• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am going to try to wait until the show is over before coming to a conclusion. Swerves are a thing. And sometimes they are setting up a better second half (WandaVision started rough, but ended up being solid).

That said, the Leia chase scenes are pretty irredeemable.
I actually thought the worst scene was the 'I'm going to put my older cousin in his place' scene. They did a really good job with her character building overall but that scene came across like she was 10 years old and already someone's ex-wife.

The first chase scene was kinda silly but my impression was that the bandits weren't trying. They just wanted to scare her and intimidate her and then bag her from behind. Killing the guard did intimidate her for sure. I dont think the bandits ever thought she was a real flight risk.

I have a number of issues with the episode 2 chase scene, though. Almost every character involved has to act stupid in just the right ways for all of that to happen. For me, that extends to almost the whole episode. If the show redeems itself, I'll just see Episode 2 as a necessary evil but if it doesn't its getting a the mystery science theater treatment for me. Its monumentally stupid.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I'm just going out on a limb and guess that Star Wars fans somewhere are cutting out the 3rd sister and Leia sequence that was interrupting the much more interesting Obi Wan and Vader sequence.

The Leia Obi Wan sequences we're pretty good. Still the whole 'getting caught for dumb reasons' but way better scenes than episode 2

Last edited:

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have only watched the 1st 2 eps so far, but it looks pretty boring and slow so far. I have a feeling by the end we'll all be wondering why this wasn't just called Snarky Leia.

Boba Fett now Obi Wan, Disney doesn't understand that people want to see these characters reliving their peaks, not sad pathetic old men.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So…

Um…

A sniper takes out a trooper. Ok, I guess I am ok with that, but then Vader, who just walked down the street force choking random people as he went, couldn’t force choke her?

And when she somehow triggered a fire wall, Vader was not able to either put out the fire or walk around it, or fly through it, or order his troopers to run through it, or whatever to get Obi wan? He just stood there and said “Awe shucks, I guess I lost that one.”

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So…

Um…

A sniper takes out a trooper. Ok, I guess I am ok with that, but then Vader, who just walked down the street force choking random people as he went, couldn’t force choke her?

And when she somehow triggered a fire wall, Vader was not able to either put out the fire or walk around it, or fly through it, or order his troopers to run through it, or whatever to get Obi wan? He just stood there and said “Awe shucks, I guess I lost that one.”
Its Vader's catch and release program.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So…

Um…

The series is good, I like it, but there were a lot of basic logic gaps in that episode that easily could have been cleaned up with a little more thought. With all the stuff you mentioned, there's also Tala (or whatever her name is) somehow not seeing Reva at all despite going back thru the tunnel to go save Obi-Wan. And then Reva somehow beating Leia to the end of the tunnel. For the last one you'd assume she figured out where it was going but like, how?

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And then Reva somehow beating Leia to the end of the tunnel. For the last one you'd assume she figured out where it was going but like, how?
The tunnel is not necessarily a shortcut. It is most likely a repurposed old mine shaft that winds up serpentine towards the spaceport. So going around is faster but secrecy is better than speed for most Jedi. That's one theory another is there's probably more than one tunnel to get to the spaceport.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s ok so far. Better than Boba and not quite as good as Mando.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t like how the original Star Wars - A New Hope. Obi Wan faces Vader on the Death Star supposedly for the first time since “Anikin” was a student and Obi Wan was the “Master”

This series kinda puts cold water on that. Or maybe I’m misremembering something

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess my main issue so far is that I wish this was a little more 'Logan' than it is.

It appears Leia just got captured and we had three episodes with a competent Obi Wan actor and what appears to be a competent Leia actor. What we got is a dumb kid who ran into trouble twice and a dumb Obi Wan who had a waifu save his bacon twice and a fake Jedi save him once. Obi Wan in general doesnt come off as nearly as competent as Mando or Boba Fett. I'd imagine fans of Clone Wars would have a hard time with this because Obi Wan mentally ran circles around most opponents and physically held his own.

If we see arcs where Leia and Obi-Wan do smarter things in the final three episodes then I still think the show can be saved. Although I think the emphasis is on Obi Wan and not Leia because Leia is still a kid but I do think showing kids being clever can be done well in these types of movies. If they dont redeem Obi Wan, though, I suspect I wont watch this again.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t like how the original Star Wars - A New Hope. Obi Wan faces Vader on the Death Star supposedly for the first time since “Anikin” was a student and Obi Wan was the “Master”

This series kinda puts cold water on that. Or maybe I’m misremembering something
No. That’s a pretty widely held “complaint”. The “hope” is that they have another meeting and Obi wan schools Vader somehow.

Still a bit of a dance to work within canon, though. Having these major-ish events happen in the time Obi wan was supposedly living a quiet life as Ben the hermit is stretchy.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your memory is working just fine.

Darth Vader: "I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the master."

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your memory is working just fine.

