• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t like how the original Star Wars - A New Hope. Obi Wan faces Vader on the Death Star supposedly for the first time since “Anikin” was a student and Obi Wan was the “Master”

This series kinda puts cold water on that. Or maybe I’m misremembering something
This is a very valid concern but I'm going to play devil's advocate here. It involves some mental gymnastics but no more than what's required to explain away countless other continuity issues from one movie to the next in Lucas' 6 movies.

At the time the line was spoken, I don't think any specific backstory was in mind. It was simply said as pre-duel banter and to support Obiwan's exposition earlier of there being some history. One could easily infer that the line is all one thought flowing together meaning "We're meeting for the first time since I left you." Good chance that was the intent at the time but that's not what was explicitly stated.

This is going to sound like a major stretch especially to anyone that has always interpreted it one way. If nothing else, it's certainly awkward wording, but theoretically "I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last." and "The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the master." could be two separate thoughts even if that wasn't the original intent. Also when exactly did Anakin leave Obiwan? To me he left him in Palpetine's office after cutting off Windu's hand and kneeling and rising before Darth Sideous. So as far as I can tell, Lucas already retconned the original intent for that line. Anakin was already too far gone before their duel on Mustafar. He was angry with Padme for leading him there. It was Obiwan who eventually let go and left Anakin on Mustafar.

Just another take, but it is a bit awkward like many of the other explanations for inconsistencies. I predict another coming in Episode 6 regarding another matter.

Last edited:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The series isn't that bad. But episode 4 does have some dumb writing
Its the worst thing related to the Star Wars IP that I've seen. I've seen a lot, too, although I did skip Rise of Skywalker

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its the worst thing related to the Star Wars IP that I've seen. I've seen a lot, too, although I did skip Rise of Skywalker
Christmas Special? Ewok movies?

Seriously, though, I know what you mean. Not sure i agree, but I get it.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Christmas Special? Ewok movies?

Seriously, though, I know what you mean. Not sure i agree, but I get it.
I'll admit I haven't seen everything.

But this is dumb and pointless. It makes the prequels seem like the 'good ol days' and thats not a good place for a series to be. Its getting outshined by a video game that had interesting characters and a bad plot. Also not a great place to be

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll admit I haven't seen everything.

But this is dumb and pointless. It makes the prequels seem like the 'good ol days' and thats not a good place for a series to be. Its getting outshined by a video game that had interesting characters and a bad plot. Also not a great place to be
This was my first impression too... This series really puts the prequel movies on a pedestal, where they were largely regarded as being in the basement prior. But they knew the risk before putting this series out.

That said... I'm not opposed to this series. I'm bored enough to watch & have enjoyed some of the connections. It hasn't pissed me off yet so here's to hoping it can continue that trend lol.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was my first impression too... This series really puts the prequel movies on a pedestal, where they were largely regarded as being in the basement prior. But they knew the risk before putting this series out.

That said... I'm not opposed to this series. I'm bored enough to watch & have enjoyed some of the connections. It hasn't pissed me off yet so here's to hoping it can continue that trend lol.
I am holding my real opinion til the end of the series. They have created some real holes (primarily Vader/Obi Wan), but I want to see how/if they attempt to fill those holes before I sling mud.

My MAIN complaint, which I don’t think they can fix, is why Reva decided to kidnap Leia in the first place. I explained my issues with this upthread, so I won’t expand on them here, but this is pure plot-logic (in the vein of plot armor) and makes no sense whatsoever.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far this has been highly disappointing. There aren't just holes in the writing, there are black holes. The acting hasn't been particularly good either, especially the inquisitors which are WAY over the top.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am holding my real opinion til the end of the series. They have created some real holes (primarily Vader/Obi Wan), but I want to see how/if they attempt to fill those holes before I sling mud.

My MAIN complaint, which I don’t think they can fix, is why Reva decided to kidnap Leia in the first place. I explained my issues with this upthread, so I won’t expand on them here, but this is pure plot-logic (in the vein of plot armor) and makes no sense whatsoever.
Agreed with the holding off on the opinion. Gotta let it play out.

Only minor complaints so far on my end. But its really nitpicking lol.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Then you clearly haven't seen Resistance.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then you clearly haven't seen Resistance.
I haven't. Is it about something other than a Resistance?

Obi Wan should be over right now. He rescued Leia and escaped. There is a tracking device but that shouldn't matter because the empire should assume that Leia will go back home and has no reason to think she or Obi Wan would stay with the resistance. The third sister should be dead. Although obi wan probably should be healing in a tank somewhere.... none of this makes any sense.

The hard part of the show was explaining how Obi Wan could get in and out of a max security prison.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Obi Wan should be over right now. He rescued Leia and escaped. There is a tracking device but that shouldn't matter because the empire should assume that Leia will go back home and has no reason to think she or Obi Wan would stay with the resistance. The third sister should be dead. Although obi wan probably should be healing in a tank somewhere.... none of this makes any sense.

The hard part of the show was explaining how Obi Wan could get in and out of a max security prison.
At this point, the logic/plot holes keep getting worse and they are almost too big for me. I might give them one more episode, but I'm on the edge of giving up on this one. Suspending belief is one thing, but stacking unlikely scenarios on top of each other--and doing it in just a few episodes--is quite another. It's like if TWD had Glenn be safe under the dumpster or the van flip over the bridge in every episode.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's one of the animated shows. It takes place during the events of the sequel movies. It's dreadfully awful. A rare miss from Dave Filoni, whose SW projects have typically been good.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point, the logic/plot holes keep getting worse and they are almost too big for me. I might give them one more episode, but I'm on the edge of giving up on this one. Suspending belief is one thing, but stacking unlikely scenarios on top of each other--and doing it in just a few episodes--is quite another. It's like if TWD had Glenn be safe under the dumpster or the van flip over the bridge in every episode.
I'm with you, this is the laziest writing I've ever seen. I'll stick it out since there aren't too many shows I actually watch but they really fucked this one up.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you, this is the laziest writing I've ever seen. I'll stick it out since there aren't too many shows I actually watch but they really fucked this one up.
Glad you can stick it out, but I can't reward that kind of BS writing. Like you said, it's just lazy and I think it takes fans and viewers for granted.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's one of the animated shows. It takes place during the events of the sequel movies. It's dreadfully awful. A rare miss from Dave Filoni, whose SW projects have typically been good.
I think they bailed on it too quickly. Clone Wars S1 was a bit rough because it didn’t realize yet that the true target audience was adults. If Resistance was give more time to find itself, I think it had some potential.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The triumvirate of Filoni, Favreau and Lucas is about as perfect a team as is possible. But Kennedy wants to make her political statements take center stage rather than the story/universe take center stage.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.How does Reeva know about Obi Wan being set on fire by Vader when she was busy in town exploring the tunnel system thing (doubt Vader told her or any others)?

2. Why torture Leia if you already put a tracking thing on her droid that would lead them to the resistance?