• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi (2017)

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who is Snoke? Who are the possibilities?

Anakin - his body was burned in a pyre, but his helmet apparently survived, even though we saw it melt in VI. QuiGon figured out how to keep his consciousness post-death, so why couldn’t Anakin have figured out how to create a body to House his consciousness post-death? And Snokes scarring is somewhat consistent with old-Anakin. All that said, I just don’t see it. Too “easy”.

Obi-Wan - as for his body, all the same arguments used for Anakin apply. I don’t see a motive, though. Although, we REALLY don’t know what Snoke is trying to do yet. He may not even be the bad guy.

Palpatine - like Vader, I think this one is too easy. But the scaring COULD match up. And technically, he did get an off-camera death in VI.

Kanan - listed for completeness only. He was never even an actual Knight (well, not until Yoda basically gave him an honorary title). He was just a padwan who survived Order 66. I will be disappointed if they go this route.

Ezra - now THIS could be interesting. He has always been on the fence about which way he would ultimately go, and the final season of Rebels should finish up at about the time VIII is released, so the setup could be there. I am not a huge fan of the character, though, so I hope it isn’t him.

Luke - Hamil has stated that he was not expecting Luke to go in the direction that the movies are taking him. Does that indicate a full heal turn for Luke? It could explain Ben following Snoke. He never left Luke, he has remained loyal to his master at all times. This could also mean a more sinister meaning to Luke’s declaration that the Jedi must end. And it could explain the scene in the trailer of Rey face-to-face with Snoke. That may still take place on the island planet. Right now, I think this is my favorite theory.

Phantasma - I doubt it, but there have been rumors that she is meant for more. I would be shocked, though. I expect her to be revealed as a pretty major face before the end, regardless of the fight scene we got teased with between her and Fin.

Yoda - no way. Just listing him for completeness.

Maz - I don’t see it. Although, she is the one to set Rey on her journey, and it does appear as if Snoke is ultimately after Rey.

Oops...

I forgot one of the more major theories...

Plagueis - I have not read any canon books, so I don’t know a LOT about him outside of the fact that he was Palpatine’s old master and that Palpatine believes he killed him. But Plagueis had presumably figured out how to come back to life after death. At least that was Palpatine’s belief.

One other intriguing theory on Snoke is Mace Windu.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new full trailer looks pretty dark. I like that.
Seems to possibly have some major plot twists. I like that.

I haven't been all that excited about Episode 8 up to this point, but the new trailer showed just enough to build some.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read the other day something about Mark Hamil saying Episode IX was supposed to be Leia as main character. (With VIII as Luke). But then I read something about Abrams saying they wouldn't do CGI. So I don't know.

If Luke turned Anakin back. He can turn Kylo.

Yeah everything I have heard and read since Carrie Fisher passed away is that she was supposed to be a big part of Episode 9. It is most likely true but I'm hoping they were already killing her off in Episode 8 anyway and are just saying stuff to try to throw us off. Most likely just wishful thinking. I believe I heard that there will be no re-cast and no CGI Leia in Episode 9, so if she is still alive she'll be given an off-screen departure (not necessarily but probably death) from the story. They'd have to really change Episode 9 which could be part of the reason for the recent change in director for that movie.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Anakin - his body was burned in a pyre, but his helmet apparently survived, even though we saw it melt in VI. QuiGon figured out how to keep his consciousness post-death, so why couldn’t Anakin have figured out how to create a body to House his consciousness post-death? And Snokes scarring is somewhat consistent with old-Anakin. All that said, I just don’t see it. Too “easy”.

Obi-Wan - as for his body, all the same arguments used for Anakin apply. I don’t see a motive, though. Although, we REALLY don’t know what Snoke is trying to do yet. He may not even be the bad guy.

Palpatine - like Vader, I think this one is too easy. But the scaring COULD match up. And technically, he did get an off-camera death in VI.

Kanan - listed for completeness only. He was never even an actual Knight (well, not until Yoda basically gave him an honorary title). He was just a padwan who survived Order 66. I will be disappointed if they go this route.

Ezra - now THIS could be interesting. He has always been on the fence about which way he would ultimately go, and the final season of Rebels should finish up at about the time VIII is released, so the setup could be there. I am not a huge fan of the character, though, so I hope it isn’t him.

Luke - Hamil has stated that he was not expecting Luke to go in the direction that the movies are taking him. Does that indicate a full heal turn for Luke? It could explain Ben following Snoke. He never left Luke, he has remained loyal to his master at all times. This could also mean a more sinister meaning to Luke’s declaration that the Jedi must end. And it could explain the scene in the trailer of Rey face-to-face with Snoke. That may still take place on the island planet. Right now, I think this is my favorite theory.

Phantasma - I doubt it, but there have been rumors that she is meant for more. I would be shocked, though. I expect her to be revealed as a pretty major face before the end, regardless of the fight scene we got teased with between her and Fin.

Maz - I don’t see it. Although, she is the one to set Rey on her journey, and it does appear as if Snoke is ultimately after Rey.