Darth Vader: "I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the master."
As of right now, Vader last left Kenobi a smoldering heap by completely dominating him.
Which means Kenobi has to find his mojo again and outwit Vader in another battle before A New Hope.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess my main issue so far is that I wish this was a little more 'Logan' than it is.

It appears Leia just got captured and we had three episodes with a competent Obi Wan actor and what appears to be a competent Leia actor. What we got is a dumb kid who ran into trouble twice and a dumb Obi Wan who had a waifu save his bacon twice and a fake Jedi save him once. Obi Wan in general doesnt come off as nearly as competent as Mando or Boba Fett. I'd imagine fans of Clone Wars would have a hard time with this because Obi Wan mentally ran circles around most opponents and physically held his own.

If we see arcs where Leia and Obi-Wan do smarter things in the final three episodes then I still think the show can be saved. Although I think the emphasis is on Obi Wan and not Leia because Leia is still a kid but I do think showing kids being clever can be done well in these types of movies. If they dont redeem Obi Wan, though, I suspect I wont watch this again.

Very well said.

Leia's little girl version is annoying and the chase sequences are beyond laughable. Then Reva or whatever that Disney is all flipping out about because "OMG MEANIE HEADS ON THE INTERNET." Seems like it's less about Obi Wan and more about their dumbass Reva narrative, which is fine and all... but it's getting a little tiring with Disney constantly bringing back old characters only to push their actual motive to introduce new ones... like had they called the series Reva nobody probably would've really cared, but it could've been really interesting to follow the story of a Sith Inquisitor done correctly... but no, throw in "Obi-Wan" for the free ratings. Fuck you Mr. Mouse.

And how the hell did Obi Wan forget everything yet Vader spent 10 years in a tank and just remembers it all? Apparently the Sith (Vader and Reva) also picked up the force skill 'teleport' because they do it the entirety of the 3rd episode... and then some stupid dork saves Obi Wan from Vaders rock/crystal fire thingy.... by stopping him from conjuring fire, only to then re-create the fire while Vader somehow is now like, "ZOGMF fire." And they all retreat and-

AH FUCK THIS SERIES.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very well said.

Leia's little girl version is annoying and the chase sequences are beyond laughable. Then Reva or whatever that Disney is all flipping out about because "OMG MEANIE HEADS ON THE INTERNET." Seems like it's less about Obi Wan and more about their dumbass Reva narrative, which is fine and all... but it's getting a little tiring with Disney constantly bringing back old characters only to push their actual motive to introduce new ones... like had they called the series Reva nobody probably would've really cared, but it could've been really interesting to follow the story of a Sith Inquisitor done correctly... but no, throw in "Obi-Wan" for the free ratings. Fuck you Mr. Mouse.

And how the hell did Obi Wan forget everything yet Vader spent 10 years in a tank and just remembers it all? Apparently the Sith (Vader and Reva) also picked up the force skill 'teleport' because they do it the entirety of the 3rd episode... and then some stupid dork saves Obi Wan from Vaders rock/crystal fire thingy.... by stopping him from conjuring fire, only to then re-create the fire while Vader somehow is now like, "ZOGMF fire." And they all retreat and-

AH FUCK THIS SERIES.
The Big Bang Theory Reaction GIF

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First post I mentioned that I was worried that the 3rd sister would take over the plot like Jedi fallen Order and they literally turned Obi Wan into Jedi fallen Order except even the video game knew enough to make Vader a bigger focus.

I think someone who hasn't played Jedi fallen Order might like this series better but honestly it's just bad.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one redeeming value of ep4 is that its one of the campiest things Ive seen in awhile. Stealth/espionage missions in a prequel obviously dont work because there is no tension in knowing who succeeds and fails because we already know the answer. So the episode practically yadda yadda yaddas all of the usual stealth tropes and its actually rather comical. Doing the same thing that Jedi Fallen Order - an IP with characters not locked into a specific fate - is really dumb.

This is so obviously a cash-in just to get anything on Disney+ that is 1) Star Wars and well....you know. Not just a bunch of white guys saving the day. And thats fine except that the title is Obi-Wan Kenobi and it really should just be called Jedi Fallen Order 2: the Search for More Money

I am tapping out after this episode.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one redeeming value of ep4 is that its one of the campiest things Ive seen in awhile. Stealth/espionage missions in a prequel obviously dont work because there is no tension in knowing who succeeds and fails because we already know the answer. So the episode practically yadda yadda yaddas all of the usual stealth tropes and its actually rather comical. Doing the same thing that Jedi Fallen Order - an IP with characters not locked into a specific fate - is really dumb.

This is so obviously a cash-in just to get anything on Disney+ that is 1) Star Wars and well....you know. Not just a bunch of white guys saving the day. And thats fine except that the title is Obi-Wan Kenobi and it really should just be called Jedi Fallen Order 2: the Search for More Money

I am tapping out after this episode.

The series isn't that bad. But episode 4 does have some dumb writing

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the good news in this series is that Darth Vader isnt a pussy.