• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Star Wars General Discussion Thread

tech_iceman

#winning
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was placed in the frontier because the were rebels on the run...

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 10 Reasons Proving Boba Fett Killed Luke Skywalker's Aunt and Uncle - Toptenz.net

Pretty good read for Star Wars fans. Yeah, I am nerd and read The Mandalorian Armor series from Boba Fett...and yes it could be possible.

The_Mandalorian_Armor_Cover.gif

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May the force be taken away from you.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting read. I'm sold on this theory. But I have a tough time buying that a fully-turned Vader actually gave a rat's ass about his step-brother and his wife that he only met briefly once, especially since he could easily accuse them of failing to protect his mother. Not to mention he had no problem force-choking Padme and trying to kill Obi Wan (the 2 closest people to him for more than a decade) when he was only about 85-90% Vader.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From 2000 to 2005 which actors would you have cast as Anakin Skywalker in place of Hayden Christensen?

To me telling the backstory of Darth Vader and casting the right actor to play a young Anakin Skywalker is on par with Francis Ford Coppolla's casting of a young Vito Corleone in The Godfather II.

Can you imagine if Coppolla had cast someone of similar talent as Hayden Christensen rather than Robert De Niro to follow up Marlon Brando!?

George Lucas created the most iconic villain in film history and his backstory was supposed to be one of the most compelling stories to tell...and he butchers it with an actor like Hayden Christensen...

If I could go back in time these are my choices to recast

1) Christian Bale

Episode II: Attack of the Clones
giphy.gif

Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
1b0a71b380ae58f793f1389df9e6227a.jpg 8dddc1dec0458646264ddab18b7d3de7.jpg

2) Heath Ledger

tumblr_lhlouukJa81qe5zgi.jpg

6114-heath-ledger.jpg

3) Leonardo Dicaprio

Leonardo-Dicaprio-Haircut.jpg

images%252Fslides%252FGangsofNY.jpg

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you seen the prequels? Casting a great actor to play Anakin in those films would be like finding the absolutely perfect tasting kernel of corn in a massive turd.

Don't know. Don't care. There's great Star Wars happening right now. Fuck the prequels.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you seen the prequels? Casting a great actor to play Anakin in those films would be like finding the absolutely perfect tasting kernel of corn in a massive turd.

Don't know. Don't care. There's great Star Wars happening right now. Fuck the prequels.

I have and just recently watched it again. Episode I is completely irrelevant. Episode II is decent. Episode III was where I thought they were just starting to get it right.

The Force Awakens was one of my favorite films of the year, but so much of it just felt like an updated carbon copy of Episode IV. It's basically this generation's Star Wars. I had hoped for something more original. Don't get me wrong...I loved it. I've seen it three times.

But to me the story of a prequel and the idea to tell Darth Vader's backstory...if done correctly would have been more compelling than what we saw in The Force Awakens.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't matter who was cast, without a complete rewrite you could have put DeNiro and Brando in those roles and it was still a flop.

If you're a star wars fan and ever have the time, go watch Mr Plinkett's reviews of episode 1,2,and 3 on youtube. They're each about about an hour and a half long but they go in depth and break down all of the problems with the three films, yet they still remain interesting. Guy must be like a college film professor or something, they're very good movie reviews.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Dicaprio or Ledger. I think Star Wars wanted to give the role to someone that was relatively unknown. Dicaprio was a pretty big name by then but I don't think Ledger was aside from a supporting role in The Patriot so I think he could have been a good fit.

That being said, with a different director and less cheesy lines Hayden Christiansen might have been fine. A better actor probably could have done better despite Lucas' directing though.

A key point in the prequels that really could have sold Hayden Christiansen as Darth Vader was his dialogue on Mustafar with Padme first and then especially with Obi-Wan. This was when he was really transitioning to Vader. All he had to do was watch all the Vader footage from the originals over and over and listen to how James Earl Jones delivered the lines. Don't worry about the voice of course as the suit can explain that but at least try to speak with the same speed, tone etc. When I hear him yell to Obi-Wan "You will not take her from me!" I cringe every time. It would have been so easy to say that more Vader-like. All he had to do was say it a bit slower and put the accent on the word "not" instead of "take". The closest he came to nailing it was his 3 word line of "You will try." right before their duel.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record I actually think the story of the prequels was pretty decent. Anakin starting his turn because of the death of his mother, and his fear of losing his wife being what completed it (neither of whom are mentioned once in the originals), I thought worked pretty well. Meanwhile having Palpatine manipulating everyone and playing both sides of a war to gain power was pretty cool despite the necessary politics.

