• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Star Wars General Discussion Thread

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured he'd be the comic-guy from the Simpsons?:noidea:

I guess I was thinking that Tarantino is more the obsessive know-it-all type. But he's not even a little bit Jewish either though, so my comment works both ways anyway :wink:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be crazy, but even in today's world I don't think I could buy either of those guys as Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher's father. :wink:
All they would have had to do is make their mom Mexican.

My sis-in-law tells us all that you can NEVER know what races baby will come out if a Mexican woman. It may be white, it may be Asian, it may be black. You just never know.

At least that is what she always told us...

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They all would have been doomed due to the way Lucas wanted the lines delivered.

True a lot of good actors came out flat in all of those movies. That being said I like the prequels. They got me into Star Wars. Even Phantom Menace, which was the first SW movie I ever watched.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's too bad they weren't able to wait a few more years for Jake Lloyd to grow into the role. It seems like he turned to the Dark Side in real life. It's too bad some people blamed a 9 year old for Episode I being a bit of a flop.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's too bad they weren't able to wait a few more years for Jake Lloyd to grow into the role. It seems like he turned to the Dark Side in real life. It's too bad some people blamed a 9 year old for Episode I being a bit of a flop.

Dude, I think that you're probably really crossing a line characterizing someone who I believe became schizophrenic as having "turned to the Dark Side".

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, I think that you're probably really crossing a line characterizing someone who I believe became schizophrenic as having "turned to the Dark Side".

It had more to do with assaulting his mother and his high speed chase.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It had more to do with assaulting his mother and his high speed chase.

I might be going out on a limb here, but I think that his schizophrenia might have had something to do with both of those things.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And so it's wrong to acknowledge those behaviours?

No, it's not wrong to call those actions bad. But portraying the schizophrenic who committed them as "evil" because of them seems like something rather different than that to me.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it's not wrong to call those actions bad. But portraying the schizophrenic who committed them as "evil" because of them seems like something rather different than that to me.

"Evil" is your choice of words, not mine. Again, I was simply commenting on the behaviours, not the condition or motivation. Nobody chooses schizophrenia, and from what I know of Star Wars, nobody actively chooses to turn to the Dark Side either.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Evil" is your choice of words, not mine. Again, I was simply commenting on the behaviours, not the condition or motivation. Nobody chooses schizophrenia, and from what I know of Star Wars, nobody actively chooses to turn to the Dark Side either.

I'm going to start off by saying that I am far from an expert on all things Star Wars, so if anyone wants to correct me on any details or offer their two cents, by all means go ahead.

I guess what I'm thinking is that the nature of the delusion can be different. Numbnuts knew full well what he was doing when he slaughtered that bunch of younglings who weren't threatening him in any way, but he was deluded in thinking that he was doing it with good intentions for some larger good purpose. Whereas I'm not sure that Jake knew full well what was happening in reality or what he was actually doing.

I guess it's kind of like the difference between murdering your wife because you think she might physically harm your daughter at some point in the future and murdering your wife because you think she's actively physically harming your daughter using her mind while she's sitting at the breakfast table.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to start off by saying that I am far from an expert on all things Star Wars, so if anyone wants to correct me on any details or offer their two cents, by all means go ahead.

I guess what I'm thinking is that the nature of the delusion can be different. Numbnuts knew full well what he was doing when he slaughtered that bunch of younglings who weren't threatening him in any way, but he was deluded in thinking that he was doing it with good intentions for some larger good purpose. Whereas I'm not sure that Jake knew full well what was happening in reality or what he was actually doing.

I guess it's kind of like the difference between murdering your wife because you think she might physically harm your daughter at some point in the future and murdering your wife because you think she's actively physically harming your daughter using her mind while she's sitting at the breakfast table.

Let's just leave it at that then. I didn't mean to imply that Jake turned evil. In fact I feel bad for him. I think he was dealt a pretty shitty hand. Although initially it appeared to be the opposite, kind of like the character he is most famous for portraying. I thought it seemed like a bit of an interesting parallel, but clearly with some major differences too. In hindsight I can see how it could have been perceived differently than intended.

Last edited:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's just leave it at that then. I didn't mean to imply that Jake turned evil. In fact I feel bad for him. I think he was dealt a pretty shitty hand. Although initially it appeared to be the opposite, kind of like the character he is most famous for portraying. I thought it seemed like a bit of an interesting parallel, but clearly with some major differences too. In hindsight I can see how it could have been perceived differently than intended.
This is a casual message board and you made a joke that did not withstand the scrutiny of a serious eye.

How dare you.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a casual message board and you made a joke that did not withstand the scrutiny of a serious eye.

How dare you.

Not sure what that rainbow rating is supposed to mean but somehow it seemed appropriate. :suds:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How dare you.

Um, yeah. You might have noticed that I wasn't exactly tearing into him about it.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fairness to Portman, one of my favorite lines in all seven movies comes out of her mouth when she says "So this is how liberty dies... with thunderous applause."
My favorite line in all 7 movies is very deep, philosophical and well thought out. Most people don't understand what he meant but that's mainly because of his accent and his habitual tendency to let his emotions influence the tone of his comments. Here are all of my favorite lines from him...

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been hearing/reading that Hayden Christiansen will be bringing back the role of Anakin/Vader at some point during the new Disney movies. It sounds like a very good possibility that Vader will appear in Rogue One but it would have to be James Earl Jones (or someone that sounds like him) delivering the lines. A lot of people could play Vader in the suit. I know David Prowse had a falling out with Lucas and maybe some of the other cast, but with Lucas out of the picture and the rest of the cast not involved (except maybe Anthony Daniels), is there any reason they can't bring Prowse back to play Vader? Not sure what relationship he had with James Earl Jones, if any, but I don't think they'd have to interact at all. I know he's old but he can still walk, right? I believe they used a stunt man for a lot of the light saber scenes in the originals anyway. Even if it can't be Prowse, it should be someone closer to his height which I don't think Christiansen is. So unless there are scenes without his mask, there really wouldn't be any need for Christiansen, and even then they could get by with someone else since the face is deformed by this time anyway.

I'm also hearing he could be in the trilogy too at some point either via a flashback, vision, or Force ghost. I've also heard some unlikely theories of Snoke and Kylo Ren either resurrecting Vader or cloning him, which is why Ren is collecting Vader artifacts because he needs them to work their Force magic.
If I remember correctly, Prowse wasn't aware his voice wasn't going to be used in the actual film. I am not sure if he found out once the movie was screened or not but I know he wasn't happy with Lucas misleading him by not telling him.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leonardo Dicaprio.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this is the reason he was unable to direct Ep. IX once Trevorrow was booted. All the buzz is that Last Jedi is fantastic, and I'm a big fan of the tone it looks like Rian Johnson took with it, so I am really happy he's taking this on.

The Skywalker saga couldn't last forever, so I think with this announcement it's safe to say it comes to an end with these last 2 films. Rey and Finn might continue, but I believe Luke is a gonner in Ep. IX. I like that Disney may be eyeing an end point for a storyline. I hate when tv shows, for instance, drag shit out forever without knowing where they're going.

I'm hoping for an Old Republic trilogy that's completely disconnected from the Skywalker saga. Let's create a whole new universe of lore to explore within Star Wars instead of having to make everyone related for some reason.