• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1 - Capitals vs. Islanders

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Or if one of the teams involved is a bitter rival of the team you root for. :)

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Bossy is starting to look like a ventriloquist's dummy, must be the fake teeth.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of the Islanders complaints about the Wilson hit are ridiculous...

Tavares: "The puck wasn't anywhere close. Complete target of a defenseless player"

The facts here don't support that conclusion. Visnovsky had his head down. You don't have your head down looking for the puck if it isn't "anywhere close." The puck was not only close, it was in the immediate vicinity. Vis was actually whacking his stick towards the puck right as the hit was delivered. Res ipsa loquitur, Johnny. Next.

Okposo: "“He’s an idiot. That guy runs around, he hits reckless. He jumps, leaves his feet. There’s no place for that.”

He is a big hitter and he hits a lot. No doubt. I believe Matt Martin plays a similar role for your team. Wilson didn't leave his feet. Not at all. No video replay shows that to remotely be the case.

Hickey: "He went in to hurt our guy... (Lubo being hurt) makes me sick to my stomach."

He is like 5-6 inches taller than Vis and didn't hit him in the head. He didn't board him in the back. He didn't accelerate to get to him. He hit him in the open ice in the chest. It was a big hit. Hockey has big hits. This series has had LOTS of them on both sides. Visnoksky had his head down. Junior hockey 101.

Tavares: “We could have easily hit a lot of guys like that too. We stay within the rules and play the game the right way.”

How many times did the Caps get a game misconduct this year? 0, none, bagel. How many times did a Caps' player get suspended this year? Zilch, nada, zip. Nobody currently playing on the team has been suspended in the past 3 seasons. We hit hard, but we're not a dirty team in the slightest. The Isles want to put on their halos, I have a reminder for them. Both teams have been hitting hard. That's the kind of series it's been.

If the Isles want to keep playing the heavy game, we welcome it. That is more our game and we have no shortage of big hitters and nobody backing down.

It sucks that Visnovsky is hurt. I hope he's okay and back playing in game 5 or soon thereafter if not. I hope he didn't sustain anything serious or a concussion from this.

But these guys need to stop whining, shut their mouths, and play hockey.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tavares: "The puck wasn't anywhere close. Complete target of a defenseless player"

The facts here don't support that conclusion. Visnovsky had his head down. You don't have your head down looking for the puck if it isn't "anywhere close." The puck was not only close, it was in the immediate vicinity. Vis was actually whacking his stick towards the puck right as the hit was delivered. Res ipsa loquitur, Johnny. Next.

Okposo: "“He’s an idiot. That guy runs around, he hits reckless. He jumps, leaves his feet. There’s no place for that.”

He is a big hitter and he hits a lot. No doubt. I believe Matt Martin plays a similar role for your team. Wilson didn't leave his feet. Not at all. No video replay shows that to remotely be the case.

Hickey: "He went in to hurt our guy... (Lubo being hurt) makes me sick to my stomach."

He is like 5-6 inches taller than Vis and didn't hit him in the head. He didn't board him in the back. He didn't accelerate to get to him. He hit him in the open ice in the chest. It was a big hit. Hockey has big hits. This series has had LOTS of them on both sides. Visnoksky had his head down. Junior hockey 101.

Tavares: “We could have easily hit a lot of guys like that too. We stay within the rules and play the game the right way.”

How many times did the Caps get a game misconduct this year? 0, none, bagel. How many times did a Caps' player get suspended this year? Zilch, nada, zip. Nobody currently playing on the team has been suspended in the past 3 seasons. We hit hard, but we're not a dirty team in the slightest. The Isles want to put on their halos, I have a reminder for them. Both teams have been hitting hard. That's the kind of series it's been.

If the Isles want to keep playing the heavy game, we welcome it. That is more our game and we have no shortage of big hitters and nobody backing down.

It sucks that Visnovsky is hurt. I hope he's okay and back playing in game 5 or soon thereafter if not. I hope he didn't sustain anything serious or a concussion from this.

I won't defend any of those comments. The hit at it's core, was a big hit and that's it. I think the players are just mad because it was against one of their smaller players who was in a very vulnerable position because the puck was already in the corner. From what I remembered it was like the 2nd or 3rd time someone took a run at Lubo that game too.

