• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1 - Capitals vs. Islanders

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hit on Visnovsky might have been worth a major penalty instead of a minor penalty, but if the NHL isn't going to suspend PK Subban for his slash, there's no way they can suspend Wilson. Not without showing that they have a double standard for star players (and you really don't want to let Ovechkin know that, knee on knee hits are his specialty, as is jumping into a hit, which Wilson did NOT do on this one). Wilson didn't aim up high, but he was hitting someone 6 inches shorter than him that bent down to brace for the hit. Our instinct to lower our head when we anticipate contact is actually very damaging sometimes.

Both of Wilson's penalties were reckless. There may have been intent on the first one, but it's hard to tell as it was happening pretty fast. There wasn't intent on his hit on Visnovsky, but it was reckless to the point that I wouldn't argue with it being a five minute major instead of a minor penalty.

Amirite?

There are two things that are going to prevent Wilson from skating around like an idiot.

1. Hit their guys harder
2. Score on the friggen PP when he does get a penalty so Trotz will keep that dummy on the bench.

I should emphasize #2 because this all probably wouldn't have happened had the Isles popped a few PP goals this series.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait....did a Ranger fan just undercut my joke here?

Not really. I was watching the game on Tuesday and Bossy was talking afterwards and he just looked like a walker. Guy knows his stuff though. I don't have a horse in this race (Except wanting 7 games) but it's a great series.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hit on Visnovsky might have been worth a major penalty instead of a minor penalty, but if the NHL isn't going to suspend PK Subban for his slash, there's no way they can suspend Wilson. Not without showing that they have a double standard for star players (and you really don't want to let Ovechkin know that, knee on knee hits are his specialty, as is jumping into a hit, which Wilson did NOT do on this one). Wilson didn't aim up high, but he was hitting someone 6 inches shorter than him that bent down to brace for the hit. Our instinct to lower our head when we anticipate contact is actually very damaging sometimes.

Both of Wilson's penalties were reckless. There may have been intent on the first one, but it's hard to tell as it was happening pretty fast. There wasn't intent on his hit on Visnovsky, but it was reckless to the point that I wouldn't argue with it being a five minute major instead of a minor penalty.

Amirite?

That's a fair assessment.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. I was watching the game on Tuesday and Bossy was talking afterwards and he just looked like a walker. Guy knows his stuff though. I don't have a horse in this race (Except wanting 7 games) but it's a great series.

Just keeping you in check Cyder!! :)

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grabovski is playing tonight. Nelson will be in the pressbox. Both Griffin Reinhart & Ryan Pulock will skate during warm ups. A decision will be made as to who will take Visnovski's spot at game time.

I'd like to see both guys actually. However, I won't be surprised one bit if Pulock gets the spot. He's a powerplay QB with a wicked shot.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grabovski is playing tonight. Nelson will be in the pressbox. Both Griffin Reinhart & Ryan Pulock will skate during warm ups. A decision will be made as to who will take Visnovski's spot at game time.

I'd like to see both guys actually. However, I won't be surprised one bit if Pulock gets the spot. He's a powerplay QB with a wicked shot.

I'm hoping Pulock plays as well. Reinhart is just too slow and we need help on the PP.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No pressure tonight Caps

Game 5s always feel like the most important ones. I mean, I know that's said about every game basically, and it's true, but in hard fought series, they always seem to be the linchpin.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping Pulock plays as well. Reinhart is just too slow and we need help on the PP.

Apparently Reinhart's play improved late in the season at Bridgeport. It's been talked about quite a bit as to why Reinhart's skating wasn't where it needed to be early in the season. He even talked about it himself. Reinhart bulked up to much in the offseason. Both of these guys are likely to be on the opening night roster in October.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why him? Shouldn't he be a fixture in the lineup?

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why him? Shouldn't he be a fixture in the lineup?

Capuano is a horrible coach that's why. He has such a love affair with Tyler Kennedy it's absurd. Nelson is a big body that had a pretty decent 20+ goal season. Grabner, who has shown flashes of his old self this season is also scratched over Kennedy.

It's maddening being an Islander fan with Fred Flinstone behind the bench.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on my way to the Verizon Center right now. I plan on vomiting like three of four times on my walk over. Only question is whether I'll be wearing my JT91 jersey or Trotts19 while keeled over.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on my way to the Verizon Center right now. I plan on vomiting like three of four times on my walk over. Only question is whether I'll be wearing my JT91 jersey or Trotts19 while keeled over.

I think the answer here is clear...Mr. Bryan "All I Do is Win" Trottier.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the answer here is clear...Mr. Bryan "All I Do is Win" Trottier.

Yep - everything pointed to the JT jersey since they lost the last game wearing the Trotts jersey but I can't waiver from what got me here!!

Ahhhh the ridiculous superstitions of a hockey fan/player. Good luck Caps fans.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep - everything pointed to the JT jersey since they lost the last game wearing the Trotts jersey but I can't waiver from what got me here!!

Ahhhh the ridiculous superstitions of a hockey fan/player. Good luck Caps fans.

I used to be much worse (still do the jersey shuffle thing...and I swear my Parise USA jersey was lucky back in 2010)...but THE worst was in 2009 SCF. I had to have a specific seat. I'd move after each period if things didn't go well, but sadly things went best when I was sitting on the arm of a chair pretty uncomfortable...but hey, it worked.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to be much worse (still do the jersey shuffle thing...and I swear my Parise USA jersey was lucky back in 2010)...but THE worst was in 2009 SCF. I had to have a specific seat. I'd move after each period if things didn't go well, but sadly things went best when I was sitting on the arm of a chair pretty uncomfortable...but hey, it worked.

I don't know how my wife does it........

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Capuano is a horrible coach that's why. He has such a love affair with Tyler Kennedy it's absurd. Nelson is a big body that had a pretty decent 20+ goal season. Grabner, who has shown flashes of his old self this season is also scratched over Kennedy.

It's maddening being an Islander fan with Fred Flinstone behind the bench.
I will take Brock Nelson + Dal Colle for Kessel, pls and thx.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I work just a few blocks from Verizon. If I see a guy hurling in an alley in a Tavares' jersey, I'll come introduce myself. ;)

Let's all hope for a good hockey game with no injuries on either side. :suds:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anders Lee fights Tom Wilson

Then Josh Bailey makes it 1-0 Islanders