so I can get more details. Most people bitch about long movies.
It is that we wait all year & they give us an 8 episode season. Used to be you got to the 3rd or 4th episode & you think this is a nice start to the season. Now it is oh shit we are coming to the home stretch. Its almost over.
Shows today are all really just long, serialized movies. When shows were 24 episodes per season, they were basically episodic. In today’s streaming, binge world, 24 episode seasons dont work anymore.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just waiting for it to finish so I can binge it.
I watch 2 or 3 episodes at a time. By the time I have a chance to watch again there's usually 2 or 3 more

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they get around to introducing Grand Admiral Thrawn. The "Heir to the Empire" trilogy by Timothy Zahn was outstanding and it's a great character. They mentioned him in the episode with Ashoka.
He is strongly rumored to make a live action appearance in M3. Not sure how they will do that unless it is kinda like a post-credit scene with him and Ezra, setting up Ahsoka.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's overwhelmingly sweet and clean on the surface, but if you scratch the new paint a little bit, I think there is still plenty of the corruption of the previous Republic, and the Empire
The ending of the sequence is a bit silly unless I'm missing something. If your prisoner claims someone trapped them and put them in a mind flayer, you wouldn't leave the room. You would also suspect foul play when their mind was flayed. Or were they all in on it and I missed something?