I'll be surprised if Snoke is a character from one of the TV shows or other expanded material that has never been in any of the movies, but it's not entirely out of the question. I guess it would all depend on how this was revealed to the audience. It would need to be revealed as a brand new character because that's what he'd be to most, but at the same time it could be a bit of a nod to those who are familiar with the character.

Of the theories being thrown out there, my favorite is Plagueis. He could also be the result of a botched clone attempt of any number of Sith or maybe even Jedi, but that's a bit out there.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was Luke talking about Rey when he said he only felt such power once before? Or was he talking about Snoke? And who was the other one? Vader? Palpatine? Yoda? Ben/Kylo?

I think the trailer wants us to believe that he was talking about Rey being the recent one that scares him and Kylo being the previous time that did not scare him. Trailers can be intentionally misleading sometimes though so that doesn't necessarily mean that's what he was saying but it seemed to me that's how they want us to interpret that.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched the new trailer a handful of times now. Really pumped for this movie.

To me this trailer is mainly about Kylo Ren. Snoke's opening quotes about his raw power. Luke saying "he's seen this raw strength only once before". Pretty sure he is referring to his failure with Kylo. And the glimpses of the scene with Luke & the burning building could be when Kylo killed all those jedi student while training under Luke. Which of course has a lot to do with why Luke is on the path he is.

I think they gave us some classic misdirection with the Snoke/Rey & Kylo Ren/Rey tid bits during the trailer.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have some insider info... this new character is gonna surprise everyone:

Shrek Maul!

shrek-maul.jpg

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that was lame.

SIKE! It was DaBomb dot com!

They showed a lot more than I thought in the trailer. Can't wait.

Man, what if Snoke was once Luke's student? Luke had to put him down and disfigure him. Maybe that's who he means when he talks about that raw strength and not Kylo. Kylo already got bitch-slapped by Rey, anyway.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don’t think any of these are serious possibilities for Snoke. His appearance simply doesn’t match up with any one of them. I know the scarring is used as a justification, but frankly, I think it’s an incredibly weak argument when they look absolutely nothing alike.

I think the two possibilities are that Snoke is Plagueis or he’s an original character.

As for Rebels, I really hope that Benicio Del Torro’s character ends up being Ezra. From the timeline, he should be about Luke’s age, so it seems to fit. And I hope they don’t just go Rogue One and kill off all the Rebels characters.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Movie starts with The Last Jedi living on a rock, by himself, right? Has he just been trying to balance everything out with himself and tF for an entire generation? He's all gnarled and surly looking. Last time we saw him he was riding high as could be. It's gonna be wild to see what all
Has went on for him since the Ewok party in the Redwoods. .

What happens in the Redwoods...stays in the Redwoods.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think any of these are serious possibilities for Snoke. His appearance simply doesn’t match up with any one of them. I know the scarring is used as a justification, but frankly, I think it’s an incredibly weak argument when they look absolutely nothing alike.

I think the two possibilities are that Snoke is Plagueis or he’s an original character.

As for Rebels, I really hope that Benicio Del Torro’s character ends up being Ezra. From the timeline, he should be about Luke’s age, so it seems to fit. And I hope they don’t just go Rogue One and kill off all the Rebels characters.
I thought Ezra was about 15 years older than Luke. Putting him in his late 70s-early 80s.

BDT would be a great middle aged Ezra though. :thumb:

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, my $$$ is on Snoke being Plageius or a botched Sidious clone.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Ezra was about 15 years older than Luke. Putting him in his late 70s-early 80s.

BDT would be a great middle aged Ezra though. :thumb:

I just checked Wikipedia.

There is a 19 year gap between episode 3 and episode 4. So Luke is 19 years old in A New Hope.

Rebels started 5 years before episode 4 with a 15-year old Ezra Bridger. So Ezra is 20 years old during A New Hope.

So they’re really close in age.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Snoke?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved the last one. Think Rey is def reincarnated Vader. Totally lost on discussion on this new one tho.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just checked Wikipedia.

There is a 19 year gap between episode 3 and episode 4. So Luke is 19 years old in A New Hope.

Rebels started 5 years before episode 4 with a 15-year old Ezra Bridger. So Ezra is 20 years old during A New Hope.

So they’re really close in age.
Well, derp. Brain fart on my part. Thanks for the clarity.

I suppose BDT could definitely pass for a Mark Hamill. They're 16 apart irl. But BDT is kinda wrinkly. LOL

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So apparently that little creature seen with Chewy is called a Porg. I can't say I'm a big fan at this point. Hopefully when the movie comes out they will serve at least some purpose beyond merchandise sales. In my opinion, the fewer unnecessary CGI characters the better.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rey's parents could be irrelevant and were just 2 people we have never heard of that left Rey behind on Jakku for whatever reason? She also could be "force-sensitive" even if her parents weren't so its plausible they don't matter as much as we assume?

They should just be proud she didn't end up as one of Jabba's strippers after abandoning her like that.