I'm all for old time hockey, I'd love to see Wilson go toe to toe with Martin with the gloves off. I hate seeing those bigger hitting/goon type players target the smaller players. It's like Martin taking out a Marcus Johannsen who's 38 and has a history of concussions. You'd be pissed too.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did you have to ruin my day? *re-composes self*

I hate Wilson in the way that an opposing team fan should...because he's an annoying prick that toes the line. That hit was really fine. It was a huge hit, led to injury...welcome to hockey. I understand the players being annoyed, glass houses and all (Tavares' comment is the only one that really bugs me...probably a Cardinals flashback that makes me twitchy), but I think any "neutral" fan can see that hit wasn't cheap, just brutal.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't defend any of those comments. The hit at it's core, was a big hit and that's it. I think the players are just mad because it was against one of their smaller players who was in a very vulnerable position because the puck was already in the corner. From what I remembered it was like the 2nd or 3rd time someone took a run at Lubo that game too.

I'm all for old time hockey, I'd love to see Wilson go toe to toe with Martin with the gloves off. I hate seeing those bigger hitting/goon type players target the smaller players. It's like Martin taking out a Marcus Johannsen who's 38 and has a history of concussions. You'd be pissed too.

He put himself in a vulnerable position to play the puck. That's hockey. Wilson is targeting anyone who has the puck. You can't blame Wilson for Visnovsky being undersized.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you have to ruin my day? *re-composes self*

I hate Wilson in the way that an opposing team fan should...because he's an annoying prick that toes the line. That hit was really fine. It was a huge hit, led to injury...welcome to hockey. I understand the players being annoyed, glass houses and all (Tavares' comment is the only one that really bugs me...probably a Cardinals flashback that makes me twitchy), but I think any "neutral" fan can see that hit wasn't cheap, just brutal.

It wasn't cheap? See I still think it's cheap. I think it crosses over the line when you target a guy who's teenie and has a history of concussions. Insert Letang for Viz in this situation.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He put himself in a vulnerable position to play the puck. That's hockey. Wilson is targeting anyone who has the puck. You can't blame Wilson for Visnovsky being undersized.

No I'm not blaming it. It's unfortunate. Wilson took a run or two at Viz earlier. It wasn't the first time that game.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't cheap? See I still think it's cheap. I think it crosses over the line when you target a guy who's teenie and has a history of concussions. Insert Letang for Viz in this situation.

Except for the fact that it was a clean hit. You can "target" and hit a guy a million times and as long as the hit is clean.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess my feelings vs. Caps fans feelings are not going to see eye to eye on this....big surprised there. Let's just move on to Game 5. I think a guy like Laich might have to keep his head up tonight :)
Except for the fact that it was a clean hit. You can "target" and hit a guy a million times and as long as the hit is clean.

Not arguing that at all. Never once did I say it was dirty.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess my feelings vs. Caps fans feelings are not going to see eye to eye on this....big surprised there. Let's just move on to Game 5. I think a guy like Laich might have to keep his head up tonight :)

Not arguing that at all. Never once did I say it was dirty.

Yeah, not going to agree on this one. One last thing I'll say is that if the hit is clean, in my option, there's nothing to be argued. A guys history of concussions are the individual player's concern. No one owes that player anything other than giving him a clean hit, the same as everyone else on the ice.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

See, I don't think there's a guy out there, in the thick of a game, who has some sort of "concussion history" radar outside of maybe a guy like Crosby getting focused on (simply because of media coverage). Was he potentially trying to cause injury? Yeah, probably. Players talk all the time about how they hit to hurt not to injure, but that's BS...if they can take out a good player with a legal/borderline play, they'll do it. I think this is more a difference in definition of cheap. And the Letang thing is probably similar, and I hate Doan for his hit even if it was, similarly, borderline. Not saying you shouldn't find it as such, because when it's an important player to your team it just burns all the more.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hit on Visnovsky might have been worth a major penalty instead of a minor penalty, but if the NHL isn't going to suspend PK Subban for his slash, there's no way they can suspend Wilson. Not without showing that they have a double standard for star players (and you really don't want to let Ovechkin know that, knee on knee hits are his specialty, as is jumping into a hit, which Wilson did NOT do on this one). Wilson didn't aim up high, but he was hitting someone 6 inches shorter than him that bent down to brace for the hit. Our instinct to lower our head when we anticipate contact is actually very damaging sometimes.

Both of Wilson's penalties were reckless. There may have been intent on the first one, but it's hard to tell as it was happening pretty fast. There wasn't intent on his hit on Visnovsky, but it was reckless to the point that I wouldn't argue with it being a five minute major instead of a minor penalty.

Amirite?

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Bossy is starting to look like a ventriloquist's dummy, must be the fake teeth.

He actually looks like he should be trying to bite people in The Walking Dead. The guy looks like he died a while ago and forgot to lay down

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He actually looks like he should be trying to bite people in The Walking Dead. The guy looks like he died a while ago and forgot to lay down

Wait....did a Ranger fan just undercut my joke here?