Without the enormous amount if CGI, bad directing/acting, some incredibly cheesy lines, and some dreadful minor characters (not just Jar Jar but stuff like the Dot Matrix wannabe waitress droid in the 50s style diner on Corisanthe) the prequels could have been epic!

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been hearing/reading that Hayden Christiansen will be bringing back the role of Anakin/Vader at some point during the new Disney movies. It sounds like a very good possibility that Vader will appear in Rogue One but it would have to be James Earl Jones (or someone that sounds like him) delivering the lines. A lot of people could play Vader in the suit. I know David Prowse had a falling out with Lucas and maybe some of the other cast, but with Lucas out of the picture and the rest of the cast not involved (except maybe Anthony Daniels), is there any reason they can't bring Prowse back to play Vader? Not sure what relationship he had with James Earl Jones, if any, but I don't think they'd have to interact at all. I know he's old but he can still walk, right? I believe they used a stunt man for a lot of the light saber scenes in the originals anyway. Even if it can't be Prowse, it should be someone closer to his height which I don't think Christiansen is. So unless there are scenes without his mask, there really wouldn't be any need for Christiansen, and even then they could get by with someone else since the face is deformed by this time anyway.

I'm also hearing he could be in the trilogy too at some point either via a flashback, vision, or Force ghost. I've also heard some unlikely theories of Snoke and Kylo Ren either resurrecting Vader or cloning him, which is why Ren is collecting Vader artifacts because he needs them to work their Force magic.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been hearing/reading that Hayden Christiansen will be bringing back the role of Anakin/Vader at some point during the new Disney movies. It sounds like a very good possibility that Vader will appear in Rogue One but it would have to be James Earl Jones (or someone that sounds like him) delivering the lines. A lot of people could play Vader in the suit. I know David Prowse had a falling out with Lucas and maybe some of the other cast, but with Lucas out of the picture and the rest of the cast not involved (except maybe Anthony Daniels), is there any reason they can't bring Prowse back to play Vader? Not sure what relationship he had with James Earl Jones, if any, but I don't think they'd have to interact at all. I know he's old but he can still walk, right? I believe they used a stunt man for a lot of the light saber scenes in the originals anyway. Even if it can't be Prowse, it should be someone closer to his height which I don't think Christiansen is. So unless there are scenes without his mask, there really wouldn't be any need for Christiansen, and even then they could get by with someone else since the face is deformed by this time anyway.

I'm also hearing he could be in the trilogy too at some point either via a flashback, vision, or Force ghost. I've also heard some unlikely theories of Snoke and Kylo Ren either resurrecting Vader or cloning him, which is why Ren is collecting Vader artifacts because he needs them to work their Force magic.

Darth Vader will definitely make an appearance in Rogue One. Disney spent billions to purchase the rights to Star Wars so they have to find a way to include the most iconic villain in film history.

And the rumor of Hayden appearing in the trilogy is true. Originally he was in the script to appear in The Force Awakens. It went as far as having concept art developed until the idea was scrapped all together.

anakin-force-awakens-pic-2v2.jpg

I like the look and wouldn't mind if they utilize him either in Episode 8 or 9 as long as its just a minor role. I'm intrigued to see where they take the story next. Kylo Ren was a big disappointment for me. I expected a more menacing villain.

All is forgiven though if we see his story arc take a dramatic change once "Snoke finishes his training."

And I agree with including James Earl Jones. Disney should record as much material of him voicing Vader as possible because he is getting up there in age. I believe today he turned 85.

With so many greats going away lately you never know when someone like James Earl Jones might go.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record I actually think the story of the prequels was pretty decent. Anakin starting his turn because of the death of his mother, and his fear of losing his wife being what completed it (neither of whom are mentioned once in the originals), I thought worked pretty well. Meanwhile having Palpatine manipulating everyone and playing both sides of a war to gain power was pretty cool despite the necessary politics.

Without the enormous amount if CGI, bad directing/acting, some incredibly cheesy lines, and some dreadful minor characters (not just Jar Jar but stuff like the Dot Matrix wannabe waitress droid in the 50s style diner on Corisanthe) the prequels could have been epic!
My contention is that the biggest problem with the prequels (which I actually enjoy immensely) is the dialogue. The only actor that was able to salvage it was McGregor. I thought the stories were great. Less CGI and more thought/effort put into the dialogue writing and these would be remembered very differently.... but obviously those are two huge aspects of the movie. LOL

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Prowse isn't in the best of health but he and I are the same height so I'll do it as a favor to him. And you're right Christensen is about 5" shorter than Prowse.

As per the second part... Kylo Ren does mention something to Hux about clones. You may be on to something.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd probably go with Chadwick Boseman or Rob Brown. I think both would do a great job. It would probably go to Boseman as he is the bigger of the two, but I really liked Rob Brown in Treme and The Express.